Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Two misfiring sides meet today. Got to be honest, I didn't expect Kings or Mumbai to struggle like this and be languishing near the bottom of the table.

They have exactly the same IPL records: LLWLL.

Kings need Miller/Maxwell to fire, Mumbai need Buttler to fire.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can they just close Kings XI Punjab franchise? They play to half empty stadiums at home, crap team, horrible results and a captain who has no clue how to get the best out of his players.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    Can they just close Kings XI Punjab franchise? They play to half empty stadiums at home, crap team, horrible results and a captain who has no clue how to get the best out of his players.
    errr no. ipl needs a punjabi side. yes get rid of mitch johnson but otherwise I would say there are a decent team.

if anything, mumbai needs to get rid of a few more players and actually learn who to bid for at auction. chief amongst which is rohit sharma(or at least only make him open if mumbai bats 2nd). pollard, whilst loyal, isnt as good as he once was. h pandya has turned ot to be a bad investment (if anything, his lesser rated brother has been the main indian surprise of ipl this year). tim southeee and guptil were bad investments (unless they are playing down under or sa, in which case keep them).

at least theyre not idiots who bid shed loads of money for a has been like yuvi

ps I notice you are obviously a mumbai fan, question is are you marathi, do you like the players or only supporting it because of sachin (I am of marathi heritage therefore they are my home team in the competition, pune whilst marathi arent really my home team (west vs east marathi) but I guess theyre the 2nd home team)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's going to be a long, long year for Kings Xi. They were dreadful on the chase today. To be honest, they didn't do themselves any favours by bowling so wildly. Johnson's overstep when he appeared to dismiss Parthiv proved costly, given the fact the batsman went on to score his IPL best - 81 off 58.

Parthiv was excellent. He has been quiet thus far in the tournament, but he and Rayudu were great value in their 137-run partnership.

Kings were in with a shout for large periods of the chase. Maxwell finally found some form, and Miller treated Pollard with some disdain, but Bumrah and McClenaghan were on point towards the death. The pitch helped them massively, giving a seamer a paradise as the game progressed.

Buttler's cameo was refreshing, too.

Kings will end up bottom. And to make matters worse, Miller is injured.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    errr no. ipl needs a punjabi side. yes get rid of mitch johnson but otherwise I would say there are a decent team.

if anything, mumbai needs to get rid of a few more players and actually learn who to bid for at auction. chief amongst which is rohit sharma(or at least only make him open if mumbai bats 2nd). pollard, whilst loyal, isnt as good as he once was. h pandya has turned ot to be a bad investment (if anything, his lesser rated brother has been the main indian surprise of ipl this year). tim southeee and guptil were bad investments (unless they are playing down under or sa, in which case keep them).

at least theyre not idiots who bid shed loads of money for a has been like yuvi

ps I notice you are obviously a mumbai fan, question is are you marathi, do you like the players or only supporting it because of sachin (I am of marathi heritage therefore they are my home team in the competition, pune whilst marathi arent really my home team (west vs east marathi) but I guess theyre the 2nd home team)

pahaha im actually a full blooded punjabi. sorry to dissapoint you. Ive supported Sachin since i was 5, way way way before IPL started.

But my views are more practical as its a rubbish franchise with no hardcore loyal fan base like RCB, CSK or MI
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great to see another Englishman given the chance in the IPL, with Chris Jordan being drafted in by RCB.

I'm surprised Willey hasn't opted to chase the money in the tournament, especially given the quality he showed in India during the World Twenty20 tournament last month.

Willey obviously wants to become more than just a limited overs white-ball player for his country, though. Hence the move to Yorkshire from his boyhood club Northants. He is in a good environment ther: Gillespie is a tremendous coach, Yorkshire are reigning champions, and he can learn from Sidebottom's experience.

As for Jordan? He's a tremendous bowler at the death, and RCB will definitely be able to utilise him effectively as the tournament progresses.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sunrisers vs Pune today. The latter desperately need a victory after four losses on the bounce.

You imagine that Dhoni's strategy will be to dismiss Warner as quickly as possible. With him at the crease, Sunrisers are fearsome. I don't think they'll miss KP too much, given the strength of their upper order.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A shame we didn't get a full night's play - but Pune needed that.

I thought their seam bowlers, especially Dinda on his debut, worked exceptionally well in the conditions. That laid the foundation for both Smith and du Plessis to shine.

Sunrisers did well to post a total of three figures after being five wickets down for just 30 runs. I thought they were done for when Warner was dismissed so early, and so it proved.

That's the 28th win by a chasing side in 22 games during this year's tournament.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    BLOODY HELL MORRIS where did that come from!?!?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Game of the tournament so far - by some distance.

Man, the Daredevils - or Morris - deserved so much more from that. Kulkarni's bowling was magnificent for Gujarat to begin with, and Bravo's death bowling was exquisite to seal the victory, but Morris deserved to be on the winning side for that knock after all about him lost their heads and made his task an uphill one.

B-Mac was exceptional for Gujarat to begin with, but Delhi did well to target him with slower balls. McCullum relies on pace - that much is clear - and by taking the pace off the ball, you limit his danger.

There was great bowling on offer from the likes of Tahir, too, who is bolstering his reputation as one of the best T20 bowlers around.

The less said about Raina's continued deployment of Jadeja and Tambe - one over respectively, for a combined 31 runs - the better, though.

What was going on with the fielding in that last over, too? Gujarat almost shot themselves in the foot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Another AWESOME game of cricket.

Mumbai won - but Christ, they made it hard for themselves in the field. Ricky Ponting would have been fuming. Catches win matches, and the best sides are those who can field well. The most important aspect of cricket is not batting or bowling; it's fielding. That's the only time where a team is a team. Mumbai were dreadful in the field today.

Without Sharma, and Pollard, they'd have lost. The former batted exceptionally and led by example, notching his fourth fifty in four chases, while Pollard shrugged off the stiffness he displayed in the field with an effervescent and fiery innings.

I thought KKR could have probably scored more. Gambhir/Uthappa were exceptional together again (is there a better partnership anywhere in the IPL right now?) but their spin-heavy attack let them down. Once the conditions played out how they did, and the dew surfaced, it was always going to be tough playing so many spinners. KKR had six, effectively. That was way too many - and it proved costly.

That's not to say it was a cakewalk for Mumbai. McClenaghan should have dismissed Gambhir much earlier, and Southee put down two catches. McCleneghan also missed a run out. That's four wickets Mumbai just gave up.

In contrast, KKR were great in the field - smart slip catches, and that one to dismiss Buttler on the boundary was a beauty.

Sadly, not much else went right for them and Mumbai powered their way to victory.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    axar patel hattrick
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Poor Pune.

First KP, and now Smith/Marsh are injured to boot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kings XI have lost Marsh too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Punjab need to grab Amla or Shahzad . Vijay being captain was a shout though. Also, seems like all the australians are pulling out... seems fishy...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Awesome stuff on the chase from KKR on the chase today. A really tough asking rate, but Pathan and Russell put on 96 runs in 44 balls. Awesome.

I thought the work done by RCB in the final five overs - from Shane Watson, Sachin Baby and Stuart Binny respectively - had set them up for a decent win after the solid foundation left by Kohli.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Back to back wins for the Daredevils - and they're up to second in the points table.

Gujarat remain top despite consecutive losses, but the upper order is a concern.

Delhi dismissed the Lions' three overseas batsmen - McCullum, Smith and Finch - within three overs and it was all too easy.

The middle order had their backs to the wall from then on, and despite some late power hitting, their score was way below par. Delhi were good value for their eight wicket win.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an RCB fan and dont want them to losse any matches..........but I also dont want Dhoni to loose to Kohli. Yes Kohli is my favourite cricketer and is one among the best batsmen in the world right now, better than Dhoni, but Captain Cool is the King!! Even though Kohli is the best!!:eek3::eek4:

I guess I'll have to support RCB for the coming match coz RPS has a sh*t team and is not gonna win this years IPL anyways. But i want both the teams to be in the top four!!

:banghead:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good to see Billings impress again last night - albeit briefly.

I thought Pune overcame their recent injuries in some style, to be honest. Khawaja's brisk knock showed what talent he'll bring to the Supergiants, and what a shrewd acquisition he is, but really, it was all Rahane's doing.

Delhi struggled in the middle portion of the innings, but Pune helped themselves by taking regular wickets and the chase wasn't as straightforward as I initially anticipated. Shami's bowling proved really costly - especially that wide which went for a boundary.

Anybody else think Duminy's captaincy was odd, though? They missed Khan's decision making, in my view.

I felt Mishra deserved the chance to bowl at Dhoni, rather than Negi, and Shami shouldn't have got the death overs over Brathwaite.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Good to see Billings impress again last night - albeit briefly.

I thought Pune overcame their recent injuries in some style, to be honest. Khawaja's brisk knock showed what talent he'll bring to the Supergiants, and what a shrewd acquisition he is, but really, it was all Rahane's doing.

Delhi struggled in the middle portion of the innings, but Pune helped themselves by taking regular wickets and the chase wasn't as straightforward as I initially anticipated. Shami's bowling proved really costly - especially that wide which went for a boundary.

Anybody else think Duminy's captaincy was odd, though? They missed Khan's decision making, in my view.

I felt Mishra deserved the chance to bowl at Dhoni, rather than Negi, and Shami shouldn't have got the death overs over Brathwaite.
    complete agree with you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.