Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    249 runs by virat kohli and ab de villiers LOL!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Astonishing stuff from ABDV, especially considering the fact that the pitch is on the slow side :ahee:

Not a bad century from Virat either First player to score 3 tons in a season :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Ab de stroyer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, that was remarkable. I'm such a fan of Kohli - as you all know - but he and ABDV together? It's like Messi and Ronaldo on the same team. ABDV is my favourite ever batsman - but Kohli may eclipse him one day.

If anybody was going to spearhead a record winning margin in the IPL, it was this pair. It was also only the second instance of two batsmen scoring centuries in the same innings in 5703 T20s. They broke records all over the place today.

To be honest, Gujarat missed Raina a huge amount - but, even with their captain, they wouldn't have had enough to chase down such an extraordinary total. Jordan finally chipped in with wickets - great numbers, too, with 4-11 - and showed his ability as one of the white-ball bowlers with huge potential in the English game. I really want Willey to be given a chance in the IPL, but naturally, he fosters red ball ambitions and wants to be a part of the Test set-up, so is concentrating on County cricket after joining Yorkshire.

Gujarat started brightly, dismissing Gayle cheaply AGAIN. That's his fifth single-digit score in as many matches. Something is wrong with him.

But Kohli and ABDV cut loose when spin was introduced by McCullum. 167 off the last nine overs. Remarkable batting. Every Gujarat bowler had an economy rate of 10+, bar Jadeja.

ReputationRep:
    Like having Messi and Ronaldo on the same team
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To put into context, Kohli and ABDV now boast the two highest T20 partnerships ever. Sensational.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sunrisers all but through to the knockouts - and KXIP join Pune as being out of the competition. It's a real shame Amla's knock was in vain. A score of 93 should always be on the winning side in a T20 match, to be honest.

Yuvraj and Cutting nailed the chase, and the latter really impressed me on his debut. They helped themselves against Mohit's bowling - and, to be honest, the 18th over took it away from Kings. 19 runs off it, and once the pair had racked up that amount with 12 balls left, it was a done deal.

Warner and Shikhar Dhawan are enjoying a fruitful partnership right now - though, admittedly, not to the extent of Kohli/ABDV - but I have a feeling the former will be pretty annoyed at his habit of getting cheap dismissals recently.

ReputationRep:
    Really hoping RCB somehow make it into the top 4, I need more of the Kohli/ABD show
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Big win for Mumbai yesterday - and, once again, it was good to see Buttler end unbeaten and contribute with the gloves to boot.

Delhi played an extra spinner but Pandya was absolutely breathtaking in his play of the slow-arm bowlers. It was a shame he couldn't get the century.

Mumbai look likely to qualify for the knockouts now, but it'll be close for both them and Delhi.

Not much has been made of Guptill's contribution, but that cameo and his array of shots laid the groundwork for Mumbai to get 200+ in my opinion.

Morris did well to remove Pandya eventually, and then Pollard not long after. At that stage, Zaheer must have been livid with himself for the decision to deploy so many bowlers, especially given Tahir's figures of 0-59.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Great win for RCB :dance: Kohli and ABDV did it again :ahee:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Awesome from Kohli and ABDV again, of course, but credit to Gayle too.

He just loves playing against KKR - and he needed that innings today, after struggled and posting a sequence of disappointing single digit scores recently.

Gayle vs KKR: 339 runs in five innings at a strike rate of 162.20 including two centuries and two half centuries.

What a player.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    STOP IT KOHLI, JUST STOP IT.

Seriously, the man is a genius. 113 today, to help RCB strengthen their position in their bid to reach the knockouts. He can do it all, and I really hope we see something special from Root in the coming days and weeks against SL and then Pakistan to show that he and Kohli are equals.

In terms of Kohli today, he was just magnificent - again. He and Gayle's celebrations were a sight to behold. We know how special Kohli and ABDV are, but Gayle has struggled in this IPL. In his last two innings, though, he has shown the quality we all know he possesses. If Kohli and ABDV are Messi and Ronaldo, then Gayle is Kaka: once the world's best, fading now, but still so far ahead of the rest of the players in a somewhat pedestrian league.

RCB are now second in the table, and Kohli got them there. That's even more remarkable considering he had split webbing on Monday, and reportedly needed treatment.

Kings should have run him out on 10, and they'll rue that missed chance.

4000+ runs in his IPL career now, four centuries in this year's tournament, 2000 runs at he Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore.

All hail Kohli.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nice to see Gayle firing again but idk what to say about Kohli :lol: The man is a genius! :ahee:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The great games are coming thick and fast, and it's no surprise, with six teams still in contention.

Gujarat and KKR will be brilliant tomorrow.

The latter will really miss Andre Russell, you imagine. He's a vital batsman for them, but not only that, he is their highest wicket taker. With the Lions' batting line-up so fierce, you'd need him in your side, especially considering the runs have dried up for the partnership of Gambhir (who remains in form, admittedly) and Uthappa.

Lions welcome back Suresh Raina, though, and that may help them recover after their recent poor form. He loves batting against Chawla - I'm looking forward to seeing that duel. No batsman has scored more from a single bowler than Raina vs Chawla in IPL history.

I thought Gujarat qualify with ease, but they've only won once in their last five. Hopefully KKR win, but I'd like both to advance.

ReputationRep:
    Kohli is just a machine. Seriously. Scoring 4 centuries in this season, with a chance of at least one more (you wouldn't put it past him) is just incredible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    RCB's run rate is +0.930, vastly superior to the other teams, so you imagine they'll make the knockouts now. And, once there, they are a force to be reckoned with.

A win in their final match against Delhi Daredevils in Raipur on Sunday could confirm their place in the final four.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh dear. KKR are falling apart - but that is a priceless win for Gujarat.

Smith was excellent. Figures of 4-8 are phenomenal on any day, but against a side like KKR, they are exceptional returns for a bowler. The pitch helped, no doubt, but KKR need to look at their batsmen. They just haven't performed. 124 is a poor, poor score, and it was no surprise the Lions sauntered to it.

Everything went wrong for KKR today: Gambhir and Uthappa, usually so reliable, allowed their partnership to be ruined by a run-out mix-up.

Then when Smith got going, the wickets tumbled, and it was no surprise Raina's return bolstered the Lions' chase. They were flowing with confidence, and he and Aaron Finch's partnership was excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a KKR fan (because Wasim is their bowling coach) but watching Virat Kohli bat with ABD is mind-blowing!

I think that RCB will win every game they have to in order to win the entire tournament.

I also think that the IPL would be so much better with Pakistani bowlers like Amir (and batsmen) in it. Shame board doesn't allow them to play in it.

Who do you guys think is the better bowler, Mustifizur or Amir?

I think Amir is a better swing bowler but lacks ability for cutters. He also bowls at a much faster pace.
    Mustafizur gets the ball to cut away from the right hander resulting in an awkward angle and lots of outside edges but he is quite slow.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Delhi need a win tomorrow. They need to, ideally, beat both Sunrisers tomorrow and then RCB this weekend. Their recent form has been dreadful. Four losses in their last five. They have constantly chopped and changed their side, so it's little wonder they've struggled. Only three players have played all their matches. They score slowly in the powerplays, too.

With Zaheer, though, they've got a chance. Sunrisers will miss Nehra, too. I imagine Barinder Sran is likely to return.

I think Sunrisers will win - because Delhi haven't acclimatised to their new 'home' yet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well done Delhi! A tense victory, but a vital one for them. I've worried for them recently, but they performed really well against a fierce Sunrisers side.

Nair did great to score 83 from 50+ balls, really, and he showed heart and a steady-head at the death to get the Daredevils over the line. Warner will really regret that drop, but Nair - like all the best players during their best innings - seemed to have nine lives today. He survived a drop, and a caught behind appeal.

I loved watching Pant/Nair's partnership. This IPL has really been one for the openers, but also one for the partnerships. ABDV/Kohli, Uthappa/Gambhir, but today's knock between Pant and Nair was right up there with the best of them.

It's all getting tight at the top, isn't it?

Warner didn't really deserve to be on the losing side today, but Morgan continues to disappoint. How good was Mishra's work for the run out to send back Hooda, too? Great stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.