Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I come from Italy, I'm 29 and considering to go back to the university to change my life and my future.

What I would like to know is what chances could I have to get an offer from one of this universities; King's College London; LsE; Cambridge University. Cambridge is probably just a dream considering the prestige and the fact that I'm 29 and a foreigner.
    Concerning my application I can tell you that :
    - my grade score score is at top level 100/100;
    - soon I'm going to take a English test (IELTS) and I will probably get the highest score.
    - I have a good referee with international recognition.
    - the course I'm interested in is International Relations.

My choice is very difficult because this will influence my future and my life and really don't know if for the best or the worst, especially in this time of uncertainty and financial ups and downs so all opinions are welcome!

I would like to ask a lot more but this is a good start
    Thank you all for your time and courtesy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macchiavelli)
    Hi everyone

I come from Italy, I'm 29 and considering to go back to the university to change my life and my future.

What I would like to know is what chances could I have to get an offer from one of this universities; King's College London; LsE; Cambridge University. Cambridge is probably just a dream considering the prestige and the fact that I'm 29 and a foreigner.
    Concerning my application I can tell you that :
    - my grade score score is at top level 100/100;
    - soon I'm going to take a English test (IELTS) and I will probably get the highest score.
    - I have a good referee with international recognition.
    - the course I'm interested in is International Relations.

My choice is very difficult because this will influence my future and my life and really don't know if for the best or the worst, especially in this time of uncertainty and financial ups and downs so all opinions are welcome!

I would like to ask a lot more but this is a good start
    Thank you all for your time and courtesy.
    1. If your 100/100 is equivalent to four A*s at A level, I see no reason why you shouldn't apply for Cambridge. Your age is not relevant/a problem and you have nothing to lose, especially if your referee is internationally recognised. I note Cambridge are doing a new course in History and International Relations in 2017, this may attract fewer applicants but you should only chose it if you think you would like it and you can make a good case as to why it is the right course for you.

Yes, your age shows you have taken time to make up your mind; but if you can convince them that you are now directed on this path, they should treat you just like any other student. And it's only an application...

2. The same point goes for both King's and LSE. These are prestigious courses at prestigious universities. But if your academic results are indeed perfect, then you should have confidence in applying to these places.

3. Pay attention to timetables! Make sure that you meet all the relevant deadlines!!! Don't forget Cambridge has additional deadlines for individual College applications.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and being Italian is not a disadvantage. Indeed, if you show excellent English results that can only be a good sign of your language skills; which would be relevant for a career in International Relations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stychomythia)
    Oh, and being Italian is not a disadvantage. Indeed, if you show excellent English results that can only be a good sign of your language skills; which would be relevant for a career in International Relations.

Thank you very much for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.