Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alldayniqqa)
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

Hey man do us a favour and message a mod to delete your account ty
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    And here are people on this thread saying that Manchester accepts people without physics for mechanical once they have m1 and m2 😂
    Lol. I went to their post offer day on feb 24th and they told me there. They said it when i went to the open day last year too.

But once again that was only for the 3 i mentioned. Idk about materials or w.e.

I'm assuming who ever claims that got an offer with no physics and just m1 is lying. Or who ever gave us a talk was confused

ReputationRep:
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

Hey man do us a favour and message a mod to delete your account ty
    Umm I was replying to what the other poster said. I wasn't making any claims. I swear the comprehension skills on this site are poor as hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Well on the THE ranking, I ranked them specifically only by teaching rating and the ranking stayed exactly the same :rofl:
    You know what! I don't give a ****. I don't go to any of them anyway!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: 10/10 reply

ReputationRep:
    I don't care. I'm one of the best engineering students in the UK since I go to durham/warwick/oxbridge/imperial!

ReputationRep:
    I don't care. I'm one of the best engineering students in the UK since I go to durham/warwick/oxbridge/imperial!
    I never claimed to be the best at anything though so once again your comprehension skills are off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    End of the day, unless you're doing a vocational degree like MevMev (i.e. medicine) that leads straight into an occupation, then sitting around and believing your university's name is going to open up all the doors in the world is a very bad idea.

University rank matters but whether you're a graduate from Manchester, Notts, Durham or Warwick you'll need to bring something to the table. More and more people are completing degrees so it has become much less of a priority for employers nowadays. Obviously if you're coming from London Met or Wolverhampton you're gonna be at a disadvantage but for the most part solid universities like the ones mentioned earlier will do you fine.
    This is exactly right U cant rely on a university name alone to get u a good job these days
    obviously if u got a First at Nottingham compared with someone who got 2:2 or less at Durham you're going to look more serious about work aren't you and therefore more attractive to employers

ReputationRep:
    One of many reasons. I didn't want to go to a university where I'd feel out of everyone's league.
    excuse me ??
    is anyone else reading this and getting offended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    And that gives me no knowledge of the content/difficulty of an engineering degree? Because I have read no textbooks/taken no classes?
    ikr, people on this part of the forum thinks that just cos they're are in higher level of education, that all their points are valid more than yours and they know more than you

ReputationRep:
    Too much beef in this thread.

Theoretically, you could do an engineering degree without an alevel in physics, if you were given an offer in the first place. Since I started university, everything has been taught from scratch, like literally. You learn all about the absolute basics of electricity, mechanics, etc. The only problem is the lecturer can cover a topic you spend weeks on in alevel in just 45 mins, so people who already have knowledge of the topic (ie people who took physics, chem, fm,etc ) will understand it quicker and wont have to do as much homework compared to someone who has no idea what the topic is. The amount of work you do in engineering is quite a lot so you get an advantage if you know about the topic already. For example if you have done further maths, thats like 60% of first year maths covered so you will have time doing other modules. But if you haven't done either fm or physics, you will struggle quite a lot. I will suggest doing an engineering degree less physicsy like chemical/civil or do a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregory's Girl)
    I have take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Design&Technology for a-level but have now realised that I want to do engineering, can I still get into an engineering degree?
    What type of engineering are you thinking of doing OP? It depends on greatly on what type of engineering you want to go in on whether you need A level physics or not. Also foundation years are another option, lots of unis do foundation years in engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)

Theoretically, you could do an engineering degree without an alevel in physics, if you were given an offer in the first place. Since I started university, everything has been taught from scratch, like literally. You learn all about the absolute basics of electricity, mechanics, etc. The only problem is the lecturer can cover a topic you spend weeks on in alevel in just 45 mins, so people who already have knowledge of the topic (ie people who took physics, chem, fm,etc ) will understand it quicker and wont have to do as much homework compared to someone who has no idea what the topic is. The amount of work you do in engineering is quite a lot so you get an advantage if you know about the topic already. For example if you have done further maths, thats like 60% of first year maths covered so you will have time doing other modules. But if you haven't done either fm or physics, you will struggle quite a lot. I will suggest doing an engineering degree less physicsy like chemical/civil or do a foundation year.
    True that, there is enough beef to make a beef stew...

What uni and course are you on? I'm curious, I've never heard a course teach everything from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    ikr, people on this part of the forum thinks that just cos they're are in higher level of education, that all their points are valid more than yours and they know more than you
    Umm this is different because he was talking about the work that's done during an engineering degree. I'm doing an engineering degree and he's in high school. I obviously have authority to speak on the subject.

That's like a gcse student telling you that A level maths is easier than additional mathematics when they haven't taken any a levels as yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Depends on the uni. Where I'm at they spend 5 - 10 mins on things we should already know from high school.... This is what I meant about the quality of students/lecturers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You could do a Foundation Year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It may not be wise to get a degree in petroleum engineering now...
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    why?
    I've said 2 times already. Read the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Just asking bro what uni you go? I agree with pet engineering. I am bias cause I'm gonna do foundation year engineering @ notts but I disagree that Nottingham is mediocre. Maybe if you come from a highly educated family, with all stuff provided then it may be, but for most the population it's pretty respectable.

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessarily rude. You are lucky red rep was abolished.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.