Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    btw, is tamim iqbal playing ipl this year. he scored more runs than anyone else in world cup but just want to confirm
    No he plays in Pakistan league. Surprised by so many players who aren't playing in the IPL:

Amla, Guptil, Mohammed Amir, Chris Jordan etc...

Next year I think players like Santner, Sodhi and Khawaja of Austrailia could play in IPL
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    No he plays in Pakistan league. Surprised by so many players who aren't playing in the IPL:

Amla, Guptil, Mohammed Amir, Chris Jordan etc...

Next year I think players like Santner, Sodhi and Khawaja of Austrailia could play in IPL
    pakistani players is a bit obvious the bcci doesnt want them in (as an indian I want to see pakistani players fight for wins for indian teams)

the others (minus amla) is surprising as well. amla does well in longer formats of the game and isnt as consistent in t20 I find
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Excited to hear the atmosphere during the Gujarat and Pune match tomorrow. The two newest franchises, and they both seem to be embracing the madness of the IPL.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    gujarat vs pune is on now, rahane has gone, du plessis and pitersen on the crease, 109-1 so far.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How many times are we going to see a chasing team win in the IPL this year? It's happening constantly.

Really surprised Pune didn't go on to score above 180 with the way they were set. Without Dhoni's flurry at the end, they'd have barely scraped 160+ which is a damning indictment of the way they collapsed today. Really poor discipline towards the latter portion of the innings.

Their bowling was wayward and poor, too. You can't afford to give the likes of Finch and B-Mac generosity with your deliveries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    How many times are we going to see a chasing team win in the IPL this year? It's happening constantly.

Really surprised Pune didn't go on to score above 180 with the way they were set. Without Dhoni's flurry at the end, they'd have barely scraped 160+ which is a damning indictment of the way they collapsed today. Really poor discipline towards the latter portion of the innings.

Their bowling was wayward and poor, too. You can't afford to give the likes of Finch and B-Mac generosity with your deliveries.

True but I think Gujrat overall have the stronger team and firepower with bat they are on par with RPS if not better and bowling they are ahead with players like Jadeja, DJ Bravo and Faulkner
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    True but I think Gujrat overall have the stronger team and firepower with bat they are on par with RPS if not better and bowling they are ahead with players like Jadeja, DJ Bravo and Faulkner
    With du Plessis and KP allowing Pune to be so well set, though, the result and the emphatic nature is disappointing.

I agree with you though. Gujarat also had the better spin options - Tambe and Jakati, with the former dismissing Rahane - especially. Faulkner bowled with great discipline and went for only seven in his opening over, and Bravo and Jadeja are always tricky and lead batsman to hole out.

Raina showed great captaincy by bringing on spinner after spinner and not allowing Pune to capitalise on that good early start.

Pune under-scored by 20 or 30.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

To be honest, it is a really common trait for a lot of IPLs. so far, I think banglore is the only team to successfully defend this year. Look at mumbai last year, they won most of their matches batting second.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    To be honest, it is a really common trait for a lot of IPLs. so far, I think banglore is the only team to successfully defend this year. Look at mumbai last year, they won most of their matches batting second.
    I'd always prefer to chase in T20s personally, but it seems this year's IPL is on repeat. Granted, it's the first I've watched avidly.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I'd always prefer to chase in T20s personally, but it seems this year's IPL is on repeat. Granted, it's the first I've watched avidly.
    same here (also for spectators generally) about the run chase. its all about how they can win or lose. its like a game of chess: the guy in white sets a strategy in play and everyone wants to see how the guy in black responds / sets traps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    same here (also for spectators generally) about the run chase. its all about how they can win or lose. its like a game of chess: the guy in white sets a strategy in play and everyone wants to see how the guy in black responds / sets traps
    Watching Kohli chase has eclipsed ABDV's batting as my favourite thing in cricket.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    dang, mumbai lost on the last ball. credit where its due, they managed to put up some resistance but they were idiots not choosing guptil to open with patel / sharma.

ReputationRep:
    Watching Kohli chase has eclipsed ABDV's batting as my favourite thing in cricket.
    Damnn, I would like to believe that a lot of people believe this too, especially after the recent WT20.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gambhir and Uthappa are such an exciting partnership for KKR, who are the only IPL team to have four Indian batsmen in their top five.

Today was Gambhir's 28th half century in the IPL. That's some going.

I really like the look of the Sunrisers' team, but you can't deny it doesn't lack depth. Once Warner holed out today, they were on a hiding to nothing.

Dhawan is in horrid form, and Morgan isn't doing much better. Both players are clearly shy of confidence, and even though the dismissal of the latter was some exceptional fielding, you have to say that Sunrisers losing wickets cheaply in quick succession hampered their gameplan.

It's hard to be aggressive and on the front foot once wickets tumble.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    RCB's batting lineup is one of the highlights of the IPL :ahee: Looking forward to tomorrow's match :dance:

Not had the chance to watch a full game yet due to work and other commitments
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All credit to Finch today. He was hobbling at the end, but his knock of 60+ helped his side over the line.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    RCB's batting lineup is one of the highlights of the IPL :ahee: Looking forward to tomorrow's match :dance:

Not had the chance to watch a full game yet due to work and other commitments
    what do you think of quali today. ferrari serious blew a good opportunity. also shame for alonso not getting into q3. the mchondas look like they have improved a lot
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Surely Kings won't persist with Johnson? I'd bring in Abbott or Marcus Stoinis tomorrow.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    what a win, vijay and vohra on point
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A real shame both du Plessis' knock was made redundant today.

I thought de Kock was exceptional, though. To rack up a 48 ball ton is impressive, but to do it against a team boasting the might of RCB was just remarkable.

When Kohli is scoring 79, and ABDV is chipping in with a half-century, you need something special to claw your way back into it and de Kock provided that.

I thought it would be easier for them once they dismissed Gayle so cheaply and early, to be honest.

I was really impressed with Karun Nair, too. He did so well as a supporting cast member.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.