Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    when doing the classic 'particle on a slope', and solving perpendicular/parallel to the slope, struggle see whether the force associated with the mass is MgSin(x) or MgCos(x). Should i draw a right angled question to help me visualise this. Im not sure where the angle-x (angle slop is inclined at) would go in this triangle???

thanks for any help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You should always draw a diagram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starwarsjedi123)
    Hi
    when doing the classic 'particle on a slope', and solving perpendicular/parallel to the slope, struggle see whether the force associated with the mass is MgSin(x) or MgCos(x). Should i draw a right angled question to help me visualise this. Im not sure where the angle-x (angle slop is inclined at) would go in this triangle???

thanks for any help
    You should always draw diagrams for this sort of question. You'll find that in the classical scenario, the force parallel is given by mg sin theta - draw it out and see for yourself.

The angle inclined would be the angle between the line of slope and the horizontal.

ReputationRep:
    No not the diagram.
    I mean i try to draw a right-angle triangle to figure out whether the force with Mg is MgSin(x) or MgCos(x). i cant figure out where the right angle and angle (x) goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

thanks for any help
    draw a diagram and start labelling angles until you find the relevant ones

ReputationRep:
    No not the diagram.
    I mean i try to draw a right-angle triangle to figure out whether the force with Mg is MgSin(x) or MgCos(x). i cant figure out where the right angle and angle (x) goes.

This is a slope inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal, clear enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

This is a slope inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal, clear enough?
    I believe so. Just to check, if the slope was incline the opposite way, i.e., from the right hand side, and i drew the same right-angled triangle, would the 30 degrees(or the angle of inclination) always be at the 'top'?

thanks for your help!!! Been looking for a picture like this for ages

ReputationRep:
    I believe so. Just to check, if the slope was incline the opposite way, i.e., from the right hand side, and i drew the same right-angled triangle, would the 30 degrees(or the angle of inclination) always be at the 'top'?

It would look like this:

This is a plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal.

ReputationRep:
    yes but if i drew a line, W, down from the box,and tried to Split the force into its perpendicular/parallel component, would W still be the hypotenuse of the triangle, with WCos20 the perpendicular component of the force??

ReputationRep:
    yes but if i drew a line, W, down from the box,and tried to Split the force into its perpendicular/parallel component, would W still be the hypotenuse of the triangle, with WCos20 the perpendicular component of the force??
    Yes and yes.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

If you get a slope question that is opposite to the direction you are used to, there's no harm in redrawing the diagram the other way around. The answers you get will be the same.

Some students find this makes them more comfortable with the question

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.