Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have trouble breathing when doing presentations watch

Announcements

Recently in school I have had to do a few presentations and every time I find myself struggling to breathe. It's almost like I forget how to breathe

Then my voice starts to get very crackly, kind of like how it goes before you start to cry and its awful. It gets so bad, sometimes i can only say one sentence before having to stop for a huge gasp of air and its very embarrassing.

How do i stop this happening? Any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently in school I have had to do a few presentations and every time I find myself struggling to breathe. It's almost like I forget how to breathe

Then my voice starts to get very crackly, kind of like how it goes before you start to cry and its awful. It gets so bad, sometimes i can only say one sentence before having to stop for a huge gasp of air and its very embarrassing.

This is completely down to nerves and anxiety and the reassuring (hopefully) news is that pretty much everyone gets these symptoms to some extent when they're doing public speaking. It's also likely to be less noticeable to the people watching you than it is to you - things always feel worse when you're inside them. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it any less terrifying/embarrassing when you get these symptoms. The only real way to lessen the symptoms is to keep practising and take advantage of any opportunity you have to deliver something to an audience (do you have anyone who would be willing to listen to you rehearse your presentations? Either a friend or family member? You could even ask the support staff at your school for help in building your confidence - they'll probably be willing to listen to you and give you tips). The more confidence you have before you step in front of your 'real' audience, the better you're likely to feel.

You could also speak to your GP or school counsellor about the problems you're having. They might be able to advise you on breathing techniques or something like mindfulness which might ease your nerves and physical symptoms when you find yourself in a situation like this.

ReputationRep:
    ok. forst, you need to speak 2 every perosn in ur class. next u need to take several deep breaths before starting.. ur really nervous when u do presentations, so u need to try and be more confodaent
    One way:
    BREATHE IN DEEPLY
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Most likely anxiety related so you need to tackle the anxiety. It really comes down to the individual but usually simple things can be done by you to help it. In some cases you migh also consider therapy or even beta blockers, but that is only if it's not getting better and is really getting to you.

Some things that help me are breathing exercises, listening to music beforehand and knowing where my anxiety comes from (this was through therapy in my case).

You might be able to talk to your teacher (assuming you're in school) about it and see if they can help. They will have dealt with it before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Most likely anxiety related so you need to tackle the anxiety. It really comes down to the individual but usually simple things can be done by you to help it. In some cases you migh also consider therapy or even beta blockers, but that is only if it's not getting better and is really getting to you.

Some things that help me are breathing exercises, listening to music beforehand and knowing where my anxiety comes from (this was through therapy in my case).

You might be able to talk to your teacher (assuming you're in school) about it and see if they can help. They will have dealt with it before.
    This person is worrying you for no reason, it's honestly not that serious you would need medicating . Most people get nervous when public speaking, it's totally normal. Best thing is 1.
    Not putting off presentations etc or you will feel worse and 2. Breath deeply. If you feel yourself panicking just stop. Take a breath. You will probably feel like you've stopped for ages but for the people watching will be a second

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Failingstudent98)
    This person is worrying you for no reason, it's honestly not that serious you would need medicating . Most people get nervous when public speaking, it's totally normal. Best thing is 1.
    Not putting off presentations etc or you will feel worse and 2. Breath deeply. If you feel yourself panicking just stop. Take a breath. You will probably feel like you've stopped for ages but for the people watching will be a second

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to imply that that is thte best or even a necessary option, but it does depend. Trouble breathing can mean anything from butterflies to panic attacs and I needed short term use of medication for simmilar difficulties as nothing else would help me soon enough for me to manage my exams.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.