Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I keep trying to get my friend on birth control? Watch

Hi everyone,
    So about 6 months ago one of my best friends started seeing a guy, she's 17 and he's 22 but he's a lovely guy, in fact he's best friends with my own boyfriend, so I know he's well suited for her. However, I know they have a very active sex life, and I'm a little worried for her as she's not on any form of birth control, they only rely on condoms. I've been on the pill for a few years and only recently switched to the implant so I have guaranteed protection, and I mentioned to her going on some sort of bc, but she just doesn't seem bothered. Last month she had a pregnancy scare, so I really believe she should look into something, even something more short term such as the pill, but I don't know how to keep mentioning this to her, as I don't want to seem like I'm sticking my nose in where it isn't wanted, I'm just concerned.
    I'm just looking for an outside view on the situation, what would you do if you were her or me?
    Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone,
    So about 6 months ago one of my best friends started seeing a guy, she's 17 and he's 22 but he's a lovely guy, in fact he's best friends with my own boyfriend, so I know he's well suited for her. However, I know they have a very active sex life, and I'm a little worried for her as she's not on any form of birth control, they only rely on condoms. I've been on the pill for a few years and only recently switched to the implant so I have guaranteed protection, and I mentioned to her going on some sort of bc, but she just doesn't seem bothered. Last month she had a pregnancy scare, so I really believe she should look into something, even something more short term such as the pill, but I don't know how to keep mentioning this to her, as I don't want to seem like I'm sticking my nose in where it isn't wanted, I'm just concerned.
    I'm just looking for an outside view on the situation, what would you do if you were her or me?
    Thanks!
    I would leave her to it, if she's using condoms that does have a reasonable reliability if they are used properly. It could be that she is unhappy with using hormonal birth control due to the potential side effects, its nothing something that suits everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks!
    I think you should maybe take her to a sexual health clinic and get a nurse to have a chat with her. It's great she's using condoms but in my opinion anyone who doesn't want children, is sexually active, and is perfectly healthy, should be on hormonal birth control. I wouldn't suggest her to go on the implant because a lot of people can have adverse reactions to it and the mood swings and such can be hard to manage. Suggest the patch as its quite manageable and she only has to change it once a week.

But still, take her to go to a sexual health clinic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The implant doesn't give you "guaranteed protection" (as you put it), it can fail just like any other form of birth control.

It's great that she's using condoms but you can't force her to go on birth control. You can recommend a sexual health clinic to her and give her some leaflets about the different types of birth control, but it seems that you're repeatedly pushing it on her when she's said for you to stop. So leave it, it's her choice at the end of the day and there's only so many times you can mention it before you piss her off.

ReputationRep:
    Condoms are a perfectly acceptable form of contraception you shouldn't worry. They're just as safe as everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There is no 'best for everyone' form of contraception. If a scare doesn't get her looking at alternative / additional methods, then you nagging - as it may be seen to be - isn't going to do it.

@georgiaswift

The implant is staggeringly reliable, more so than a sterilization op. It's as near guaranteed as any method that allows you to be sexual with men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    There is no 'best for everyone' form of contraception. If a scare doesn't get her looking at alternative / additional methods, then you nagging - as it may be seen to be - isn't going to do it.

@georgiaswift

The implant is staggeringly reliable, more so than a sterilization op. It's as near guaranteed as any method that allows you to be sexual with men.
    Yes I know that, I have the implant. But no method is 100% reliable - I have a friend who got pregnant on the implant - so it's naive to say you have guaranteed protection.

ReputationRep:
    You're getting involved. She's using protection whether you approve or not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.