Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to get a bit anxious about my course and what I need/would help to know before hand. I applied to do International relations.
    All background knowledge that I do have is from my sociology at AS level, although I may need to re-read key words. Actually, is that even a good idea??

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justastudent321)
    I am starting to get a bit anxious about my course and what I need/would help to know before hand. I applied to do International relations.
    All background knowledge that I do have is from my sociology at AS level, although I may need to re-read key words. Actually, is that even a good idea??

Thank you in advance.
    Firstly, try not to be anxious. Most people will be starting the course with minimal relevant knowledge. Have you tried emailing your department to ask if there's a reading list or any recommended preliminary reading? Most universities will provide you with a list if you ask. I would also recommend looking for relevant Very Short Introduction books (A Very Short Introduction: International Relations would be a good start if you haven't already read it). Those books are often on the reading lists of universities because they're aimed at a university level and so can be more useful than A level texts. But don't worry if there are things you can't understand or if the writing seems dry (some books in the collection are better than others).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.