Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not tuned into the IPL but caught wind of this furore of Harsha Bhogle being demoted from the commentary team from the IPL with reasons varying involvement from Amitabh Bachchan to him over-praising Bangladesh's performance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Not tuned into the IPL but caught wind of this furore of Harsha Bhogle being demoted from the commentary team from the IPL with reasons varying involvement from Amitabh Bachchan to him over-praising Bangladesh's performance.
    Wait what?!?!?! I was wondering why he hadn't been doing any commentary - link for more info?

but otherwise good to see shikhar dhawan keeping up his amazing form of late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Wait what?!?!?! I was wondering why he hadn't been doing any commentary - link for more info?
    Background here.

Apparently it's not the first occasion a journalist/commentator has been reprimanded by the BCCI, judging from tweets I read earlier so maybe they've made the situation worse or bringing it to the fore by 'banning' Bhogle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exceptional match between RCB and Sunrisers today. It was probably my favourite of the tournament so far, even if the 45 run margin of victory meant it wasn't closely contested.

ABDV and Kohli were exceptional, and if they can keep that level of performance up consistently, then RCB will surely be unlucky not to walk away with the trophy. Watson chipped in with both bat and ball, and his most crucial intervention was probably dismissing Warner after he started so well with that 21-ball half-century.

Looking forward to Kolkata Knight Riders v Mumbai Indians now. The latter needs to bounce back, but can they? Especially with Hogg in such a rich vein of form.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    The match between mumbai and Kolkatta was awsome. I expected KKR to win after posting 187 but dang, ponting is still a tactical genius. who knew mcclenighan (apologies for spelling) would score 20 of 8. buttler had a nice cameo (and me and my dad were doing inspector blake impressions- "ill get you for this buttler!") everytime he hit a boundary. sharma played a nice captains innings and pollard only scored a single...and still won the match.

good news for mumbai fans (and me considering I called this before auctions but auctions proved me wrong but circumstances have made my prediction right again ). now that lendl simmons is injured, my predicted opener is finally coming to the IPL to open for mumbai (clue: he has a suspiciously indian sounding surname but is white & from australasia)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Background here.

Apparently it's not the first occasion a journalist/commentator has been reprimanded by the BCCI, judging from tweets I read earlier so maybe they've made the situation worse or bringing it to the fore by 'banning' Bhogle.
    wtf, bhogle is to cricket what murray walker /martin brundle is to F1 imo. he is the voice of cricket for the current generation of cricket fans around the world.

who cares about bachan, he is an old has been and the bcci president seems like a ****. we get that a local celebrity with big clout is asking an indian journalist to show more support for india but the key aspect of journalism is to be IMPARTIAL TO ALL SIDES
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great knock from Buttler to help Mumbai win today. Good to see him performing.

McClenaghan walking out at four was a shock, but his slogging was exceptional and allowed the Indians to catch fire. Sharma batted beautifully, too, and it was Mumbai's batting which shone through.

KKR's spinners - Hogg, Kuldeep Yadav and Piyush Chawla - cost 103 in 11 overs. Worrying.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Great knock from Buttler to help Mumbai win today. Good to see him performing.

McClenaghan walking out at four was a shock, but his slogging was exceptional and allowed the Indians to catch fire. Sharma batted beautifully, too, and it was Mumbai's batting which shone through.

KKR's spinners - Hogg, Kuldeep Yadav and Piyush Chawla - cost 103 in 11 overs. Worrying.
    I know right. hog was the most economical spinner.. and he still conceded 31.

on the plus side, how you reckon the indian sounding kiwi will fit in the squad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    guptil
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Kings XI kicking off in style with a loss.

SIGH.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    I know right. hog was the most economical spinner.. and he still conceded 31.

on the plus side, how you reckon the indian sounding kiwi will fit in the squad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    guptil
    Hogg is 45. Outrageous.

Despite Simmons' paltry score on the opening matchday, he has been pivotal for Mumbai. I'm confident Guptill can step up, though. I was shocked he was unsold during the player auction.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hogg is 45. Outrageous.

Despite Simmons' paltry score on the opening matchday, he has been pivotal for Mumbai. I'm confident Guptill can step up, though. I was shocked he was unsold during the player auction.
    its like I said in a previous post, I think its due to his inconsistency in indian conditions (that being said, I have no idea how he did in the world cup tbh)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Kings XI kicking off in style with a loss.

SIGH.
    LOOOOL tell me about it - You from Punjab or just feel like supporting the underdogs... the underdog that almost won it in 2014 LOL

tbf, vohra and vijay were pretty good. maxi is just a waste of space. Miller is killer and got done by a good ball, Mitchell Johnson is useless in IPL, he bowls it and the batsman need only nick it and it goes off for a 4/6 and he is inaccurate and doesn't concede singles only boundaries. Sandeep Sharma, now he is talented! Axar Patel is excellent imo and stoinis was good. Need to replace johnson with marsh, strengthen the batting line up.

ReputationRep:
    Hogg is 45. Outrageous.

Guptill has been so good for NZ in limited overs cricket recently, it's crazy that he wasn't sold in the auction, to be honest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hogg is 45. Outrageous.
    Love watching him bowl - him, Axar Patel, Starc, Ashwin, Narine. Lovely Bowling actions and mix up of deliveries!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    its like I said in a previous post, I think its due to his inconsistency in indian conditions (that being said, I have no idea how he did in the world cup tbh)
    He struck that 80 against Pakistan, which was a tremendous knock. I think that match was played at PCA.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Guptill has been so good for NZ in limited overs cricket recently, it's crazy that he wasn't sold in the auction, to be honest.
    its how he performed in india prior to the t20 world cup this year that was a major factor. that being said, I hear he did well in the world cup so maybe that is what brought him in (also when stokes has to go back for county duties, he will def be a good replacement). speaking of mumbais squad, southee is turning out to be a bit of a bad investment. I know we have to wait and see but he didnt look his best today.

also for their 4 overseas players, who will they pick. stokes and mcclenigan (again sorry if I spelt it wrong) are definately 2 players but who are the other 2. to me, pollard and anderson need to be switched up with each other and number 4 should be guptil if they are in a good batting pitch but otherwise I have no idea (also anyone else notice mumbai has a bit of a kiwi presence about them)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Love watching him bowl - him, Axar Patel, Starc, Ashwin, Narine. Lovely Bowling actions and mix up of deliveries!
    he is 1 of my fav oldies in sport atm (chris jericho is another but wrestling is moire of a soap than a sport I guess)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    LOOOOL tell me about it - You from Punjab or just feel like supporting the underdogs... the underdog that almost won it in 2014 LOL

tbf, vohra and vijay were pretty good. maxi is just a waste of space. Miller is killer and got done by a good ball, Mitchell Johnson is useless in IPL, he bowls it and the batsman need only nick it and it goes off for a 4/6 and he is inaccurate and doesn't concede singles only boundaries. Sandeep Sharma, now he is talented! Axar Patel is excellent imo and stoinis was good. Need to replace johnson with marsh, strengthen the batting line up.
    Yeah family are all Punjabi (My parents and I were born here though). So naturally everyone follows Kings XI
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    btw, is tamim iqbal playing ipl this year. he scored more runs than anyone else in world cup but just want to confirm

ReputationRep:
    Great win for MI but I am still unsure why Munro, Hastings and Hogg are in the team instead of Shakib, Morkel and Narine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.