Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nav_Mallhi)
    My mum rings me every single day without fail, sometimes even twice or thrice.
    When I lived in halls last year, I had issues with my phone at one point so couldn't ring her or answer her calls. She rang the accommodation office and demanded that the man went to my room to check I was okay. It was 12am. The man knocked and said "Ring your mother. She thinks you are dead."

I dread to imagine what would happen if I ever turned my phone off.
    That's not to bad I used to ring home everyday just to talk to my mum and dad but we are really close it was however just me in my room
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yep.

Just seen a lot of people talking about having accommodation cleaners that take their rubbish out, clean their kitchen and vacuum for them and do the bathrooms ect.
    We don't have cleaners in my uni accommodation. Sometimes I wish we did, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is obsessed with the society im in he constantly checks my phone whenever im at home, and sometimes he goes on their facebook page to see if im in any photos. Apart from that they are not so bad, but i ring them almost every day anyway, so if i didnt communicate for a few days they would think something is wrong.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Airmed)
    We don't have cleaners in my uni accommodation. Sometimes I wish we did, tbh.
    University-owned accommodation? What about communal / public areas?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jneill)
    University-owned accommodation? What about communal / public areas?
    The uni rent it out to a company. There is cleaners who clean the stairs every two months - and make it look worse. No idea if they clean the common room in the main office: I don't go there as it's ****.

ReputationRep:
    Wish my parents were helicopter parents. Not the suffocating kind but the kind that know how to closely watch over the direction of their kid and send it in the right one (direction).

ReputationRep:
    My housemate in second year. Her mum would phone her every day without fail (sometimes more). If she dare not answer she'd be inundated with texts of 'where are you?' 'Are you ok?' 'Why aren't you answering?'
    You know, because her daughter studying medicine at uni couldn't possibly be busy.

Then there's me. I haven't spoken to my parents over the phone since January and most of our contact is a random text every so often..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I know a relative who got accepted into Cambridge and his parents moved to a house in Cambridge so they can still live as a family (they thought that he would go out and drink alcohol/smoke if he lived in halls).
    Do't you have to live in halls in Cambridge my grandfarther did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Do't you have to live in halls in Cambridge my grandfarther did?
    No. Your grandfather probably studied there a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    No. Your grandfather probably studied there a long time ago
    well yeah the 1920's

ReputationRep:
    All this phoning - isn't uni what things like WhatsApp were made for? Perfect for the brief communication, the short video of you wouldn't believe the weather/drunks/what we're wearing for the Halloween party here at the moment etc. Though the evening we got a photo of the Accident and Emergency entrance sign and the single word "oops" was a bit different. We laughed, because obviously someone able to do that isn't in too much trouble, but when we forwarded it to others in the family thinking it was funny, THEY freaked.

Actually our offspring 'calls' every week because he plays the same online game with his dad and a couple of others one evening. That's the nicest way of staying in touch; when it's actually because you want to and share stuff. I feel kind of sorry for the parents - and kids - who don't want to. For me the payoff of all the slog I put in when my kids were growing up is when they get to the stage that you can go out and have a pint with them etc. Continuing to treat them as kids would be... utterly missing the point and the best part of parenthood.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nav_Mallhi)
    I wouldn't say she is paranoid, she just gets extremely worried. Uni was the first time I went away from home! She's still getting used to it even though I'm in my second year now. I completely understand where she is coming from though but sometimes it's a bit OTT. We usually end up having full blown conversations over the phone. She always wants to know how my day has been and what I did and what I learnt etc. She is genuinely fascinated at what I do.

Wow! Now that's crazy! Once a week! My mum could never do that.
    Cutest thing ever! Parents like that, are just the sweetest thing ever!

I'm glad my mother doesn't do this (after telling her to stop doing it as I felt suffocated). But your mamma is the cutest!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Thankfully, not.

I moved 3 hours away for uni. My parents called me every other weekend, which was enough. (when my phone worked :rolleyes: ) They then got Facebook because apparently, I didn't switch my phone on all the time. Pardon me for living somewhere with **** signal!

I'm now back in Plymouth where they live. I'm about 2 miles from them. I see them almost every weekend. They call me if they need to talk to me / they want something and I call them if I need their help / I want something. Dad did have this wonderful habit of dropping his car at the garage and deciding he'd turn up here to annoy me. He'd do it around lunch time; so I'd have to feed him as well.
    Typical dads!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    I do but I don't actually see the point of getting updates on a daily basis, unless something significant happened. Plus I reckon life will be pretty busy in halls plus uni work. But clearly from the variety of answers given in this thread, to each their own
    I 100%. Now I speak to my sister on a daily basis cause we're siblings but not about "how's your day?" more like "you wanna go see Beyonce?" or "Check this new trailer out?!" Like what, friends would do, rather than checking up on each other. We respect one another to say know we are both extremely busy and we can catch up when I'm home. But we always end up talking about something other than uni and (her work) cause we talk about our common interests.

Mother on the other hand, always gets annoyed if I told text once every 2/3 weeks. I'm just like - "If I'm dead, you'd know about it!" I've always figured I've have an elaborate death and not a boring one - but that's another story!
    But, I just like having low maintenance friends and family who doesn't want to know what I had for dinner and breakfast on a daily basis! Such a drag!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Do most student halls have cleaners or something?

Ours didn't and none of my friend's halls did either. But I always see people on here saying they had cleaners.
    2 unis that I went to had cleaners to clean communal areas and hallways. Sucks that you never! I couldn't imagine mopping a sticky floor after a heavy night out aha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    2 unis that I went to had cleaners to clean communal areas and hallways. Sucks that you never! I couldn't imagine mopping a sticky floor after a heavy night out aha!
    Eh, i don't see it that way. Our mess, our responsibility as far as I see it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Eh, i don't see it that way. Our mess, our responsibility as far as I see it.
    Its a service honey. Imma use what I pay for.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I cannot believe some of the replies on here. I hope my children don't grow up and have the same attitude. Your parents love and care for you that is why they want to know you are okay. You have time to come and post on here you have time to send one text. When you have kids of your own you will realise why your "annoying" parents are checking up on you. As for those that just ring when they want something I would be mortified if my kids treated me like that when they're older. They may seem annoying to you but it is because they care. Cherish the moments you have with them because they won't always be there. My mom used to annoy me with the constant where are you? Why are you not answering your phone? Are you okay? Please ring me I'm worried now. You may be thinking for god sake why are you so suffocating? When you have kids you will know why. You will understand the constant fear you have as a parent that something will happen to the thing you love the most. This world is a cruel and sometimes dangerous place to live in. One simple text of hey Mom how you doing, I'm fine can mean the world to a mother and it just shows that the love of their life is alive and well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dm5779)
    Wow I cannot believe some of the replies on here. I hope my children don't grow up and have the same attitude. Your parents love and care for you that is why they want to know you are okay. You have time to come and post on here you have time to send one text. When you have kids of your own you will realise why your "annoying" parents are checking up on you. As for those that just ring when they want something I would be mortified if my kids treated me like that when they're older. They may seem annoying to you but it is because they care. Cherish the moments you have with them because they won't always be there. My mom used to annoy me with the constant where are you? Why are you not answering your phone? Are you okay? Please ring me I'm worried now. You may be thinking for god sake why are you so suffocating? When you have kids you will know why. You will understand the constant fear you have as a parent that something will happen to the thing you love the most. This world is a cruel and sometimes dangerous place to live in. One simple text of hey Mom how you doing, I'm fine can mean the world to a mother and it just shows that the love of their life is alive and well.
    Oh, please. When you get to the stage your child is in their twenties and living independently, it's time to let go a bit and understand if they don't answer their phone, chances are they're busy.
    Also don't think it's very fair for a parent to take their anxieties out on their children. Fair enough if you haven't heard from them in ages, but bombarding them with messages after they miss one phone call? Nah. (Not saying you do / would, I'm referencing my friend's mum)

My parents mean the world to me. But thankfully they respect that I have a fairly busy life. If I don't answer the phone my mum isn't paranoid enough to automatically assume I'm dead (though if I can, I always text to say I'll ring when I'm free). I get a window of at least a few hours before she starts to worry.
    She did panic once and ring my boyfriend, but I hadn't been ignoring her, my phone had broken. I had sent her a message on Facebook but she'd not seen it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dm5779)
    This world is a cruel and sometimes dangerous place to live in.
    But 99.999% of the time, it isn't. Parents acting like the word is inevitably a cruel and dangerous place for their children, are in danger of raising a generation containing dependent sheep, who need constant nurturing and caring in order to negotiate their way round the world. When people are like that, they're easily manipulated by anyone offering them security or comfort. They don't think for themselves. On both a personal and national level, that is a disaster in the making. Why do you think Trump is winning support in the US? He's offering certainties which don't exist, to people who crave certainty.

I'm 52. What's happening to kids scares the hell out of me. Thankfully I at least have a sensible brother/sister-in-law and my teenage nephews are being raised to be self-reliant and capable of negotiating their way sensibly through the ups and downs of life, without the constant intervention of their parents. One is seventeen and heading off to America for training on adventure sport leadership. I'm guessing that many kids of helicopter parents won't have that sort of option open to them thanks to their upbringing, which is a crying shame.

Do the world a favour - wake up, grow up and let go. That your child doesn't feel the constant need to be in touch with you, is a measure of how well you've done your job as a parent. Your children are doing fine without you - you need to take that as a pat on the back, not as a sign that they've potentially been murdered in their beds or kidnapped by aliens.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.