Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been revising Particle Physics and I'm struggling to understand the relationship between Work Function (WF) and Threshold Frequency (TF).

If I understand correctly, WF is the minimum energy to remove an electron from a metal, whereas the TF is the frequency of the light needed to do so.

How are these related? If I change one what happens to the other? It probably sounds really simple but it's giving me a headache trying to understand it so I was wondering if anyone could put it simply?

Also the equation WF = H x F isn't given in the formula booklet - are we expected to remember this? Where does it come from?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need to get this sorted! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You need to realise that the energy of an incident photon = hf.

TF is the minimum frequency of the incident photon in order for photoelectric emission to take place, and you can only find this frequency if you knew the metals work function. Since the energy is transferred from the photon to the electron, the electron will need energy that is equal to the work function (or more) to escape from the surface. Therefore, the energy required per photon for photoelectric emission (WF)= H x (minimum frequency of incident photon).

The formula you have typed in is basically E=hf. Only that in this case E is the WF and F is the TF.

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avacado)
    Hi,

I've been revising Particle Physics and I'm struggling to understand the relationship between Work Function (WF) and Threshold Frequency (TF).

If I understand correctly, WF is the minimum energy to remove an electron from a metal, whereas the TF is the frequency of the light needed to do so.

How are these related? If I change one what happens to the other? It probably sounds really simple but it's giving me a headache trying to understand it so I was wondering if anyone could put it simply?

Also the equation WF = H x F isn't given in the formula booklet - are we expected to remember this? Where does it come from?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need to get this sorted! Thank you.
    E=hf is the fundamental formula..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.