Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into this program, and just wanted to know whether the fact that it is distance learning will affect getting into foreign language teaching in the future. I am planning on studying abroad for a year in the future as well, possibly au pair or work placement but as of getting accepted into either a teacher training program or the official masters program, will an Open University degree in Languages be accepted? Thank you. I greatly appreciate any responses.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Alexa.Pereira)
    I'm looking into this program, and just wanted to know whether the fact that it is distance learning will affect getting into foreign language teaching in the future. I am planning on studying abroad for a year in the future as well, possibly au pair or work placement but as of getting accepted into either a teacher training program or the official masters program, will an Open University degree in Languages be accepted? Thank you. I greatly appreciate any responses.
    Yes, you can become a teacher with an Open University degree. I know a number of trainee teachers who did an OU degree, one of whom is doing French PGCE. However, I have heard through the grapevine that schools are not so keen on MFL teachers who studied with the OU, simply because their spoken and listening skills are not as good as a conventional language graduate who didn't study via distance learning. I'm not sure how much truth there is that, but languages are a shortage subject so you might be alright. Maybe Carnationlilyrose could offer some insight?

Studying or working abroad would be a very good idea, especially as OU language degrees do not include a year abroad. Have you considered doing a British Council Language Assistantship? https://www.britishcouncil.org/langu...istants/become

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Yes, you can become a teacher with an Open University degree. I know a number of trainee teachers who did an OU degree, one of whom is doing French PGCE. However, I have heard through the grapevine that schools are not so keen on MFL teachers who studied with the OU, simply because their spoken and listening skills are not as good as a conventional language graduate who didn't study via distance learning. I'm not sure how much truth there is that, but languages are a shortage subject so you might be alright. Maybe Carnationlilyrose could offer some insight?

Studying or working abroad would be a very good idea, especially as OU language degrees do not include a year abroad. Have you considered doing a British Council Language Assistantship? https://www.britishcouncil.org/langu...istants/become
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am going to defiantly spend time abroad atleast a year because quite honestly, I agree with that theory, and even students in physical unis who don't study abroad in my opinion aren't as respected. So a work placement or something of that nature, would be of great ad to my qualifications. I heard that as well, that it is a shortage subject, here in the US it is too. If I do intend on remaining in the UK knowing that I will be able to move onto a PGCE is all I needed to hear. And I haven't heard of such a program, what is all about? I am interested in any information! Thank you again. I really do appreciate it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am going to defiantly spend time abroad atleast a year because quite honestly, I agree with that theory, and even students in physical unis who don't study abroad in my opinion aren't as respected. So a work placement or something of that nature, would be of great ad to my qualifications. I heard that as well, that it is a shortage subject, here in the US it is too. If I do intend on remaining in the UK knowing that I will be able to move onto a PGCE is all I needed to hear. And I haven't heard of such a program, what is all about? I am interested in any information! Thank you again. I really do appreciate it.
    I don't really know any more about the programme other than what I've read on the website. But in the UK all language students at physical universities have to do a year abroad, some study abroad but quite a lot opt for teaching assistantships with the British Council, so it isn't that unusual. Seems like a good way to get teaching experience and improve your language skills at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know any more about the programme other than what I've read on the website. But in the UK all language students at physical universities have to do a year abroad, some study abroad but quite a lot opt for teaching assistantships with the British Council, so it isn't that unusual. Seems like a good way to get teaching experience and improve your language skills at the same time.
    Yeah a double whammy! I would most defiantly do that. I was also considering being an au pair for a year or two, but if that program pays you than either one would be good, I just don't find studying abroad as good of an idea, because you have to pay instead of them paying YOU. In the US we basically only have the option to study abroad and it costs anywhere from $30,000 and upwards for a semester/ year, so yeah not interested. haha. Tank you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah a double whammy! I would most defiantly do that. I was also considering being an au pair for a year or two, but if that program pays you than either one would be good, I just don't find studying abroad as good of an idea, because you have to pay instead of them paying YOU. In the US we basically only have the option to study abroad and it costs anywhere from $30,000 and upwards for a semester/ year, so yeah not interested. haha. Tank you.
    Ah, well in the UK it's a bit different. You can study abroad in Europe as part of the Erasmus+ scheme, you're given a monthly stipend to pay for living costs and you don't pay tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also I just wanted some insight on this other thing if you had any information. Let's say for example someone goes on to study Maths in uni, and after they graduate they change their mind and want to become an MFL teacher and do a SKE course, wouldn't they be qualified then to teach MFL? That's where I feel as if studying via OU wouldn't matter so much, because there are SKE courses in MFL. I am probably wrong but that's the idea I got.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well in the UK it's a bit different. You can study abroad in Europe as part of the Erasmus+ scheme, you're given a monthly stipend to pay for living costs and you don't pay tuition fees.
    Wow that is so great! Wish it functioned the same way around here. It's too expensive to study abroad here.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh and also I just wanted some insight on this other thing if you had any information. Let's say for example someone goes on to study Maths in uni, and after they graduate they change their mind and want to become an MFL teacher and do a SKE course, wouldn't they be qualified then to teach MFL? That's where I feel as if studying via OU wouldn't matter so much, because there are SKE courses in MFL. I am probably wrong but that's the idea I got.
    Hmm, no that's not possible. To teach in the UK, at least 50% of your degree needs to be in a curriculum subject. If you did a French degree but took Spanish in high school, you could take a SKE to bring your Spanish up to scratch, but it can't be used for completely different subjects like maths. Have a read of this: http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/_dat...-a-teacher.pdf

You could study maths and one other language with the OU as part of the Open degree, that would in theory allow you to teach both.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.