Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I wanted to buy a new laptop for university and any suggestions would be great. I've applied for Mathematics and most of the laptops I've looked at have about 4 hours battery life and I was wondering if that would be enough if you want to take your laptop to lectures and just in general. Any recommendations of good laptops would be great.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GouriG)
    Hi, I wanted to buy a new laptop for university and any suggestions would be great. I've applied for Mathematics and most of the laptops I've looked at have about 4 hours battery life and I was wondering if that would be enough if you want to take your laptop to lectures and just in general. Any recommendations of good laptops would be great.

Thank you
    For something like maths surely you would be taking notes by hand (unless somehow you are the best in the world at using latex) so do you really need to be able to take it into lectures etc
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Id probably say get a 2 in 1 tablet (e.g. surface pro or a tablet like the ipad pro). surface pro is ideal as it can be used to write notes (ie equations and annotate equations) and it uses intel i3, i5 and i7 laptop processors (in the case of surface book, the keyboard houses an nvidia gpu). price is a bit pricey but u get 10-12 hours battery life and is a lot easier to carry around than a laptop. if u do go for traditional laptop, macbook pros are good if u can get an i5 or i7 processored one cheaply (be expected to pay £600 minimum for second hand). surfaces are advantageous though as they have office 2016 pre-installed with onedrive storage. and you can install any computer programmes (including steam if you use it) and it has micro sd card slot, USB slot and some other features).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Id probably say get a 2 in 1 tablet (e.g. surface pro or a tablet like the ipad pro). surface pro is ideal as it can be used to write notes (ie equations and annotate equations) and it uses intel i3, i5 and i7 laptop processors (in the case of surface book, the keyboard houses an nvidia gpu). price is a bit pricey but u get 10-12 hours battery life and is a lot easier to carry around than a laptop. if u do go for traditional laptop, macbook pros are good if u can get an i5 or i7 processored one cheaply (be expected to pay £600 minimum for second hand). surfaces are advantageous though as they have office 2016 pre-installed with onedrive storage. and you can install any computer programmes (including steam if you use it) and it has micro sd card slot, USB slot and some other features).
    That's great! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    For something like maths surely you would be taking notes by hand (unless somehow you are the best in the world at using latex) so do you really need to be able to take it into lectures etc
    That's true (especially since I can't work latex) I just figured it might get annoying having to constantly charge the laptop in general

ReputationRep:
    For Mathematics, you may want to get a tablet, since you can write down all the formulas very easily with a stylus.
    Unless you want to get into using LaTeX if you absolutely must have a laptop
    Either way, an iPad or Macbook would be your standard issue (coming from a CompSci fresher)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by GouriG)
    That's great! Thank you!!
    no prob. I should mention if you go for the surface pro however, it only comes with tablet and stylus pen as standard. the keyboard is extra. surface book has all of them but is like £1200 minimum.

but that being said, you do get 10% discount for students via microsoft site

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.