The Student Room Group

Thing about the new A-levels change confuses me

Does that mean after Sept 2016 there is no way anyone can retake a particular year again? And that no retakes of exams before Sept 2016 are possible after that? From my understanding, one must take the whole two years til one gets a result
Reply 2
Original post by hunihuni
Does that mean after Sept 2016 there is no way anyone can retake a particular year again? And that no retakes of exams before Sept 2016 are possible after that? From my understanding, one must take the whole two years til one gets a result

Not true, there is really no change as far as re-taking goes-it's still possible to re-take a year if your college will let you. You don't have to start at the beginning of the course and re-take the full 2 years. What has changed is re-sitting. If you want to re-sit a new style AS or A level then you have to re-do all the exams for the course, i.e. (generally) all 2 for the AS or all 3 for the A level.

While the old spec A levels are still live their rules have not changed so you can re-sit as many or as few units as you want in order to achieve a better grade.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Not true, there is really no change as far as re-taking goes-it's still possible to re-take a year if your college will let you. You don't have to start at the beginning of the course and re-take the full 2 years. What has changed is re-sitting. If you want to re-sit a new style AS or A level then you have to re-do all the exams for the course, i.e. (generally) all 2 for the AS or all 3 for the A level.

While the old spec A levels are still live their rules have not changed so you can re-sit as many or as few units as you want in order to achieve a better grade.

so lets say I got a B in one unit in my Psychology A2 old, does that mean next year I must take the whole new Psychology to bump my grades?
Reply 4
so lets say I got a B in one unit in my Psychology A2 old, does that mean next year I must take the whole new Psychology to bump my grades?

It is highly likely that there will be one last chance to re-sit current spec A2 units next year (under the current rules) but the final decision on this won't be announced until April. The alternative would be to take all the exams for the new Psychology spec next Summer and what you got in those would entirely determine your grade..
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
It is highly likely that there will be one last chance to re-sit current spec A2 units next year (under the current rules) but the final decision on this won't be announced until April. The alternative would be to take all the exams for the new Psychology spec next Summer and what you got in those would entirely determine your grade..

thanks for the info pal!
Reply 6
Original post by Compost

One more question... with the new spec, is it still possible to do 1-year intensive A-level courses?
Reply 7
One more question... with the new spec, is it still possible to do 1-year intensive A-level courses?

Yes. You just study all the work in one year and take all the exams at the end of it. In some ways, given that new spec A levels mostly now have 3 exams rather than 4 or 6, it is rather simpler.

Quick Reply

Latest