Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date someone who ISN'T a career woman? watch

(Original post by LibertyMan)
    Don't care as long as she values her family more and will give me lots of children.
    This will cause a bit of controversy but from experience I don't think career women even if they do value their children will give the children a good start in life. Ages 0-5 are very important in development and children need their parents more than ever. I don't believe children been left in day care for 40+ hours a week then been shoved in front of the TV with processed food and ready meals when they get home because they are knackered are having their physical or emotional needs met. Of course not all career women do that and nowadays it is becoming more common for men to help out at home...

Perhaps I am biased as my own mother made many sacrifices for me when I was younger and she worked part time to look after me and was able to establish work at home the rest of the time and look after me for which I am very grateful. Now that I am an adult she became an accountant in her 40s but she always put me and my brother first.

hmm idk, it would be two women in the relationship anyway so idk what would give one a reason to stay at home anyway and not the other and there wouldn't be children so...
    no probably not, both of us would work i would hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just curious really. I'm at decent uni (in the top 5) and whilst I want a decent job to pay the bills I don't really aspire to break my neck in the rat race or being a corporate slave. I'm going to graduate with a good degree and I've always worked hard, so it's not to say I have no ambition whatsoever, I just aspire towards balance in life. At uni I'm surrounded by intensely competitive people and chronic perfectionists. I don't think a flashy career will fulfil or complete me at all and I don't think it's worth the stress or sacrifice. And whilst I enjoy a few nice things I'm not really into materialism or having lots of money. I value the relationship I have with others, my family and with myself much more.

So yeah, what do you guys think?
    What degree is that

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Unless you end up with a wealthy guy, you're going to have to work either way if you want financial stability :dontknow:
    I think people are failing to understand my whole point... This post is not about not working altogether. I will be working! There is not only two types of women: career women and unemployed/house keepers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    As long as she does SOMETHING (i.e. running a small business, volunteering, advising boards of trustees, pursuing a time consuming hobby etc), I'd be fine with it. Genuinely don't subscribe to the whole stay at home and do nothing wife model, I want my partner to have goals and aims that are beyond just family life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what if you had 5 kids?

(Original post by AsandaLFC)
    What degree is that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    This will cause a bit of controversy but from experience I don't think career women even if they do value their children will give the children a good start in life. Ages 0-5 are very important in development and children need their parents more than ever. I don't believe children been left in day care for 40+ hours a week then been shoved in front of the TV with processed food and ready meals when they get home because they are knackered are having their physical or emotional needs met. Of course not all career women do that and nowadays it is becoming more common for men to help out at home...

Perhaps I am biased as my own mother made many sacrifices for me when I was younger and she worked part time to look after me and was able to establish work at home the rest of the time and look after me for which I am very grateful. Now that I am an adult she became an accountant in her 40s but she always put me and my brother first.
    My mother had no choice in this respect because daddy didn't pay alimony

So I plan to hopefully earn enough to upkeep my family so they don't have to work.

And I agree. Both the father and the mother need to pay a lot of attention to a child- not necessarily positive or negative, but to just be there with him. That's the level of connection there has always been in the past. So whatever I do I'll take my children with me, and girls who wouldn't want to do the same will be weeded out

I think people are failing to understand my whole point... This post is not about not working altogether. I will be working! There is not only two types of women: career women and unemployed/house keepers.
    Woman with job = woman with career = career woman? :confused:

I know what you mean when you say you don't want to be engrossed with getting further in a career, and that's perfectly fine.

As long as you're not just lying on your back for a dude to pay for your living...

(Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I'd rather it. I hate the corporate world and could not bother dealing with a partner that was tied up in it. I wouldn't be able to support her as the ******** she would go through would just piss me off.

I'm wanting to pursue police work, with little intention to settle at the lower tiers of said work.
    My thoughts exactly!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    what if you had 5 kids?
    Still applies. I'd happily pay for a nanny to ease up the pressure but she still can't just be a 'stay at home mom' - she needs to have her own goals and ambitions in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Still applies. I'd happily pay for a nanny to ease up the pressure but she still can't just be a 'stay at home mom' - she needs to have her own goals and ambitions in life.
    coolio
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I know what you mean when you say you don't want to be engrossed with getting further in a career, and that's perfectly fine.

As long as you're not just lying on your back for a dude to pay for your living...
    This ^

Personally I would not say having a job = career woman. A career woman is someone who puts career first, and above all and it is her main priority and pursuit and sense of fulfilment in life. A career woman never puts her career third, fifth etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    what if you had 5 kids?
    If she can have 5 kids then virtually everythin is achievable

ReputationRep:
    Just curious really. I'm at decent uni (in the top 5) and whilst I want a decent job to pay the bills I don't really aspire to break my neck in the rat race or being a corporate slave. I'm going to graduate with a good degree and I've always worked hard, so it's not to say I have no ambition whatsoever, I just aspire towards balance in life. At uni I'm surrounded by intensely competitive people and chronic perfectionists. I don't think a flashy career will fulfil or complete me at all and I don't think it's worth the stress or sacrifice. And whilst I enjoy a few nice things I'm not really into materialism or having lots of money. I value the relationship I have with others, my family and with myself much more.

So yeah, what do you guys think?
    Please remember that this website is very juvenile so read the majority of answers with that in mind. I don't think you'd get very much reasonable answers here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As long as she's making her own money and doesn't expect me to provide for her and she isn't whinging about her job all the time, and has time for me, that's all I care about.

Personally I would not say having a job = career woman. A career woman is someone who puts career first, and above all and it is her main priority and pursuit and sense of fulfilment in life. A career woman never puts her career third, fifth etc.
    Ah, okay.

Personally I think that being a career-driven is the better thing for my kids - at least they'll have a decent role model!
    But that's just me, based on my own experiences with a mother who had never undertook work after marriage, despite my family being piss poor

Think I let out a bit too much there...

(Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Please remember that this website is very juvenile so read the majority of answers with that in mind. I don't think you'd get very much reasonable answers here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I must say that I've noticed that some posts on this website, not necessarily referring to this thread

Ah, okay.

Personally I think that being a career-driven is the better thing for my kids - at least they'll have a decent role model!
    But that's just me, based on my own experiences with a mother who had never undertook work after marriage, despite my family being piss poor

Think I let out a bit too much there...
    Well I certainly don't aim not to to work altogether. I personally think your experience points out that balance is best as opposed to all or nothing. Providing nothing and letting your family live in poverty is cruel, selfish and irresponsible (the nothing). But then again been so career driven that children become burdens is also cruel, selfish and irresponsible (the all).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm the same, I want a job that I love but I'm not looking to earn big bucks or be the 'best' in my field

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.