Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

old noble feminism vs modern day feminism Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Y'know who the world leader of feminism is today?....Amber f***ing Rose. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know about feminism today.
    Pretty sure there's not a world leader of feminism at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    'It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what' - Stephan Fry
    Top notch quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    Attachment 510463
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I don't know who on earth would decide to choose Amber Rose as an ambassador for women's rights, I think women like Emma Watson are much more suited as role models for women and therefore ambassadors.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh its probably actually Emma Watson. She's definitely the most famous feminist at the moment (lol'd when she said she was gonna take a year out of acting to be a full time feminist), but Amber Rose is a close second. That Slut Walk thing she did got her and "femininsm" a lot of publicity...though I did notice she did the Slut Walk right before she released her book. Coincedence?....I think not.

ReputationRep:
    Y'know who the world leader of feminism is today?....Amber f***ing Rose. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know about feminism today.

http://cdn.xonecole.com/wp-content/u...ster-Mag-3.jpg
    Wait... they have a leader..? I knew it! The matriarchy exists! There is a pope... I mean supreme leader... of the matriarchy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tbh its probably actually Emma Watson. She's definitely the most famous feminist at the moment (lol'd when she said she was gonna take a year out of acting to be a full time feminist), but Amber Rose is a close second. That Slut Walk thing she did got her and "femininsm" a lot of publicity...though I did notice she did the Slut Walk right before she released her book. Coincedence?....I think not.
    This is a key thing, I don't like the term "modern feminism" because it somehow implies that women's equality is a different thing now than it was before, equal is equal. It's the fact that there's a new wave of feminism which sort of goes beyond equality into some weird non-defined state of being, like women shouldn't be judged for being promiscuous, well they are going to be judged in the same way that I'd be judged, they look for new problems in society rather than try to fix the existing ones, and a lot of the time, most of it is just for publicity.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how people on TSR always pull up the extreme examples of feminism when denouncing our need for feminism at all, but refuse to look at the extremes of male behaviour (which would justify the extreme feminism if we're dealing in extremes).

In the real world we're dealing with everyday sexism and there's an everyday feminism to go with that. It's not all Tumblr people talking privilege. Modern feminists are still helping to fight for women to have the most basic of rights in certain countries/under certain regimes. They're working to make it more acceptable for boys to have an emotional side - boys don't cry, be a man, grow a pair - all these things affect the mental health of men and make women laughing stocks who shouldn't be taken seriously because they're emotional unlike the stoic men folk. We're in the midst of a mental health crisis and you can't deny that gender issues and what is expected of men and women often impacts mental wellbeing.
    it is the same with men's rights activists and that doesn't stop feminists calling them rape apologists.
    Feminists say they want to end violence against women then laugh when they get assaulted like what has happened to Lauren southern recently.
    There is also the disgraceful mp Jess Phillips who laughs at the suggestion men's issues should be talked about on international men's day, imagine if a mp laughed at the suggestion of discussing what could be done to end domestic violence against women.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.