The Student Room Group

Lara Logan decides to speak about her attack in Tahrir Square

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
Read EccentricDiamond's posts.

You said

People's experiences of sexual harassment does not justify branding an entire race and[sic] sex offenders though, does it?
I can't see where he has done this
Original post by BaconandSauce
You said

People's experiences of sexual harassment does not justify branding an entire race and[sic] sex offenders though, does it?
I can't see where he has done this

Do you need to have it spelt out as "they are all sex offenders"? There are different ways of saying certain things, he said that it was typical of Arabs, which is the same thing.
Original post by WBZ144
Do you need to have it spelt out as "they are all sex offenders"? There are different ways of saying certain things, he said that it was typical of Arabs, which is the same thing.

If YOU have to spell it out for me then you're implying he's said something. This is not actually the same as him saying something

But I suppose you'll see what you want to see

I know 'Arad' culture has issues with Gender equality and Women's issues as well as other issues which I don't see why they can't be called out for or highlighted when appropriate.

But I think it's s shame on a thread about a women being raped we can't highlight these issues without the old tropes being thrown about.
Original post by BaconandSauce
If YOU have to spell it out for me then you're implying he's said something. This is not actually the same as him saying something

But I suppose you'll see what you want to see

I know 'Arad' culture has issues with Gender equality and Women's issues as well as other issues which I don't see why they can't be called out for or highlighted when appropriate.

But I think it's s shame on a thread about a women being raped we can't highlight these issues without the old tropes being thrown about.

His posts had nothing to do with gender inequality and you know it. But deny the obvious all you want.

A woman being raped does not justify generalising people from a vast, diverse region, nothing does.
Original post by WBZ144

A woman being raped does not justify generalising people from a vast, diverse region, nothing does.

Do you believe that a culture can be Patriarchal or chauvinistic? Lad culture, for example?
Original post by WBZ144
Disgusting behaviour, what on Earth is wrong with some people?

That being said your attitude is also disgusting in claiming that it is White women who are specifically the victims of harassers from a certain region. First of all the woman in that video was wearing a hijab on her head, you cannot see her hair colour. Secondly you completely ignore the sexual abuse that some maids from third world countries have experienced by their employers in the Gulf and every other non-White woman who has faced harassment. You have no authority to speak about the subject unless you have been in the region for a significant amount of time.

No authority, no authority is that all you have been trained to say.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Do you believe that a culture can be Patriarchal or chauvinistic? Lad culture, for example?

Of course it can, but nobody uses Lad culture to generalise the entire West or Western men.
Original post by EccentricDiamond
No authority, no authority is that all you have been trained to say.

Nothing that disproves my point, just as I thought.
Original post by WBZ144
Of course it can, but nobody uses Lad culture to generalise the entire West or Western men.

No, but lad culture doesn't dominate every aspect of western peoples lives. Nor is anyone saying every Middle-eastern man is a rapist.
Original post by WBZ144
First of all the woman in that video was wearing a hijab on her head, you cannot see her hair colour

Untitled-2.jpg

Are you sure? That looks remarkedly like hair to me. I may be wrong though. Regardless, it still does not bode particularly well for their society. It's not as if she is even dressed in a revealing manner, not that that would justify this behavoir at all.

Secondly you completely ignore the sexual abuse that some maids from third world countries have experienced by their employers in the Gulf and every other non-White woman who has faced harassment.

I do not ignore that. I am well aware of the hell many women face in these countries and have every sympathy for them. I was merely pointing out that in the recent migrant sex abuse scandals in Europe, blonde girls do appear to have been disproportionately targeted. I didn't say it to negate the abuse other women faced, not at all, I just think it is something worth noting and I would like to know why it may be the case. (I do have a few theories, but I won't get into them here).
Reply 90
Original post by WBZ144
She is Middle Eastern, has been there and refers to it as a second home. I wonder what knowledge these other scholars of Middle Eastern studies on this thread have of the region.

She has lived in some affluent areas in Lebanon and Dubai. It's hardly a real experience of what women endure in Arab countries.

Original post by WBZ144

Precisely, it's not "a" woman. There have been thousands and thousands of occurrences in the West and in Arab countries. When you compare with other cultures, say Chinese, the massive disproportion of rape occurrences within Arabo-Muslim cultures and communities becomes obvious.

I don't know why I bother with you as it seems your only concern is to deny the obvious.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 91
Egyptians are a joke, and to my fellow Arab Egyptians who are offended, good. Where i come from (also Arab) these things would never occur, you are beaten up for looking at a woman inappropriately.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
No, but lad culture doesn't dominate every aspect of western peoples lives. Nor is anyone saying every Middle-eastern man is a rapist.

And you do realise that not every country in the Middle East has the same culture, don't you?
Original post by Greenlaner
Untitled-2.jpg

Are you sure? That looks remarkedly like hair to me. I may be wrong though. Regardless, it still does not bode particularly well for their society. It's not as if she is even dressed in a revealing manner, not that that would justify this behavoir at all.

I do not ignore that. I am well aware of the hell many women face in these countries and have every sympathy for them. I was merely pointing out that in the recent migrant sex abuse scandals in Europe, blonde girls do appear to have been disproportionately targeted. I didn't say it to negate the abuse other women faced, not at all, I just think it is something worth noting and I would like to know why it may be the case. (I do have a few theories, but I won't get into them here).

That's obviously a hijab, doesn't look like hair at all, especially the part draped to her waist. It's even more apparent when you watch her walking. And even if she was dressed in a revealing manner the behaviour is just as terrible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
She has lived in some affluent areas in Lebanon and Dubai. It's hardly a real experience of what women endure in Arab countries.

Precisely, it's not "a" woman. There have been thousands and thousands of occurrences in the West and in Arab countries. When you compare with other cultures, say Chinese, the massive disproportion of rape occurrences within Arabo-Muslim cultures and communities becomes obvious.

I don't know why I bother with you as it seems your only concern is to deny the obvious.

I didn't ask you to bother with me. Nothing is going to make me generalise people from an entire race. But since you decided to start this, do tell me what is the "obvious".

Besides, how do you know where she has lived?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Greenlaner
The point he is making is that these North African, Middle Eastern harrassers seem to specifically target white women, especially blonde, blue eyed, Northern European types. This phenomenon has been widely reported from the Rotherham abuse, the NYE Cologne attacks, to the rape epidemic in Sweden (it has gotten to the point in Sweden now where many blonde girls are dying their hair black to avoid being the victims of harrass and sexual abuse).

Just take a look at this video. Bear in mind this was filmed on a university campus in Cairo, not some backwater, hick town were you might expect this sort of behavoir.

She's a celebrity
Original post by IESY
Egyptians are a joke, and to my fellow Arab Egyptians who are offended, good. Where i come from (also Arab) these things would never occur, you are beaten up for looking at a woman inappropriately.

So are you from the Gulf?
When a 14 year old Iraqi girl was gang raped and others were raped in prisons and camps, did people post the same this about British/US soldiers as they are about Arab men? Would that have been acceptable?

Don't use the harrowing experiences of rape victims as a blanket for your racism.
Reply 98
Original post by WBZ144
I didn't ask you to bother with me. Nothing is going to make me generalise people from an entire race. But since you decided to start this, do tell me what is the "obvious".

There is a culture of harassing women (sometimes only when they don't cover) in Muslim countries. Are even following the thread?

Original post by WBZ144
Besides, how do you know where she has lived?

She told it.
Reply 99
Original post by _icecream
So are you from the Gulf?

Nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending