Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    This is flat out wrong for undergraduate level and even for research in a lot of areas.
    Tell me more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Tell me more...

As a mature student, I'll put another shout out for Durham. I'm 25 as well, off to study Comp Sci in Oct.

Although, I'm sure it varies by department, they valued my life experience a lot more than other universities and were able to relate to a lot of the issues I might have as an older student doing the course. Plus, Durham is a beautiful university town with tons of tradition...compared to shottingham, which is rather bland. Also, Durham seems to be able 10 places higher in most league tables than Notts.

That said, I based my decision heavily on my interactions with the undergraduate lecturers and admissions tutors regardless of ranking as I believe having lecturers that understand and respect is are far more important than a few places on a league table.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    As a mature student, I'll put another shout out for Durham. I'm 25 as well, off to study Comp Sci in Oct.

Although, I'm sure it varies by department, they valued my life experience a lot more than other universities and were able to relate to a lot of the issues I might have as an older student doing the course. Plus, Durham is a beautiful university town with tons of tradition...compared to shottingham, which is rather bland. Also, Durham seems to be able 10 places higher in most league tables than Notts.

That said, I based my decision heavily on my interactions with the undergraduate lecturers and admissions tutors regardless of ranking as I believe having lecturers that understand and respect is are far more important than a few places on a league table.

SS
    Hiya,

Yes I've seen some of your posts about Durham. I really want to go, but haven't heard back and am feeling less hopeful by the minute! It's physics dept is ranked 4th in the UK soooo......

Will you be on a foundation year?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Yes I've seen some of your posts about Durham. I really want to go, but haven't heard back and am feeling less hopeful by the minute! It's physics dept is ranked 4th in the UK soooo......

Will you be on a foundation year?

Cheers
    Hi there, I've been keeping an eye out for your posts too.

Some of these departments have really obscure admissions processes, they may even want to interview you as a mature student. I had to conduct a telephone interview with the Comp Sci admissions tutor.

I was lucky enough to get decent A-levels, I've been working for the last 7 years and I was able to get directly onto the undergraduate course even though I haven't touched education since school. Currently trying to cram maths like its going out of fashion as the admissions tutor was explaining how lots of students have a maths meltdown even if they did well at maths A-level. God help me.

As a mature student, you'll do well at any university as you're probably very motivated. I personally believe that unless you go to Oxbridge/Imperial most other top unis are pretty much the same.

SS

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've been keeping an eye out for your posts too.

Some of these departments have really obscure admissions processes, they may even want to interview you as a mature student. I had to conduct a telephone interview with the Comp Sci admissions tutor.

I was lucky enough to get decent A-levels, I've been working for the last 7 years and I was able to get directly onto the undergraduate course even though I haven't touched education since school. Currently trying to cram maths like its going out of fashion as the admissions tutor was explaining how lots of students have a maths meltdown even if they did well at maths A-level. God help me.

As a mature student, you'll do well at any university as you're probably very motivated. I personally believe that unless you go to Oxbridge/Imperial most other top unis are pretty much the same.

SS
    Did you do maths and or physics at a level? I have all As at a level but they're in arts subjects and I literally did no work apart from 5 days at the end of the year making notes from the texts books they're so easy. So I'm a bit intimidated at the thought of all the maths, but like you am doing a load of studying in the run up to starting uni. Plus I've been around numbers working in finance and was good at it when I was at school. Still, I'm terrified of having a maths meltdown!

ReputationRep:
    Did you do maths and or physics at a level? I have all As at a level but they're in arts subjects and I literally did no work apart from 5 days at the end of the year making notes from the texts books they're so easy. So I'm a bit intimidated at the thought of all the maths, but like you am doing a load of studying in the run up to starting uni. Plus I've been around numbers working in finance and was good at it when I was at school. Still, I'm terrified of having a maths meltdown!
    I've already embraced that fact that the maths meltdown is going to happen. The only question is how best to scrape the remnant of my brain off the floor afterwards.

I did both maths & physics at A-level. But like you, I didn't work too hard and haven't touched either for 7 years. I've been running around in the mud for most of that time so I don't even have the advantage of a finance job!

What made you want to go back into education?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me more...
    The Durham course is much faster paced in covering content, which basically just means you learn more. For instance the modules 'The Quantum World' and 'Classical Fields' at Nottingham are covered in a single module 'Foundations of Physics 2A' at Durham. Because so much content is covered in the core modules, you in effect have more interesting choices for options and even if for instance you take the 'Theoretical Physics' route you can still do a lot of Astrophysics and Atomic physics on the side. Aside from this, Durham students enter with better A-levels, and according to Unistats, leave with better employment prospects although some caution is wise there since the sample sizes are small.

Research matters less for undergraduate level and is more difficult to measure. By one metric, citations, Durham tops Nottingham. Durham is also particularly good for Astrophysics (and even more particularly good in Cosmology) and Particle Physics. I'm not sure what Nottingham's specialities are, but I think it is still one of the good research universities for Physics. According to the REF 2014, Durham and Nottingham have similar profiles for research impact, but Durham has more research staff.

ReputationRep:
    I've already embraced that fact that the maths meltdown is going to happen. The only question is how best to scrape the remnant of my brain off the floor afterwards.

I did both maths & physics at A-level. But like you, I didn't work too hard and haven't touched either for 7 years. I've been running around in the mud for most of that time so I don't even have the advantage of a finance job!

What made you want to go back into education?
    Can I ask what you're doing to prepare yourself for Mathspocalypse?

I have been using physics a level texts books and YouTube mostly. I'm not finding it too difficult, but at the end of the day the only proof of my capabilities I have is GCSEs from yonks ago!

I need to get a degree because I can't progress in the way that I want to, even the jobs that I did when I started out now require degrees. It's rather depressing.

Will you stay in the forces or do something else?

ReputationRep:
    The Durham course is much faster paced in covering content, which basically just means you learn more. For instance the modules 'The Quantum World' and 'Classical Fields' at Nottingham are covered in a single module 'Foundations of Physics 2A' at Durham. Because so much content is covered in the core modules, you in effect have more interesting choices for options and even if for instance you take the 'Theoretical Physics' route you can still do a lot of Astrophysics and Atomic physics on the side. Aside from this, Durham students enter with better A-levels, and according to Unistats, leave with better employment prospects although some caution is wise there since the sample sizes are small.

Research matters less for undergraduate level and is more difficult to measure. By one metric, citations, Durham tops Nottingham. Durham is also particularly good for Astrophysics (and even more particularly good in Cosmology) and Particle Physics. I'm not sure what Nottingham's specialities are, but I think it is still one of the good research universities for Physics. According to the REF 2014, Durham and Nottingham have similar profiles for research impact, but Durham has more research staff.
    Thank you. I have a feeling I'll hear from Durham next week. The wait has been excruciating...

What are your thoughts on York?

You again.

You were at Nottingham?
    No, I studied in Germany.

This is flat out wrong for undergraduate level and even for research in a lot of areas.
    I know the OP is interested in careers in finance, so my advice is correct in this context.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    False. Nottingham has better connections and sends more people into IB.
    Oh really?

Not sure I want to be in IB, but I'm sure they would also have similar relationships with other financial services firms
    Princepieman is correct.

And yes to your query.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fickschlitten)
    Princepieman is correct.

And yes to your query.
    And durham has good relationships with the sector no?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what you're doing to prepare yourself for Mathspocalypse?

I have been using physics a level texts books and YouTube mostly. I'm not finding it too difficult, but at the end of the day the only proof of my capabilities I have is GCSEs from yonks ago!

I need to get a degree because I can't progress in the way that I want to, even the jobs that I did when I started out now require degrees. It's rather depressing.

Will you stay in the forces or do something else?
    Mathspocalypse!

In terms of preparation, it's mostly sobbing quietly to myself in a corner and looking wistfully at a pile of textbooks on the other side of my bedroom. Most of my time at the moment is going into learning how to program in Java/Python which ends up largely the same results, except with more whimpering.

For me, the military is something I've wanted to do but I think I've got most of my adventuring out of my system now. I'm ready to settle down and get a proper job, combined with the fact the military offered to pay for my degree. I'll also be staying in the army throughout my time at uni working in Military Intelligence as a reservist. Uni terms are only 27 weeks out of the year so I should get plenty of time to keep working.

Most of all a degree is a gateway to the type of jobs I want to be getting into, plus it's strange but I want the justification of a piece of paper telling the world I can be clever too.

Are you going to be working throughout uni?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Indeed it does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Mathspocalypse!

In terms of preparation, it's mostly sobbing quietly to myself in a corner and looking wistfully at a pile of textbooks on the other side of my bedroom. Most of my time at the moment is going into learning how to program in Java/Python which ends up largely the same results, except with more whimpering.

For me, the military is something I've wanted to do but I think I've got most of my adventuring out of my system now. I'm ready to settle down and get a proper job, combined with the fact the military offered to pay for my degree. I'll also be staying in the army throughout my time at uni working in Military Intelligence as a reservist. Uni terms are only 27 weeks out of the year so I should get plenty of time to keep working.

Most of all a degree is a gateway to the type of jobs I want to be getting into, plus it's strange but I want the justification of a piece of paper telling the world I can be clever too.

Are you going to be working throughout uni?
    Hehe

I'm finding that I get sooooo distracted whilst trying to study (all of you TSR people are implicated). And I'll learn something and then it'll drop out of my head a week later because I'm trying to balance this with real life n stuff.

I need to learn how to program. I'll probably start learning once I start at uni though. I know 0 of programming languages, but I've decided that I would do well to learn at least the basics of one!

That's good that they're paying for your degree, I was going to ask whether they still do that.

I am apparently in great need of that piece of paper... people tend to assume that I'm a bimbo and it's held me back to be honest.

Yes, I'll do some kind of work as the thought of not earning terrifies me. I also have a flat I can let out. I'll ideally get some office stints in equity research through connections. And pull pints/stripping around that. Joking.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I really need to switch to London though, I don't want to be 4 years out of the market if I can help it

I really need to switch to London though, I don't want to be 4 years out of the market if I can help it
    It really doesn't matter.

Only advantage being in a london uni gives you is close proximity to banks.

It is great when you go to a uni outside London, they pay for your accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter.

Only advantage being in a london uni gives you is close proximity to banks.

It is great when you go to a uni outside London, they pay for your accomodation.
    I wouldn't look to work at a bank though, I'd want time at small funds and research firms and brokerages; my natural scabitats as I call them. And of course I want to network at every opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    No, I studied in Germany.

I know the OP is interested in careers in finance, so my advice is correct in this context.
    Oh, interesting. According to unistats Durham's physics courses send a higher proportion of students into business and technology.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.