Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recieved all my offers, and I know that Lancaster is definitely my firm choice, however, I'm wondering about my insurance choice.

Basically, my insurance choice is between York and Cumbria, and I haven't been to York but I like the Cumbrian Ambleside campus, and I believe I'll like the York one too. But I'm basically asking for opinions on York's campus as a location compared to Lancaster's campus if that makes sense? This is so I can make an earlier decision based upon my current choices, as I don't want to leave it as late as April to choose.

Thanks for any help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnmsyellow)
    I've recieved all my offers, and I know that Lancaster is definitely my firm choice, however, I'm wondering about my insurance choice.

Basically, my insurance choice is between York and Cumbria, and I haven't been to York but I like the Cumbrian Ambleside campus, and I believe I'll like the York one too. But I'm basically asking for opinions on York's campus as a location compared to Lancaster's campus if that makes sense? This is so I can make an earlier decision based upon my current choices, as I don't want to leave it as late as April to choose.

For which course? And what are the offers?

York's campus is on the edge of the city and you can walk in. Lancaster is further out and the town is smaller.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

York is a better university by far, although I'm not an advocate of league table nonsense. York's campus is outside the city centre and is 'modern' in the scheme of these things, but it's easily accessible to the city centre, and the city centre is a delight. By contrast, Lancaster is a concrete mess in the middle of nowhere and the nearest town is Morecambe. However, it is clear that different things appeal to different people, and my point is that you really shouldn't choose without looking for yourself. There is no rush to choose. The offers aren't going anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    York is a better university by far, although I'm not an advocate of league table nonsense. York's campus is outside the city centre and is 'modern' in the scheme of these things, but it's easily accessible to the city centre, and the city centre is a delight. By contrast, Lancaster is a concrete mess in the middle of nowhere and the nearest town is Morecambe. However, it is clear that different things appeal to different people, and my point is that you really shouldn't choose without looking for yourself. There is no rush to choose. The offers aren't going anywhere.
    Honestly, being from the Lancaster area, Lancaster doesn't feel like a concrete mess to me, but that's a nonissue, it's my firm, I like the place and the convinient location for doing Geo/Consv, while York is... less so. But again, Cumbria is less so too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    For which course? And what are the offers?

York's campus is on the edge of the city and you can walk in. Lancaster is further out and the town is smaller.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know about Lancaster, I'm essentially going for a choice between York and Cumbria for my insurance, based on location mostly, as they both do conservation courses with aspects that I'm looking at - notably GIS.

I'm going into Conservation Geography, with GEO being my firm at Lancaster, and Conservation / Env. Geography at York and Woodland Ecology & Conservation at Cumbria.

My question is basically just surrounding York Campus because I know what Ambleside is like, it's a short drive away, and the same for Lancaster, but as I said, that's my firm.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, being from the Lancaster area, Lancaster doesn't feel like a concrete mess to me, but that's a nonissue, it's my firm, I like the place and the convinient location for doing Geo/Consv, while York is... less so. But again, Cumbria is less so too.
    As I said, it's such a personal thing that you really need to see it for yourself. The times I've been to Lancaster have made me find it a place I would be very unhappy in. You don't find it like that, which shows that anything anyone might say to you about York Vs Cumbria will have no validity for you, because you aren't them. Go and see. It's a nice day out, if nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, it's such a personal thing that you really need to see it for yourself. The times I've been to Lancaster have made me find it a place I would be very unhappy in. You don't find it like that, which shows that anything anyone might say to you about York Vs Cumbria will have no validity for you, because you aren't them. Go and see. It's a nice day out, if nothing else.
    Yeah it's just with the April open day, York's campus looks pretty amazing, but then again, there's the old 70s looking buildings, Lancaster is fairly modernised.

Then again, York has a new Env. centre, so I'm thinking that, despite the appeal of living in Ambleside, I might set york as my insurance. You see my problem? :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's just with the April open day, York's campus looks pretty amazing, but then again, there's the old 70s looking buildings, Lancaster is fairly modernised.

Then again, York has a new Env. centre, so I'm thinking that, despite the appeal of living in Ambleside, I might set york as my insurance. You see my problem? :P
    You don't have to finalise until May, and you don't have to go on an official open day. You'll get a better idea of what the place s really like if you don't. Call and ask if you can go on a different day. They'll say yes.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to finalise until May, and you don't have to go on an official open day. You'll get a better idea of what the place s really like if you don't. Call and ask if you can go on a different day. They'll say yes.
    Ah right, that sounds like a good idea tbh

ReputationRep:
    They'll probably suggest a Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    They'll probably suggest a Wednesday.
    Unless you are planning to go home for weekends you might want to visit the city of York on a weekend as well. Few mothers would need asking twice! York is a tourist mecca and if that isn't the environment where you want to spend three years, it would be as well to find out. I appreciate that Ambleside has tourists as well but people go to Ambleside to get cold and wet. I don't think there is anywhere in the UK where tourists impinge on the city as much as York; certainly they don't in Oxford, Edinburgh and Bloomsbury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Unless you are planning to go home for weekends you might want to visit the city of York on a weekend as well. Few mothers would need asking twice! York is a tourist mecca and if that isn't the environment where you want to spend three years, it would be as well to find out. I appreciate that Ambleside has tourists as well but people go to Ambleside to get cold and wet. I don't think there is anywhere in the UK where tourists impinge on the city as much as York; certainly they don't in Oxford, Edinburgh and Bloomsbury.
    There are probably as many fudge shops in York as there are tartan tat shops in Edinburgh - I know both very well. Can't agree that York is worse than Edinburgh in August. I would rather the tourists weren't there, but being one I am not in a position to complain, and it doesn't stop me going to either of them because they are both cities which are worth going to and a privilege to be in. It is clearly a matter of personal choice. I have only been twice to Oxford, so can't comment there, and if Bloomsbury is crowded when I go in June, I shall regard it as being only fair, since I will be a tourist from someone else's perspective. We cannot have one rule for me and one rule for every other tourist.

As for Ambleside, you are either a person who likes to be in the countryside, with or without other people, or you are not. I am not. Cities are full of people. It's what makes them cities, and I'm an urbanite.

ReputationRep:
    There are probably as many fudge shops in York as there are tartan tat shops in Edinburgh - I know both very well. Can't agree that York is worse than Edinburgh in August. I would rather the tourists weren't there, but being one I am not in a position to complain, and it doesn't stop me going to either of them because they are both cities which are worth going to and a privilege to be in. It is clearly a matter of personal choice. I have only been twice to Oxford, so can't comment there, and if Bloomsbury is crowded when I go in June, I shall regard it as being only fair, since I will be a tourist from someone else's perspective. We cannot have one rule for me and one rule for every other tourist.

As for Ambleside, you are either a person who likes to be in the countryside, with or without other people, or you are not. I am not. Cities are full of people. It's what makes them cities, and I'm an urbanite.
    Ah well I prefer the isolation of the countryside, and Lancaster kinda fits the bill there too, it's pretty far from the actual city itself.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well I prefer the isolation of the countryside, and Lancaster kinda fits the bill there too, it's pretty far from the actual city itself.
    Well, that's a start, then.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster's better if you like awe inspiring hills... york might edge it if you prefer looking at yawn inspiring planes (IMO)

ReputationRep:
    As a city York is much nicer, historic, but lively too.
    Lancaster has overall better accommodation but not sure about Cumbria uni. York is fairly expensive but a nice campus overall

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.