Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,I hold offers both from Durham and Bristol for Msc Finance and Investment.My goal is to work in investment banking, I know that UCL, LSE, Imperial etc are better universities but I cannot afford their tuition fees.Having said that, which do you think is better to attain an occupation in IB between the two?

I would rather go to Durham because it is less expensive and offers international experiences in excellent universities all over the world for postgraduate too (dissertation abroad) but do you think its location (pretty far from London) would affect recruitment by important companies?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for MSc for Finance and Investment at Bristol but got rejected by Durham. So the choice was made for me. But with regard to your question I will try my best to answer.

Firstly, ranking is relatively subjective as the complete university guide ranks Durham better than Bristol by about 10 places (I think, youd have to check). But if you look at the QS world rankings Bristol is miles ahead of Durham. I believe Durham is in the 60's whereas Bristol is ranked 37th.

Second. I'm not too sure about living expenses, but Bristol shouldn't be too much more than Durham right? Tuition fees/living expenses. If your goal is to work in London afterwards then Bristol will obviously be easier with regard to going for interviews.

Regardless of which university you go to. What is probably more important is what you make out of the programme. Maybe look at the investment societies and see the links they have.

I also applied hold offers from Lancaster and Cass so I'm not yet decided either.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm doing a the finance and investment course at Bristol and wondering did any of use opt for that option? Would be nice to meet some people on the course before starting

Andrius

ReputationRep:
    I would say Durham personally

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.