The Student Room Group

how to get a better grade

So Its currently March and I am getting an E(close to a D) grade in A level Maths. can anyone give me tips and revision help for me to get a better grade in A level maths?? Thanks !
Reply 1
Original post by John Idris
So Its currently March and I am getting an E(close to a D) grade in A level Maths. can anyone give me tips and revision help for me to get a better grade in A level maths?? Thanks !

what was your AS breakdown?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
what was your AS breakdown?

what do you mean by an AS breakdown

Grades/UMS for your modules.
Reply 4

as in post 4
Reply 5
Original post by zetamcfc
Grades/UMS for your modules.

Well I'm in year 12 and haven't sat any actual exams, but I have still no clue on what you mean
Well I'm in year 12 and haven't sat any actual exams, but I have still no clue on what you mean

So you are doing AS, ok. Well, have you done mocks for Core 1, Core 2 and an applied module?
With maths, nothing can substitute for practicing past exam questions or any questions you can get your hands on for that matter. However, spend some time with your notes, a textbook or a revision guide (or better yet all of these) making sure that you understand the concepts and the methods. This will make calculations for harder questions a lot easier, as you can see which methods will work. Understnading will mean your note just learning the answers but can work your way through the problems independently :smile:

1. Do a past paper, if you lose more than 2 marks in any topics then you need to work in them (excluding silly mistakes like adding wrong or something***), and don't tell yourself "oh its just a hard question, nothing that hard will ever come up again", because if you get 3 "hard" questions on your paper then say goodbye to a good maths grade, if you lost marks at all its because you're not 100% with a topic.

2. go to examsolutions.com and watch the videos on that topic, making sure you pause the video and do ALL the questions, because your pretty much getting a full worked solution afterwards, which is invaluable tbh. Note: falling asleep at the computer doesn't count as watching the videos. Also check out TeeEms website, madasmaths.com, its got some very challenging questions

3. then go back to your past paper and look over any thing you got wrong, you should be able to do the questions now

4. If there still is something you don't understand post a thread on here, someone will explain it to you

5. repeat until you are getting 100% :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
didn't even know TeeEm had a website but it's more maths papers for me to do :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest