Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can someone please help me with Q5 (c) (ii) of the June 2011 G485 paper please. I don't understand how the force downward due to the rod can be cancelled out due to an equal and opposite force by Newtons third law. Also, if this happens then the reading on the balance should remain at 2.500 N as the forces downwards force cancels with the equal and opposite force with no more extra external forces acting.

Thanks for the help.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Glavien)
    Hi,

Can someone please help me with Q5 (c) (ii) of the June 2011 G485 paper please. I don't understand how the force downward due to the rod can be cancelled out due to an equal and opposite force by Newtons third law. Also, if this happens then the reading on the balance should remain at 2.500 N as the forces downwards force cancels with the equal and opposite force with no more extra external forces acting.

Thanks for the help.
    Hello.

It will greatly help a quick positive response if you always also post a scan of the question as nobody will bother looking for it otherwise.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457902847.897122.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  78.1 KBHere a picture of the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.