The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol uni job prospects

Have confirmed an offer from Bristol uni for law and am hoping to go in september if i get the grades, but have read a lot of things saying that even with a law degree from a good uni it is still very hard to get a job... So what are my prospects if I do well in my degree from Bristol???? Plz help. Also, what are the chances of me being able to do a year abroad on the law scheme? Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by nh98
Have confirmed an offer from Bristol uni for law and am hoping to go in september if i get the grades, but have read a lot of things saying that even with a law degree from a good uni it is still very hard to get a job... So what are my prospects if I do well in my degree from Bristol???? Plz help. Also, what are the chances of me being able to do a year abroad on the law scheme? Any help would be appreciated :smile:

No-one can answer this for certain. It depends on an enormous multitude of factors.
Bristol, and Law is a very good combination though, so don't be concerned.
Just do as well as possible in first year if you want a year abroad, don't attempt to coast by doing nothing.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by nh98

Yep, it is still very hard to get a job; especially in law. But, by going to a solidly reputed university like Bristol, you'll have exposure to firms constantly via their law society. Through them, you could be able to get bespoke CV tips from prior sucessful applicants (i.e. for vac schemes/training contracts), the chance to network with current lawyers, exposure to law as a career via firm presentations etc. And that's all for just law, there are quite a few other career oriented socieities to join - none of which would be as available if you went to a (much, much) lower reputed university as they just wouldn't have the employer links.

Safe to say, if you make the most of your time at Bristol (get stuck in with societies, volunteer, find opportunities to lead things, do well academically etc), you should be in a very good position to land any internships/vac schemes available and then subsequently, grad jobs/training contracts.

Basically, a good degree from a good uni is NOT enough by itself. You need to complement that achievement with various CV boosting activities that show that you have the initiative and ability to gain skills that employers value.

You can see now that 'grad prospects' is to nebuluous a term that can't really be measured on an individualised basis.
Reply 3
Thank you both! I think it'd be impossible not to take part in extra-curricular activities in bristol as they have so much offer, you've both definitely quelled my concerns:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending