which tier should I do? MATHS GCSE Watch

_aishahxo_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

All throughout high school, I have always learnt the Higher content. In year 11, I did the Higher Edexcel exam and I got a D. I don't know the many marks I had. Maths is my weakest subject, but I need to pass it.
I am at college now and I am retaking Maths. However,my previous teacher put me down for the foundation paper.I have asked her a few times to do higher, but she has refused. She said that foundation is better for me. My parents paid for me to do the higher paper in November, but there were no refunds. My mum encouraged me to do the foundation paper in November. I didn't want to do the Maths Foundation GCSE.I ended up getting a F. I was upset with the result, but I realized that I didn't learn the content with a CD. I practiced papers though.Throughout these months, I am constantly getting F grades. I have a Maths GCSE foundation cd, revision book and revision guide, but I haven't done all my revision yet. I have watched most of the clips on the Maths CD. I got a F because I got 49 marks. My mum said that I should try and convince the teachers again to do higher. However, I am not so sure. I have a lot of revision to do for Maths. I am not sure which tier is more suitable for me. The thing about the foundation paper is that you need a lot more marks. The last paper I did I got 49 marks which is a F. On my mocks, I got 56 on one paper and 41 on the other paper. I ended up getting a F again.

Update:
Recently, I got 63 marks on my latest paper and I was 7 marks of a C.I got a D. I did the foundation paper, but my teacher has agreed to test me on the Higher paper.

I got to take two papers home for homework that were higher. I competed them and I didn't cheat at all. I got two c's and 47 marks on both.
Last edited by _aishahxo_; 2 years ago
Chronoscope
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _aishahxo_)
Hi,

All throughout high school, I have always learnt the Higher content. In year 11, I did the Higher Edexcel exam and I got a D. I don't know the many marks I had. Maths is my weakest subject, but I need to pass it.
I am at college now and I am retaking Maths. However,my previous paper put me down for the foundation paper.I have asked her a few times to do higher, but she has refused. She said that foundation is better for me. My parents paid for me to do the higher paper in November, but there were no refunds. My mum encouraged me to do the foundation paper in November. I didn't want to do the Maths Foundation GCSE.I ended up getting a F. I was upset with the result, but I realized that I didn't learn the content with a CD. I practiced papers though.Throughout these months, I am constantly getting F grades. I have a Maths GCSE foundation cd, revision book and revision guide, but I haven't done all my revision yet. I have watched most of the clips on the Maths CD. I got a F because I got 49 marks. My mum said that I should try and convince the teachers again to do higher. However, I am not so sure. I have a lot of revision to do for Maths. I am not sure which tier is more suitable for me. The thing about the foundation paper is that you need a lot more marks. The last paper I did I got 47 marks which is a F. On my mocks, I got 56 on one paper and 41 on the other paper. I ended up getting a F again.
Hi. I read your post and it sounds like it could be worth getting a maths tutor to help you outside of college. I'm guessing, but can I ask if it was the June 2015 Edexcel Maths that you did? that's the one I did as well, and due to the badly worded questions, an example being Hannah's Sweets, ended up me failing the paper, and getting D despite doing every past paper that must have existed for Edexcel maths meaning I had to resit in November.

You mentioned, that you're teacher put you back down for Foundation tier, as they thought it would be best - considering you've been learning the higher content throughout year 11 there doesn't seem to be any reasons why you seem to be getting low grades - unless there was a lack of poor teaching or lack of listening or understanding the topics during class?, or that there was something happening outside school that was affecting your grades... anyway- I'd definitely suggest if YOU (not your teacher) think you are capable and work extremely hard, get your Mum to argue your case, which is excellent she is supporting you - btw are you doing any STEM subjects that may require you to have maths for college/uni courses? if you don't plan on doing anything requiring maths at higher education than taking Foundation Tier may be better (I have noticed since looking at Rusell Group entry requirements some academic courses require a B in gcse maths) - but you may already know:

- for Higher Tier maths gcse you don't need as many marks to get a C, but the questions are harder, at least towards the middle and the end anyway
- for Foundation Tier you need to get nearly full marks to get C but questions are easier

It seems a little strange that you had to pay for your Maths resit GCSE though, we didn't need to pay for ours...

Now regarding maths revision... ask the teacher to help you with topics you don't know - if you don't know which ones, do a past paper under timed conditions, and after mark it or go through with that teacher. then practice those topics,.
I mentioned getting a maths tutor - I'm sure if your mum would be willing to hire a maths tutor - they can go over a topic with you at your level. From a personal experience I personally found my maths tutor very helpful after failing maths gcse as they helped me to go through topics I felt confusing, which was easier for me to understand, compared to the tutor my college hired for all the people resitting maths for our college who was okay, but not great, as they criticized the methods we had been taught during our gcse maths years.

Try revision methods such as:
- past papers - extremely useful. a blessing.
- perhaps once you are sure you have learnt a topic you could explain a concept to you mum / or teacher to ensure you have learn it
- watching youtube videos
- Mathswatch
- MyMaths
- using a whiteboard to practice some questions
- if a maths tutor isn't an option I'm sure you could ask someone in your college year group - someone must be doing a level maths, that would be willing to help to listen to you or help you.

I have a good feeling that you are very capable of doing the higher tier - perhaps you need to do more practice which really is the key to it really
_aishahxo_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by bizzy_penguin)
Hi. I read your post and it sounds like it could be worth getting a maths tutor to help you outside of college. I'm guessing, but can I ask if it was the June 2015 Edexcel Maths that you did? that's the one I did as well, and due to the badly worded questions, an example being Hannah's Sweets, ended up me failing the paper, and getting D despite doing every past paper that must have existed for Edexcel maths meaning I had to resit in November.

You mentioned, that you're teacher put you back down for Foundation tier, as they thought it would be best - considering you've been learning the higher content throughout year 11 there doesn't seem to be any reasons why you seem to be getting low grades - unless there was a lack of poor teaching or lack of listening or understanding the topics during class?, or that there was something happening outside school that was affecting your grades... anyway- I'd definitely suggest if YOU (not your teacher) think you are capable and work extremely hard, get your Mum to argue your case, which is excellent she is supporting you - btw are you doing any STEM subjects that may require you to have maths for college/uni courses? if you don't plan on doing anything requiring maths at higher education than taking Foundation Tier may be better (I have noticed since looking at Rusell Group entry requirements some academic courses require a B in gcse maths) - but you may already know:

- for Higher Tier maths gcse you don't need as many marks to get a C, but the questions are harder, at least towards the middle and the end anyway
- for Foundation Tier you need to get nearly full marks to get C but questions are easier

It seems a little strange that you had to pay for your Maths resit GCSE though, we didn't need to pay for ours...

Now regarding maths revision... ask the teacher to help you with topics you don't know - if you don't know which ones, do a past paper under timed conditions, and after mark it or go through with that teacher. then practice those topics,.
I mentioned getting a maths tutor - I'm sure if your mum would be willing to hire a maths tutor - they can go over a topic with you at your level. From a personal experience I personally found my maths tutor very helpful after failing maths gcse as they helped me to go through topics I felt confusing, which was easier for me to understand, compared to the tutor my college hired for all the people resitting maths for our college who was okay, but not great, as they criticized the methods we had been taught during our gcse maths years.

Try revision methods such as:
- past papers - extremely useful. a blessing.
- perhaps once you are sure you have learnt a topic you could explain a concept to you mum / or teacher to ensure you have learn it
- watching youtube videos
- Mathswatch
- MyMaths
- using a whiteboard to practice some questions
- if a maths tutor isn't an option I'm sure you could ask someone in your college year group - someone must be doing a level maths, that would be willing to help to listen to you or help you.

I have a good feeling that you are very capable of doing the higher tier - perhaps you need to do more practice which really is the key to it really

Hi,

Thanks for your advice! Yes I did the June 2015 Edexcel Higher paper which was hard. I revised for it too and I didn't do well. I am considering getting a tutor. I might just stick with foundation because I have been doing it for the past few months. I will work on the things that I am stuck on.I don't do well on the wordy questions too.I am not doing any STEM subjects. I only need a C for Psychology A level. So I might aswell stick to foundation.
shohaib712
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
use mathswatch and make notes while watching.
After you completed a full topic do exam qu's from past papers.
watch yt vids e.g. achieve maths and make sure you are writing notes down cuz you will likely forget if you just watch videos without doing anything.

also highlight your notes afterwards (use 1 or 2 colors only cuz it will get hard to remember information in lots of colors)
I did this method with a few maths topics (not all) andi managed to get an A easily from a c- (in october)
Hambi123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should do higher tier. It's much easier because for foundation you'll need more then 60 marks to get a grade C whereas in higher tier 60 marks on one paper will be a grade A*-B

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

think I'm a brilliant applicant (524)
36.8%
are desperate for students (900)
63.2%

Watched Threads