Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indian Premier League 2016 Thread Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    35 days left till season kicks off.

biggest changes: chennai and rajastan have been kicked out for match fixing and been replaced by Gujrat Lions (looks like gujratis will have a team to support at last) and rising pune supergiants (another marathi team).

the main players from chennai have been split, with dhoni, du plessis and ashwin joining rahane and steve smith at pune; and raina, jadeja, mcculum and bravo joining gujarat.

the biggest surprise omisions from the auction were mike hussey, Usman Khawaja and Martin Guptil.

feel free to comment on matches, build-up and all things IPL / cricket related
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't wait. I'll mainly be watching Buttler, admittedly, because I'm an England fan first and foremost. I love Buttler's style and explosiveness in the limited overs format. Hope he shines and eclipses KP.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Can't wait. I'll mainly be watching Buttler, admittedly, because I'm an England fan first and foremost. I love Buttler's style and explosiveness in the limited overs format. Hope he shines and eclipses KP.
    I know the feeling. also butler can be a good option in case u need a 2nd wicket keeper. personally peeved alex hales didnt get retained by mumbai and surprised root hasnt been selected by anyone (root is def a person U want in anyteam in any format).

terms of team line-ups, Id say pune have got a strong side, as does bangalore and delhi. I said last year mumbai would struggle and they won (my home teams in IPL are technically mumbai and pune as they are both located in the state my grandparents are from, with mumbai being the closest geographically) and personally enjoy mumbai winning but I feel they need to get rid of a lot of players
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    I know the feeling. also butler can be a good option in case u need a 2nd wicket keeper. personally peeved alex hales didnt get retained by mumbai and surprised root hasnt been selected by anyone (root is def a person U want in anyteam in any format).

terms of team line-ups, Id say pune have got a strong side, as does bangalore and delhi. I said last year mumbai would struggle and they won (my home teams in IPL are technically mumbai and pune as they are both located in the state my grandparents are from, with mumbai being the closest geographically) and personally enjoy mumbai winning but I feel they need to get rid of a lot of players
    If Buttler's a success, Root and Stokes will join the IPL next year I expect.

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually see him getting many games?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    In

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    35 days left till season kicks off.

biggest changes: chennai and rajastan have been kicked out for match fixing and been replaced by Gujrat Lions (looks like gujratis will have a team to support at last) and rising pune supergiants (another marathi team).

the main players from chennai have been split, with dhoni, du plessis and ashwin joining rahane and steve smith at pune; and raina, jadeja, mcculum and bravo joining gujarat.

the biggest surprise omisions from the auction were mike hussey, Usman Khawaja and Martin Guptil.

feel free to comment on matches, build-up and all things IPL / cricket related

soo... where is all the Chennai team going coz I love watching them play and now they are not there... it will never be the same again
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    doubt it, then again, mumbai flogged tare as wiki batsman (and theyre mad if they want to make rayudu that role again) , so it is doable. onnly problem is, which other 3 foreign players will mumbai chose (money is malinga, simmons? and pollard / anderson).
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by carolinrev)
    soo... where is all the Chennai team going coz I love watching them play and now they are not there... it will never be the same again
    prettymuch chennai and rajastan players have been sold / joined new teams. like I said, seems like interesting matches (even though I want pune to do better than gujrat, gujrat look like they have better chennai players. then again pune have rahane, dhoni and du plessis
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    btw people, here is a link to all the changes in personnel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sonnel_changes
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    in case anyone would like a take a guess about potential 1st-team line-ups , here are my guesses (sorry for spelling errors):

pune supergiants : rahane, du plessis, pietersen, smith, Irfan pathan, mitchell marsh, rajat bhatia, dhoni, ishant sharma, ravi ashwin, ashok dinda;

Gujrat Lions: suresh raina, jaydev shah, aaron finch, ravi jadeja, dwayne bravo, james faulkner, brendon mccullum, praveen kumar, dhawal kulkarni, pravin tambe, amit mishra;

delhi daredevils: mayank agarwal, JP duminy, Chris Morris, Shreyas Iyer, Pawan Negi, Quinton de Kock, Sanju Samson, Amit mishra, Mohamad Shami, Imran Tahi, Zaheer Khan;

KKR: Gautam Ghambir, Robin Uthappa, Andre Russel, Yusuf Pathan, Shakib al Hassan, Sheldon Jackson, Umesh Yadav, Brad Hogg/ Sunil Narine, Morne Morkel, Jaydev Unadkat, Manish Pandey

KXIP: Murali Vijay, David Miller, Shaun marsh, Rishi Dhawan, Axar Patel, Glen Maxwell, Wriddhiman Saha, Mitchell Johnson, Sandeep Sharma, Mohit Sharma, Gurkeerat Singh;

Mumbai Indians: Rohit Sharma, Lendl Simmons, Ambati Rayudu, Kieron Pollard/Corey Anderson, Parthiv Patel, Jos Buttler, Bhaji, Bumrah, Malinga/Tim Southee, Vinay Kumar, Jagadeesha Suchith;

RCB: Kohli, AB, Sachin Baby (real name :|), Mitchell Star, Varun Aaron, Shane watson, Chris Gayle, Stuart Binny, Sarfaraz Khan, Mandeep singh, Iqbal Abdulla;

Sunrisers Hyderabad: David Warner, Shikar Dhawan, Kane Williamson, Ashish Reddy, Moises Henriques, Naman Ohja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, ashish Nehra, Abhimanyu Mithun, Aditya Tare, Deepak Hooda
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For sure.

I really doubt the ECB - or Buttler - would go over there if he wasn't going to play decent cricket. The establishment in England is very anti-IPL, so this is a big deal.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    For sure.

I really doubt the ECB - or Buttler - would go over there if he wasn't going to play decent cricket. The establishment in England is very anti-IPL, so this is a big deal.
    thing is however, if butler does get in the side, where will he bat and will he keep or would parthiv keep? also consider that there are only a max of 4 foreign players per team. we know mumbai will definately choose malinga and pollard; maybe lendl simmons to open and corey anderson/tim southee as bowling/low end options. if it is batting oriented pitch, then I reckon butler has a chance of being in the side. otherwise it remains to be seen (personally annoyed mumbai didnt keep hales as he would have been better opener than simmons imo)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    thing is however, if butler does get in the side, where will he bat and will he keep or would parthiv keep?
    He can bat anywhere, due to his explosiveness. He won't be over there for the full season, I don't imagine, due to commitments to the ECB with his central contract. He'll play when he's available.

As for keeping, that's up to the selectors.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    He can bat anywhere, due to his explosiveness. He won't be over there for the full season, I don't imagine, due to commitments to the ECB with his central contract. He'll play when he's available.

As for keeping, that's up to the selectors.
    agree with the availability (I remember reading that the first few matches he wouldnt play but dont quote me on that)

ReputationRep:
    For sure.

Im sure he would play decently, but with only 4 overseas players in the playing team allowed, I dont see Mumbai Indian favouring Buttler over Simmons, Pollard, Anderson and Malinga.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im sure he would play decently, but with only 4 overseas players in the playing team allowed, I dont see Mumbai Indian favouring Buttler over Simmons, Pollard, Anderson and Malinga.
    Buttler has the potential to be one of the top three T20 players in the world. He may not be as big a draw for gates, but with fixtures aplenty, he'll play.

ReputationRep:
    Buttler has the potential to be one of the top three T20 players in the world. He may not be as big a draw for gates, but with fixtures aplenty, he'll play.
    Im sure he will play, but not much. Top 3, seriously? You really rank him amongst Gale, De villiers, Raina, Miller, Maxwell and Marsh just to name a few?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im sure he will play, but not much. Top 3, seriously? You really rank him amongst Gale, De villiers, Raina, Miller, Maxwell and Marsh just to name a few?
    Woah. I said: has the potential.

And I stand by that. He has such a high ceiling. Playing in the IPL, and hopefully Big Bash eventually, will only further that development and his ability. He's such a good player, honestly. He's probably a more complete batsman than Gayle, though he doesn't (yet) have the capability to get bums off seats like ABDV's power hitting.

In five years time, I'm convinced we'll be looking at one of the world's best T20/ODI players.

ReputationRep:
    indiaaaaaa :love:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.