Turn on thread page Beta

Indian Premier League 2016 Thread watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    FINALLY Sunrisers are off the mark. A really good, even contest I thought.

Warner's class shone through, obviously. The difference between the sides was obviously the bowling attacks, though. Mumbai struggled on the deck and bowled too short despite Southee's brilliance, but Sunrisers made it swing and everything went right for Warner after he won the toss.

I was gutted for Martin Guptill and Jos Buttler. The latter continues to fail to impress.

ReputationRep:
    well played by shikhar dhawan! Got to rate the guy tho, his consistency is 10/10, consistency of playing awful cricket - only 11 double figure scores since 2011. even then, he passed 20 only 7 times. Great consistency of having sh!te form

Surely now he has to be dropped for a Rahane / Utthapa or even Gambhir / Parthiv for that matter, should dhoni want to open with a left hander! Dhawan eats deliveries and then gets out for a sub 100 strike rate.

Funny cos when Yuvraj did that in 2014, he got slated for it and lost his place in indian cricket, that was a one off - this mug shikhar dhawan has been failing at the top for 5+ years now and still has his place!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Amazing that Dhawan effectively fell twice in four balls today.

Sunrisers' bowling, as I mentioned, was terrific though. Before today, they had managed just six wickets in the IPL. It's lucky that Warner fired for them today, though. He gave them a good base.

We've seen the importance of fast starts in the IPL this year. A lot of the victories are coming via the openers rather than late surges.

Nine of the top ten scorers thus far are openers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    35 days left till season kicks off.

biggest changes: chennai and rajastan have been kicked out for match fixing and been replaced by Gujrat Lions (looks like gujratis will have a team to support at last) and rising pune supergiants (another marathi team).

the main players from chennai have been split, with dhoni, du plessis and ashwin joining rahane and steve smith at pune; and raina, jadeja, mcculum and bravo joining gujarat.

the biggest surprise omisions from the auction were mike hussey, Usman Khawaja and Martin Guptil.

feel free to comment on matches, build-up and all things IPL / cricket related
    THIs is like dream come true !!! Cricket is in our blood like diabetes is in Amercians (jk jk😏😏)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kaam1234)
    THIs is like dream come true !!! Cricket is in our blood like diabetes is in Amercians (jk jk😏😏)
    you do know asians and black people are highest innate risk right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I fancy KKR today. Their openers just seem supreme right now.

ReputationRep:
    Utthapa's class when he plays in the front V is just beautiful
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Utthapa's class when he plays in the front V is just beautiful
    Gambhir and Uthappa is the best opening pair in the IPL bar none.

If I'm honest, I think the latter probably lacks a bit of temperament when the going gets tough. He seems to have a penchant for impatience at times when at the crease, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Gambhir and Uthappa is the best opening pair in the IPL bar none.

If I'm honest, I think the latter probably lacks a bit of temperament when the going gets tough. He seems to have a penchant for impatience at times when at the crease, too.
    true - i think he isn't that good at chasing, he is good at setting the score when all he is tasked with is getting as many runs as possible, rather than having a target and if high, taking unnecessary risks to reach it - losing his wicket.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    true - i think he isn't that good at chasing, he is good at setting the score when all he is tasked with is getting as many runs as possible, rather than having a target and if high, taking unnecessary risks to reach it - losing his wicket.
    1094 runs in 27 innings between the pair.

One thing which is clear is that Uthappa is just so, so comfortable facing pace.

ReputationRep:
    gutted with RCB's performance today
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Get in Jos Buttler! So good to see him impress and make a telling contribution to the Indians.

I can't believe, with the quality they boast, that this is Mumbai's second victory. They are such a talented side, and Raina elevating himself to the opening position - where he is more natural and more suited - allowed him to shine.

In truth, I thought RCB would have posted more. I expected to see a total touching the 200 mark, but it was telling that they didn't. I give credit to Pandya's bowling for that. He did really well to dismiss Kohli and ABDV within five deliveries. The pair started really brightly and I feared the worst for Mumbai, and when Watson went, I felt they should have sauntered.

RCB did really well to keep the game in their favour, though. Head batted exceptionally and I thought Mumbai had a tough task, but Raina - and Buttler and Pollard - helped them assert themselves during the chase.

Abdulla did his best to reign in Mumbai, but it wasn't to be.

ReputationRep:
    Get in Jos Buttler! So good to see him impress and make a telling contribution to the Indians.

I can't believe, with the quality they boast, that this is Mumbai's second victory. They are such a talented side, and Rainaelevating himself to the opening position - where he is more natural and more suited - allowed him to shine.

In truth, I thought RCB would have posted more. I expected to see a total touching the 200 mark, but it was telling that they didn't. I give credit to Pandya's bowling for that. He did really well to dismiss Kohli and ABDV within five deliveries. The pair started really brightly and I feared the worst for Mumbai, and when Watson went, I felt they should have sauntered.

RCB did really well to keep the game in their favour, though. Head batted exceptionally and I thought Mumbai had a tough task, but Raina - and Buttler and Pollard - helped them assert themselves during the chase.

Abdulla did his best to reign in Mumbai, but it wasn't to be.
    Do you mean Rohit Sharma or Rayudu as I am sure Raina doesn't play for Mumbai
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    Do you mean Rohit Sharma or Rayudu as I am sure Raina doesn't play for Mumbai
    I meant Sharma of course! D'oh.

Blame it on me being an English boy.

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone's thoughts on Mumbai? Can you see them winning the IPL this year?

I think they should make the top 4 with KKR, Gujrat Lions and RCB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    What is everyone's thoughts on Mumbai? Can you see them winning the IPL this year?

I think they should make the top 4 with KKR, Gujrat Lions and RCB
    I think they've found just what they need in Pandya: an all-rounder who can have impact with bat and ball who can link the big hitters in the upper order with the tail end.

ReputationRep:
    I think they've found just what they need in Pandya: an all-rounder who can have impact with bat and ball who can link the big hitters in the upper order with the tail end.
    Krunal or Hardik?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Krunal or Hardik?
    Krunal. He was the one who dismissed Kohli and ABDV

ReputationRep:
    Krunal. He was the one who dismissed Kohli and ABDV
    lol peak for hardik - i think he is over rated. poor bowler and better than average pinch hitter. Krunal seems to be better bowler and better pinch hitter! don't want to jinx him (krunal) though as it is still early days lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    still early days lol
    Definitely early days - but imagine managing to dismiss ABDV and Kohli in the space of five balls! Some bowlers go through a career without ever managing to dismiss either! Ha.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.