Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English language requirements for Columbia? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have applied for the MA in Economics course at Columbia. I am an international student but my first language is English. My application has a giant, red cross besides the "english language requirement" section since I haven't written my TOEFL or IELTS yet. Most colleges that I have applied to seem to only require them afterwards, but I'm worried that Columbia isn't one of those colleges. Columbia also states that if my country's (I'm from India btw) official language is english, then I dont need to submit the test scores, but I'm worried that Columbia doesn't think that India's official language is English.

Anyone have any experiences regarding this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntisocialFatman)
    Hi
    I have applied for the MA in Economics course at Columbia. I am an international student but my first language is English. My application has a giant, red cross besides the "english language requirement" section since I haven't written my TOEFL or IELTS yet. Most colleges that I have applied to seem to only require them afterwards, but I'm worried that Columbia isn't one of those colleges. Columbia also states that if my country's (I'm from India btw) official language is english, then I dont need to submit the test scores, but I'm worried that Columbia doesn't think that India's official language is English.

Usually, they will ignore the requirement, or waive it, for one of two reasons: you come from a country where English is the official language, or one of them; or, your first degree was conducted in English, either at a university in one of the aforementioned countries, or at an English-speaking university in a non-English country, as long as it is documented as such.

So, I never filled anything out in the TOEFL sections of my apps, and it all just went through with no problems. But, I fulfil both of the requirements above. If you are worried, just contact the international office at Columbia and they will be able to tell you very quickly what is required of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntisocialFatman)
    Hi

Well, for your information English is not the first language of India though we do receive all our education in English. So, ideally you need to crack TOEFL. But, don’t worry if you have not taken TOEFL as yet, mail to the admission team and inform them about your background in English; they may be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vininodnat)
    Well, for your information English is not the first language of India though we do receive all our education in English. So, ideally you need to crack TOEFL. But, don’t worry if you have not taken TOEFL as yet, mail to the admission team and inform them about your background in English; they may be able to help you.
    As long as you have your school adminstrator craft a letter or a note saying that your school's language of instruction is English it is fine.

That is why students in international schools dont take TOEFL because the universities know the international schools are all in English.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.