Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The path do getting 4 A's is to: go to private school, hire private tutors, engage in debate classes and attend problem solving lectures on a Sunday morning. I do all those things. I have disposable income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    which one? gatway a/b or 21st century?
    21st century

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vaughan-the-ox)
    The path do getting 4 A's is to: go to private school, hire private tutors, engage in debate classes and attend problem solving lectures on a Sunday morning. I do all those things. I have disposable income.
    What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    What's your point?
    Oh my jolly good chap I am glad you asked.

My point is that the best way to achieve such results is to have extensive financial options at your fingertips. Like myself. Vaughn has disposable income, that is why I will achieve 8 A*'s in my A levels.

Hope this aided you my good fellow.

ReputationRep:
    28/04/2016

Europa League night! Got back from school a bit late, I'm going to eat now and then do a chemistry past paper and some physics questions, then watch the match. Should hopefully be about 2.5 hours before the match starts.

Chemistry- Completed. Did a past paper, got 90% so pretty pleased. Took about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Additional Work- Done about 40 minutes so far of some maths and physics questions.

ReputationRep:
    29/04/2016

Really tired but got a fair bit of work to do tonight... Some chemistry notes and some Core 2 questions. I'm (hopefully) going to be doing a lot of work over the weekend, as it's now just 2 school weeks until the exam period really starts.

Maths- Completed. Did an hour of C2 questions.

Chemistry- Completed. Did the notes for my alkanes topic, and I was really pleased with my intensity of revision. It took me 40 minutes to do what would usually be 1 hour of work, and it was at the same if not better standard.

Physics (Additional)- Completed. Spend about 50 minutes finishing and marking a spec paper, which I thought went really well.

ReputationRep:
    30/04/2016

Wow, last day of April. As I've mentioned previously, it's really starting to feel like the exam season, and I'd like to think I'm cautiously excited. There is no panic (yet), and I feel like I'm fully in control of my situation, as in I can deal with anything that the exam paper throws at me, I'm not having to rely on a paper that luckily covers the things I'm strong in.

Today, I have already done a Core 1 paper, and I'm going to do some more Core 1 questions, finishing just before lunch. In the afternoon I'll probably maybe do some physics questions or make some physics/chemistry questions (this is a 'top tip', if you make questions using your knowledge and basing them off the specification, it is actually a form of revision). Then this evening I've got some more chemistry notes to do! I'm also going to try and go for a walk/bike ride, as I'm not too busy today.

Maths- Completed. Spent about 1 hour 45 minutes in total doing a C1 paper (74/75) and then some more questions.

Chemistry- Completed. Took me about 50 minutes to do the notes for my alkenes topic.

Chemistry (Additional)- Spent about 1.5 hours creating some questions in a past paper style, which I will answer tomorrow and write the markscheme for.

ReputationRep:
    01/05/2016

First day of what I hope will be a great month! Today I've got to a physics specimen paper to do, some french vocab, some physics notes and questions, some Core 2 questions and I'll probably do some extra chemistry to round things off!

Physics- Completed. Done 3.5 hours on a specimen paper, some notes, and some questions.

Maths- Completed. Did an hour of Core 2 questions.

French- Completed. Did a quick bit of vocab.

ReputationRep:
    02/05/2016

Waking up this morning and not having school was such a nice feeling! However, I do still have quite a lot of work to do today. This morning I think I'll spend about 2 hours doing some additional chemistry (making questions). After lunch, I've got some physics notes and questions to do, Then throughout late afternoon and evening I have up to 2 hours of french homework to do.

Chemistry (Additional)- Completed. 2 hours of making questions to do later (or for anyone else) and then importing them to my laptop.

Physics- Completed. Did about 2 hours of notes and questions on quantum physics.

French- Completed. Did all my homework except 1 short essay to give me something to do in a study period.

ReputationRep:
    01/05/2016

First day of what I hope will be a great month! Today I've got to a physics specimen paper to do, some french vocab, some physics notes and questions, some Core 2 questions and I'll probably do some extra chemistry to round things off!

Physics- Completed. Done 3.5 hours on a specimen paper, some notes, and some questions.

Maths- Completed. Did an hour of Core 2 questions.

French- Completed. Did a quick bit of vocab.
    Hey, did you find the specimen papers difficult? And how are you revising practical skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dysprosium)
    Hey, did you find the specimen papers difficult? And how are you revising practical skills?
    OCR A?

ReputationRep:
    OCR A?
    ahh my bad, AQA but still...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dysprosium)
    ahh my bad, AQA but still...
    it was tricky, especially the multiple choice on ours

ReputationRep:
    How are you assessed in french, and which A level do you find easiest and most enjoyable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    How are you assessed in french, and which A level do you find easiest and most enjoyable?
    I'm assessed 30% oral, and 70% in a writing, reading and listening exam.

Easiest is probably maths, and my most enjoyable is probably chemistry. Having said that, I 'like' all of my A levels, it's just that first year physics isn't as good as the second year (half of the first year is just mechanics really- urgh). However our second part (waves, electricity and quantum physics) is much more interesting and actually feels like 'proper' physics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assessed 30% oral, and 70% in a writing, reading and listening exam.

Easiest is probably maths, and my most enjoyable is probably chemistry. Having said that, I 'like' all of my A levels, it's just that first year physics isn't as good as the second year (half of the first year is just mechanics really- urgh). However our second part (waves, electricity and quantum physics) is much more interesting and actually feels like 'proper' physics.
    I see. Yeah I have noticed that in some textbooks. I have read books on the interesting physics, and it's nothing to do with mechanics most of the time LOL. But yeah as you said, A2 physics looks a lot more appealing.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Yeah I have noticed that in some textbooks. I have read books on the interesting physics, and it's nothing to do with mechanics most of the time LOL. But yeah as you said, A2 physics looks a lot more appealing.
    Are you still nailed on for maths/further maths/chemistry/physics I believe?

ReputationRep:
    Are you still nailed on for maths/further maths/chemistry/physics I believe?
    Yep! That is unless I swap chemistry for either economics or computer science. But yeah I will be doing double maths and physics for sure

ReputationRep:
    Yep! That is unless I swap chemistry for either economics or computer science. But yeah I will be doing double maths and physics for sure
    Assuming you want to do physics at university, I'd say do chemistry. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're interested in taking economics or computer science because you're thinking about careers in those things?

Almost all of the time, no finance company will care whether or not you did economics A-level, they want someone with good analytical and mathematical skills who is a 'winner'.

Do you know which exam board you'd be doing for chemistry? I really recommend it, provided that you know you will work hard at it, and get an A* or very high A at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you want to do physics at university, I'd say do chemistry. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're interested in taking economics or computer science because you're thinking about careers in those things?

Almost all of the time, no finance company will care whether or not you did economics A-level, they want someone with good analytical and mathematical skills who is a 'winner'.

Do you know which exam board you'd be doing for chemistry? I really recommend it, provided that you know you will work hard at it, and get an A* or very high A at GCSE.
    Thanks for the advice! I am planning to do physics at university, and the only reason I'm considering comp-sci/economics is because I have a sixth form offer from King's College London Mathematics School, which apart form maths f. maths and physics, only offer a fourth AS in comp-sci and economics. I've also got an offer from Harris-Westminster sixth form, where I'd definitely be studying chemistry, which is my I'm heading towards there. Since I wont be doing a finance degree, I wont need economics A level, since my physics degree will prove I am mathematically able if i decide to go into finance somehow, so I agree with you there. I'm not entirely sure about the exam board, I believe it's one of ocr, edexcel, or AQA, cant quite remember Thanks again for your advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.