Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are CV/Covering letter writing services worth the money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I apologise if this question has been asked countless times before, but I've tried to access the CV writing help section of this site, but it's blank.

I've been goggling resources, and the Telegraph (not my usual newspaper I might add!) has an official CV writing company linked to their 'Jobs' section, http://www.cv-writers.org.uk/high-impact-cv/.

Should I trust them and spend that amount of money on the service, or is the careers service at my old University, along with free resources online going to be equally as effective?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Christiandransfiel)
    Your University are going to be best. You shouldn't use anyone who a) isn't an employer themselves (and an employer of entry level posts - senior recruitment is quite different) and b) is selling you a 'product'. The problem with commercial outfits is that they usually try to sell you something that makes you happy. Sadly your pride in the look of your CV counts for nothing, it's a document for the employer and it needs to be written entirely with what the employer wants in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I apologise if this question has been asked countless times before, but I've tried to access the CV writing help section of this site, but it's blank.

I've been goggling resources, and the Telegraph (not my usual newspaper I might add!) has an official CV writing company linked to their 'Jobs' section, http://www.cv-writers.org.uk/high-impact-cv/.

Should I trust them and spend that amount of money on the service, or is the careers service at my old University, along with free resources online going to be equally as effective?
    The CV writing section of this website is blank because its private, so you can't see others CV's. You can however upload your CV.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Writing a good CV honestly isn't that hard. You can find some pretty good advice for free online (make sure the sites you're taking advice from are UK based, as conventions differ between countries). Don't be swayed by supposed "trends" or gimmicks, and the exact layout probably won't make or break things for you.

Is a there a reason you're considering paying for the service?

If you're struggling with the general layout, I usually go with name, then contact details (phone, email and postal address).

Straight after graduating, I'd then go with education- give your degree name and class and the university, then a brief description of the subject areas you covered, and possibly any relevant skills you developed. I then list my GCSEs and A-levels. I also mention that I have a driving license in this section if I think it might be relevant.

After education, I'd then go with any paid work experience you have, listing the most recent jobs first, with bullet points describing the role, my duties and the skills I used/developed and any relevant training. After this list any relevant unpaid work experience in the same way.

Paid for services have to justify their fees, and will rip your CV apart even if it's perfectly fine already. There's very little they can do to make you more employable unless your CV is really terrible, which honestly I doubt it is.

ReputationRep:
    It's a waste of money, google a template and start from there. Or use your university's career service or the national career service (I'm sure the latter would be more than happy to help).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.