Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why is a tertiary halogenoalkane or a tertiary organic compound in general more reactive than their secondary and primary compounds? My friends or my teacher told me it's something about the carbocation stability of the compound being highter when an atom is being substituted by an attacking nucleophile.

I don't quite understand how that is the case. Someone please explain plss

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieHero)
    Why is a tertiary halogenoalkane or a tertiary organic compound in general more reactive than their secondary and primary compounds? My friends or my teacher told me it's something about the carbocation stability of the compound being highter when an atom is being substituted by an attacking nucleophile.

thanks
    In reactions with halogenoalkane, an intermediate forms known as a carbocation which is a hydrocarbon where one of the carbon atoms has 3 bonds instead of 4 leaving it with a +ve charge. The more stable this carbocation is the more reactive the halogenoalkane is and is more likely to form a product thats associated with the carbocation. The stability of a carbocation depends on how many carbon chains are bonded to the carbon with a +ve charge. Why is it more stable? You don't need to know but its due to the inductive effect of the carbon chains attached which push electrons towards the +ve carbon atom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    In reactions with halogenoalkane, an intermediate forms known as a carbocation which is a hydrocarbon where one of the carbon atoms has 3 bonds instead of t leaving it with a +ve charge. The more stable this carbocation is the more reactive the halogenoalkane is and is more likely to form a product thats associated with the carbocation. The stability of a carbocation depends on how many carbon chains are bonded to the carbon with a +ve charge. Why is it more stable? You don't need to know but its due to the inductive effect of the carbon chains attached which push electrons towards the +ve carbon atom.
    It makes sense now thanks

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense now thanks
    Can i have some rep.. please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    Can i have some rep.. please
    Im new to these things but do I click the thumbs up?

ReputationRep:
    Im new to these things but do I click the thumbs up?
    yep but you can only rep someone once in like 12 hours

ReputationRep:
    oh ic :P

ReputationRep:

thanks
    As the number of alkyl groups on the base carbon increases so does the inductive effect of the alkyl groups attached (The "pushing" of electrons onto the base carbon) therefore the carbon will have more "electron pressure" on it - in this case the carbon has a halogen-carbon bond relieve some of this "electron pressure" by repelling the electron pair more onto the halogen. Making the carbocation more δ+ and therefore more likely to come under attack from nucleophiles.

At AS you don't really need to know about alkyl group's inductive effect but you do at A2 when you start learning about lone pair availability and benzene rings. (I'm doing AS+A2 at the same time, which is somewhat useful as you can cement the AS theory with A2 knowledge )

Further reading:
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...carbonium.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)
    As the number of alkyl groups on the base carbon increases so does the inductive effect of the alkyl groups attached (The "pushing" of electrons onto the base carbon) therefore the carbon will have more "electron pressure" on it - in this case the carbon has a halogen-carbon bond relieve some of this "electron pressure" by repelling the electron pair more onto the halogen. Making the carbocation more δ+ and therefore more likely to come under attack from nucleophiles.

At AS you don't really need to know about alkyl group's inductive effect but you do at A2 when you start learning about lone pair availability and benzene rings. (I'm doing AS+A2 at the same time, which is somewhat useful as you can cement the AS theory with A2 knowledge )

Further reading:
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...carbonium.html
    Very interesting. I might actually try to do A2 at the same time with physics and maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.