Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, well, well. I did NOT expect that. Fair play to Warner and Dhawan - absolutely ruthless batting from them. Efficient and explosive in equal measure.

They can thank Bhuvneshwar with his 4-29, and Mustafizur was great at the death again for Sunrisers at the death. He conceded only one boundary, despite being saved once again for the final six overs. That came via a Warner misfield, too!

Unlucky Raina. It just wasn't your day.

Really excited for Kohli vs Dhoni tomorrow. Pune need to recover the type of performance they had in their inaugural match. RCB will miss Chris Gayle, but I think he needs a break. He's seemed out of sorts in the early stages of the competition and a break with his family will do him good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    WHAT THE F**K?!? seriosuly, shikhar dhawan and raina both got good scores... ON THE SAME DAY?!?! wow what is the world coming to!?!?!?!

FIngers crossed shikhar gets a more regular score in the single figures, wouldn't want him to hurt himself now, what with a ZIM tour coming up...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Well, well, well. I did NOT expect that. Fair play to Warner and Dhawan - absolutely ruthless batting from them. Efficient and explosive in equal measure.

They can thank Bhuvneshwar with his 4-29, and Mustafizur was great at the death again for Sunrisers at the death. He conceded only one boundary, despite being saved once again for the final six overs. That came via a Warner misfield, too!

Unlucky Raina. It just wasn't your day.

Really excited for Kohli vs Dhoni tomorrow. Pune need to recover the type of performance they had in their inaugural match. RCB will miss Chris Gayle, but I think he needs a break. He's seemed out of sorts in the early stages of the competition and a break with his family will do him good.
    can someone tag AG and let him know of the result. (love to see his reaction as he confirmed he is a GL fan)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    can someone tag AG and let him know of the result. (love to see his reaction as he confirmed he is a GL fan)
    They are so reliant on Finch. The first time he hasn't scored a half-century in this year's IPL was yesterday, and they lost, underlining the fact other players need to step up.

Raina batted exceptionally - but his captaincy concerns me. He may have scored his first 50 in over 30 T20 matches yesterday, but his decision to have Kumar bowl so predominantly in the powerplay proved costly, and why on Earth wasn't Jadeja giving more of a role in trying to limit the Sunrisers?

ReputationRep:
    RCB RCB RCB RCB RCB RCB RCB RCB!!!! #viratian #divillian #gayle_force #starc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    WHAT THE F**K?!? seriosuly, shikhar dhawan and raina both got good scores... ON THE SAME DAY?!?! wow what is the world coming to!?!?!?!
    What next? Ian Bell and Jonathan Trott hitting centuries in the same match? Oh wait...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Awesome from ABDV today. A great batting performance to help RCB get over the line. Kohli scored well - sure, 80+ is an effective knock - but he was guilty of being too slow today I felt.

He could have scored with 10 balls or so less, in my view. RCB's bowlers probably weren't good enough either, despite dismissing so many batsmen.

Rahane did his best to try and get his side back into it - he found the leg side so well with those constant sweeps - but it just wasn't to be.

Kohli 1-0 Dhoni.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Crikey, it's going to be a long, long season for Kings XI.

Sunrisers totally dominated them today. Warner and Dhawan were excellent, and the bowlers didn't come close to making the match competitive. Mustafizur was a difference in both attacks. He was so effective and his figures - 2-9 - are the best of any IPL match in this year's competition so far I believe.

Warner just seems to be relishing the responsibility, and he seems to be in such a good, positive place. I read an interview with him earlier this week, saying how he loves the person he has become since giving up alcohol, and that positivity is breathing life into his career as a batsman. Today marked his third consecutive half-century.

Vohra, Naik and Axar did their best for Kings, but Miller and Glenn Maxwell continue to flatter to deceive. How many times can they let their side down? You need your best players to step up in the IPL. Henriques and Mustafizur caused them all manner of problems. Their lack of form is limiting their side's ability to dominate the middle overs. They've fell in the space of three balls against Gujarat, then four balls against Delhi, and now today, five deliveries.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    While I'm here, it's such a shame to see Buttler fail again. I had high hopes for the Indians, but they are languishing near the bottom of the table.

I thought Delhi had managed to score around 20 less than par on the pitch today, but they defended their score well. They can thank the bowling - Tahir showed the form which made him such a fearsome bowler at the World Twenty20, and Morris/Zaheer's death bowling was on point - for that.

Sharma batted really well, but that dismissal will haunt him for a while.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Vohra, Naik and Axar did their best for Kings, but Miller and Glenn Maxwell continue to flatter to deceive. They've fell in the space of three balls against Gujarat, then four balls against Delhi, and now today, five deliveries.
    man axar patel middled the crap out if his shots
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The great games just keep coming. KKR and Pune today.

We've seen KKR can chase well, and they are really leading the way in terms of quality thus far in the IPL. They have the best averages - both with bat and ball - but their reliance on Gambhir/Uthappa cannot be underestimated. That pair have scored 67% of the team's runs, and if Dhoni can target them with his attack, Pune may be victorious.

I'm not sure KP's absence will have much of an effect, especially with Smith able to come into the middle overs and assert himself. They'll need a good start from Rahane and du Plessis, and if they are defending, they need to show better quality than they have thus far. They've failed defending a lead twice.

They'll also need to see improvement from Ishant Sharma. He has been absolutely battered all over thus far, and his economy rate is the second worst of every IPL bowler.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    By the way, Gayle is yet to return for RCB apparently.

Not that that matters, when they've got Kohli and ABDV in such form, and Watson underneath them. Gujarat present a tough prospect for them. You shouldn't let their loss to Sunrisers cloud your judgement. Finch is a heck of a player and will want to bounce back, and Raina is back in form. They've also got the potential to skid out the RCB order, with Bravo/Jadeja especially.

ReputationRep:
    Kohli just scored his first 100 in ipl cricket
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    Kohli just scored his first 100 in ipl cricket
    His first 100 in T20 cricket, actually.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, well, well. Kohli's ton can't give RCB their victory.

I've discussed Kohli enough on here and everybody knows how big of a fan I am - but today was remarkable, especially given my criticism of him the other night, where I felt he underscored at a slow strike rate.

Gujarat won the match because of their hitting in the powerplay. B-Mac and Smith were the perfect duo for that environment - and their 72 is a powerplay record for this year's tournament thus far.

Raina and Karthik also did their bit, and it showed that while no batsman in the world (bar ABDV at his best, and perhaps Williamson and Root) can match Kohli, a team's chances of beating a Kohli side are when five or six batsmen play out of their skin and work together.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Crikey, it's going to be a long, long season for Kings XI.

Sunrisers totally dominated them today. Warner and Dhawan were excellent, and the bowlers didn't come close to making the match competitive. Mustafizur was a difference in both attacks. He was so effective and his figures - 2-9 - are the best of any IPL match in this year's competition so far I believe.

Warner just seems to be relishing the responsibility, and he seems to be in such a good, positive place. I read an interview with him earlier this week, saying how he loves the person he has become since giving up alcohol, and that positivity is breathing life into his career as a batsman. Today marked his third consecutive half-century.

Vohra, Naik and Axar did their best for Kings, but Miller and Glenn Maxwell continue to flatter to deceive. How many times can they let their side down? You need your best players to step up in the IPL. Henriques and Mustafizur caused them all manner of problems. Their lack of form is limiting their side's ability to dominate the middle overs. They've fell in the space of three balls against Gujarat, then four balls against Delhi, and now today, five deliveries.
    I wont be surprised if they dont retain Maxwell, Miller and Johnson for next season, all of them were one season wonders and lack the brain to play consistently t20 cricket in India. Teams have worked them out and all of them have become liabilities without giving anything in return to the franchises in term so performances ( They were only retained coz of their HYPE not performances)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    KKR hit the top of the table - and again show their ability when chasing.

Granted, this time they had to do it the hard way after Uthappa/Gambhir's partnership ended early. The former got a duck, and the latter only managed 11.

Still, they had enough to show their quality - Yadav and Pathan were exceptional - and to overcome their early slump.

They made it hard for themselves, mind. They went from 111-3 and conspired to lose five wickets in the next six overs.

You've got to feel for Dhoni. 160 should have probably been enough on a pitch like that, but his spinners were bowling too full and duly got dispatched to all corners of the stadium. Morkel went for 12 an over, R Ashwin went for 10+, and Perera/Sharma/M Ashwin went for 8+. Not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Virat Kohli scoring a century on Sachin's birthday :adore: He really is in the form of his life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lack of a spinner will ruin Pune's year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    with pune doing so badly, i hope that dhoni will not face more pressure to retire from international cricket. It is the players who fail to meet the mark - R Ashwin is being upstaged by M ashwin in almost all stats (econ, wkts and s/r) and with R ashwins experience he really should be leading from the front.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.