Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    What the?
    Dear Queen-Bee,

Not that yeh speak for Arabs but yeh seem to be a little aware.

Tell us why are arab men are portrayed to be misogynistic/conservative types?

Is there any truth to their claims or are they no more so than the brits?

Kind regards,

Olde James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    Dear Queen-Bee,

Not that yeh speak for Arabs but yeh seem to be a little aware.

Tell us why are arab men are portrayed to be misogynistic/conservative types?

Is there any truth to their claims or are they no more so than the brits?

Kind regards,

Olde James
    Not a little,I am fully aware!

Arab countries,depending which one are strict and conservative because most people in the Arab world re religious anyway. But it's new to me that our men are completely misogynistic. I'm not denying that rapes do occur,just like they do here in the UK but it's not just a middle eastern issue

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you read a book called "A God Who Hates" by Wafa Sultan as brave a woman as you will ever come across .
    She will give you a better insight to the mentality of men in Arab culture towards women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunta ola kinte)
    Why assume she's telling the truth?
    Where's your compassion? Educate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    I suggest you read a book called "A God Who Hates" by Wafa Sultan as brave a woman as you will ever come across .
    She will give you a better insight to the mentality of men in Arab culture towards women.
    An incredibly insightful and disturbing read. Incredibly brave women of integrity and a highly sophisticated, educated mind. One of the most important books of the decade I think.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows. There are bad people in every community. But to make out like rape only happens in Arab countries alone is sickening
    Pitchforks go right through straw men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    You are lying through your teeth
    Under who's authority are you able to act like you know more about her country/region than she does?

I have lived in the Middle East too and yes, it IS racist to say that Arab men are all misogonistic/sex offenders. There were many who were nothing of the sort.

It's also ignorant to act as though the whole of the Middle East (a very diverse region) is the same. Wearing shorts in some countries would be a bad idea but in many others it's a non-issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    so ? My sister, for what its worth is an attractive lady and she did get more flirtatious behavior from men but no harassment.
    The point he is making is that these North African, Middle Eastern harrassers seem to specifically target white women, especially blonde, blue eyed, Northern European types. This phenomenon has been widely reported from the Rotherham abuse, the NYE Cologne attacks, to the rape epidemic in Sweden (it has gotten to the point in Sweden now where many blonde girls are dying their hair black to avoid being the victims of harrass and sexual abuse).

Just take a look at this video. Bear in mind this was filmed on a university campus in Cairo, not some backwater, hick town were you might expect this sort of behavoir.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember ever being raped in the Middle East ... Perhaps you can englighten me. I'm not denying that rapes occur but what people are saying on here comes across as racist
    Perhaps you should let an Algerian Moslem native speak then:

http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/...6694_3232.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    The point he is making is that these North African, Middle Eastern harrassers seem to specifically target white women, especially blonde, blue eyed, Northern European types. This phenomenon has been widely reported from the Rotherham abuse, the NYE Cologne attacks, to the rape epidemic in Sweden (it has gotten to the point in Sweden now where many blonde girls are dying their hair black to avoid being the victims of harrass and sexual abuse).

Just take a look at this video. Bear in mind this was filmed on a university campus in Cairo, not some backwater, hick town were you might expect this sort of behavoir.

Disgusting behaviour, what on Earth is wrong with some people?

That being said your attitude is also disgusting in claiming that it is White women who are specifically the victims of harassers from a certain region. First of all the woman in that video was wearing a hijab on her head, you cannot see her hair colour. Secondly you completely ignore the sexual abuse that some maids from third world countries have experienced by their employers in the Gulf and every other non-White woman who has faced harassment. You have no authority to speak about the subject unless you have been in the region for a significant amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    You have no authority to speak about the subject unless you have been in the region for a significant amount of time.
    So you don't think Queen-bee should voice her opinions either, as she has lived in Europe all her life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    So you don't think Queen-bee should voice her opinions either, as she has lived in Europe all her life?
    She is Middle Eastern, has been there and refers to it as a second home. I wonder what knowledge these other scholars of Middle Eastern studies on this thread have of the region.

ReputationRep:
    She is Middle Eastern, has been there and refers to it as a second home. I wonder what knowledge these other scholars of Middle Eastern studies on this thread have of the region.
    Don't be so naive. I bet some of the people speaking against her have more knowledge and time actually spent there. We've all been there, but nipping back and forth does not make it anything more than a metaphorical second home.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so naive. I bet some of the people speaking against her have more knowledge and time actually spent there. We've all been there, but nipping back and forth does not make it anything more than a metaphorical second home.
    I don't want to hear bets, I want to hear from them what their relation with the region is so that they may generalise an entire race of men as misogonistic rapists.

ReputationRep:
    She is Middle Eastern,
    She's actually Half German and Half Italian (Born in the UK)

I don't think going to the middle east in the occasional holiday counts as being an expert on Arab culture (and I can find posts of hers where she claims shes not an Arab)

But lest listen to a few experts as you say

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/03/0...ally-harassed/

'Sadly, justifications for doing so like “She was the one asking for it with her tight blouse and jeans” or “What am I supposed to do without any money to marry someone?” are still advocated and widely accepted by our society up to this day.'

http://egypt.unfpa.org/english/Stati...arassment.aspx

'Sexual harassment is a widespread and serious problem in Egypt, as the country ranks second in the world after Afghanistan in terms of this issue.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    She's actually Half German and Half Italian (Born in the UK)

I don't think going to the middle east in the occasional holiday counts as being an expert on Arab culture (and I can find posts of hers where she claims shes not an Arab)

But lest listen to a few experts as you say

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/03/0...ally-harassed/

'Sadly, justifications for doing so like “She was the one asking for it with her tight blouse and jeans” or “What am I supposed to do without any money to marry someone?” are still advocated and widely accepted by our society up to this day.'

http://egypt.unfpa.org/english/Stati...arassment.aspx

'Sexual harassment is a widespread and serious problem in Egypt, as the country ranks second in the world after Afghanistan in terms of this issue.'
    People's experiences of sexual harassment does not justify branding an entire race and sex offenders though, does it?

I don't deny that there is a problem in Egypt, but like I said the Middle East is a large and diverse region. Not all of the countries are the same and neither are all the men in every single country alike.

ReputationRep:
    People's experiences of sexual harassment does not justify branding an entire race and sex offenders though, does it?

I don't deny that there is a problem in Egypt, but like I said the Middle East is a large and diverse region. Not all of the countries are the same and neither are all the men in every single country alike.
    Show me where anyone has actually done that

All I can see is a lot of people saying to do so is wrong but can't see anyone actually doing it.

But to deny there is a problem with the second worst place in the world for sexual assault would of course be asinine to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to hear bets, I want to hear from them what their relation with the region is so that they may generalise an entire race of men as misogonistic rapists.
    What is your relation to the region? You wouldn't be hypocritically commenting about it without the links that you are arguing as necessary, would you?

Did you read the link I posted earlier? From a Moslem Algerian living there.

ReputationRep:
    What is your relation to the region? You wouldn't be hypocritically commenting about it without the links that you are arguing as necessary, would you?

Did you read the link I posted earlier? From a Moslem Algerian living there.
    Someone who spent most of her childhood living there and goes back to visit from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Show me where anyone has actually done that

All I can see is a lot of people saying to do so is wrong but can't see anyone actually doing it.

But to deny there is a problem with the second worst place in the world for sexual assault would of course be asinine to say the least.
    Read EccentricDiamond's posts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.