Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive just started doing waves in physics I'm stuck on this question from the text book.
    It's a really easy question but I don't understand it.

A point on a taught string performs 56 cycles of oscillation in 35 seconds. Calculate
    The shortest time for it to go from the maximum displacement to zero displacement.

I finding it difficult to link frequency, period and cycles. It might be cause I just started to look at it but is there a way to help me understand this easy?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotic-L)
    Ive just started doing waves in physics I'm stuck on this question from the text book.
    It's a really easy question but I don't understand it.

A point on a taught string performs 56 cycles of oscillation in 35 seconds. Calculate
    The shortest time for it to go from the maximum displacement to zero displacement.

I finding it difficult to link frequency, period and cycles. It might be cause I just started to look at it but is there a way to help me understand this easy?

Thanks
    well a cycle is a complete round trip journey through every point back to your original starting position...

e.g. this shows one cycle with time on the x axis and displacement of the y axis
    Name:  cycle.PNG
Views: 32
Size:  4.4 KB

P is the period - the amount of time it takes to complete one cycle... SI unit is seconds

the frequency (f) is the number of cycles you complete in an amount of time... SI unit is 1/seconds (also known at Hz)

the relationship between f and P is

P=1/f

e.g if the frequency is 50Hz, the period = 0.02 seconds

and of course the inverse f=1/P is true

e.g. if the period is 1/3 second, the frequency is 3Hz

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.