Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indian Premier League 2016 Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    just cos rcb lost? lol
    I don't support any IPL team.

(Original post by quasa)
    who cares! look at
    english premier league football: none of the teams can be considered truly english.

british tennis: the british women's no.1 is an aussie and the Men's no.2 is a slovenian.

even look at the indian national squad's coaching: its coached by non-indians. are there any great indian cricket coaches, nope, theyre mainly aussies and africans.

btw, I am indian
    I don't care about english football. IPL is just a con giving indian money to foreign cricket mercenaries who don't have any loyalty to the teams they play for. They even switch every few years. What's the point? A T20 tournament between all of India's states (similar to Euro 2016) would be far superior to this rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    OK guys, as OP, id like to have your thoughts on the tournament some questions:
    Biggest Disappointment of the tournament?
    Biggest shock / surprise match of the tournament? srh making it to the finals
    Batsman of the tournament? Kohli
    Bowler of the tournament? Mustafizur Rahman/ Bhuvi
    Wicketkeeper of tournament?
    Rookie of the tournament? Gujarat Lions
    MVP of the tournament?
    Captain of the tournament? David Warner
    Team of the tournament? SRH
    match of the tournament?srh vs rcb

ReputationRep:
    Caught the end of the final to see Kohli's bad luck with his dismissal (although tbf you could say it's swings and roundabouts with the strokes of lucks he gets with his innings in the shorter format at times) but SRH seem to have had a good balance in their team compared to the batting Galacticos of RCB. Mustafizur seems a good bowler, left arm, decent action and bowled some good deliveries at the end. Not seen any of the tournament but IMO, bit too long for my liking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Congratulations, Sunrisers.

RCB are the nearly men AGAIN. Sunrisers played their hand early - opting to bat - and duly delivered with Warner in talismanic form. He was always going to be crucial to their chances, and with Cutting's knock to boot, they posted a fearsome total. Warner has spoken about how he knew his team had to reach 200 - and they did in style.

Their bowlers have been brilliant throughout, and with RCB enjoying a decent record at home (they'd reached 200+ three times) and with Gayle/Kohli/ABDV, it was a difficult task for the seamers.

Mustafizur's off cutters and Bhuvneshwar Kumar yorkers were in wild contrast to Watson's failings with the ball. It was undoubtedly the bowlers which won the IPL today - and that's surprising, given the fact we'll likely remember Kohli's knocks and ABDV's sensational form when we think of the 2016 edition in future years.

It was an IPL for the chasing sides, but not today.

From an Englishman's POV, it was great to see Jordan chipping in with three priceless wickets.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Biggest disappointment of the tournament? I expected much more from Miller and Maxwell, but it has to be The Universe Boss for me. Gayle ended with stats of 227 runs in 10 games at 22.70. He had a couple of great knocks and flurries, but didn't do enough to get anywhere near Kohli or ABDV.
    Biggest shock/surprise match of the tournament? Mumbai not making it to the final four, to be honest. I had high hopes for them - largely because I'm a big fan of Buttler.
    Batsman of the tournament? Virat Kohli. Deserved to lift the trophy imho.
    Bowler of the tournament? Bruvneshwar. 23 wickets at 7.42 is not shabby - especially after he took a pasting early on in the tournament and conceded 28 runs from one over.
    Wicketkeeper of tournament? Either Rahul or de Kock, but I'm tempted to opt for the former because he had five catches, four stumpings and played a key role with the bat too.
    Rookie of the tournament? Adam Zampa. Whisper it, but Australia have a proper world-class spinner on their hands - again. I'm scared.
    MVP of the tournament? Either Kohli, for the reasons above, or Warner, for the reasons below.
    Captain of the tournament? David Warner. He showed bravery to bat first in the latter stages of the competition, when all the stats beforehand showed that it was a chasing tournament. He led from the front when his middle order failed to show up, and was repaid by great performances from his bowlers. He seems to be a better human being these days, so fair play to him. I remember Michael Clarke saying he could be Australia captain one day - and he's proving Pup right.
    Team of the tournament? Obviously Sunrisers.
    Match of the tournament? RCB vs Gujarat, purely for Kohli and ABDV's brilliance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Biggest disappointment of the tournament? I expected much more from Miller and Maxwell, but it has to be The Universe Boss for me. Gayle ended with stats of 227 runs in 10 games at 22.70. He had a couple of great knocks and flurries, but didn't do enough to get anywhere near Kohli or ABDV.
    Biggest shock/surprise match of the tournament? Mumbai not making it to the final four, to be honest. I had high hopes for them - largely because I'm a big fan of Buttler.
    Batsman of the tournament? Virat Kohli. Deserved to lift the trophy imho.
    Bowler of the tournament? Bruvneshwar. 23 wickets at 7.42 is not shabby - especially after he took a pasting early on in the tournament and conceded 28 runs from one over.
    Wicketkeeper of tournament? Either Rahul or de Kock, but I'm tempted to opt for the former because he had five catches, four stumpings and played a key role with the bat too.
    Rookie of the tournament? Adam Zampa. Whisper it, but Australia have a proper world-class spinner on their hands - again. I'm scared.
    MVP of the tournament? Either Kohli, for the reasons above, or Warner, for the reasons below.
    Captain of the tournament? David Warner. He showed bravery to bat first in the latter stages of the competition, when all the stats beforehand showed that it was a chasing tournament. He led from the front when his middle order failed to show up, and was repaid by great performances from his bowlers. He seems to be a better human being these days, so fair play to him. I remember Michael Clarke saying he could be Australia captain one day - and he's proving Pup right.
    Team of the tournament? Obviously Sunrisers.
    Match of the tournament? RCB vs Gujarat, purely for Kohli and ABDV's brilliance.
    I agree with everything except the wicket keeper, coz I think Naman Ojha was the best keeper, he took unbelievable catches and stopped bad balls that would have gone for boundaries
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What about XI of the tournament?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.