Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Israel or ISIS a greater threat to world peace? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconfusedman)
    You're deluded.
    Whatever your opinion of Israel is, saying they are as bad as ISIS is clearly ridiculous.

Come on, in what way is one of the only stable democracies in the Middle East even remotely comparable to the barbaric terrorist organisation that is ISIS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    Whatever your opinion of Israel is, saying they are as bad as ISIS is clearly ridiculous.

Come on, in what way is one of the only stable democracies in the Middle East even remotely comparable to the barbaric terrorist organisation that is ISIS?
    i like how he said 'the israelis', didnt even bother with 'israel'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)

Saying 'stable' may be right in terms of economic stability, but in terms of international relations, it is not even close to stable. It has broken UN regulations (making it comparable to North Korea), has nuclear weapons and has taken land from the Palestinians which the west have turned a blind eye to.

ISIS are slowly reducing in strength and size, and dont pose as much of a long term threat as Israel, who we choose to recognise as a state.

Whilst we can disagree with this, its no doubt that both ISIS and tensions in Israel started from the military funding that the USA gave to middle eastern states (particularly to Israel). the USA are the real criminals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconfusedman)
    ISIS are slowly reducing in strength and size, and dont pose as much of a long term threat as Israel, who we choose to recognise as a state.
    They are gradually losing territory, but I think it's a bit early to say they won't be a long term threat. There is a good chance that if they lose control of their strongholds that they'll revert back to an insurgency, with massacres and hit and run attacks taking place. A bit like the Taliban, who went back to insurgency after they were removed from power and continue to pose some threat.

These sort of attacks have already happened in areas held by the YPG in Syria, with a mass shooting at Kobane last year (around the time that the YPG captured Tall Abyad from ISIS) and a recent attack at Tall Abyad and some of the surrounding villages. Insurgency attacks well behind the front lines. So that possibility isn't me making up unrealistic conspiracy theories.

That's before we get onto their overseas expansion. They may be defeated in one country but they can turn up somewhere else - like their recent expansion in Libya.

And with Israel, diplomacy is an option - the success of that sort of thing really depends on which governments are in power in Israel and their allies. It is 100% not an option with groups like ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    ISIS for obvious reasons. I'm Muslim btw.

ReputationRep:
    Israel; by far
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Israel obviously. Worst terrorists to walk on this planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metalfros)
    Israel obviously. Worst terrorists to walk on this planet.
    Are you Muslim?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 098udf89dsf)
    Are you Muslim?
    Are you a zionist?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a zionist?
    Erm, why can't you answer my question?

How do you define a "zionist"? Once you clarify this I will be happy to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Why are we all seemingly only worried about what's going on in the Middle East, North Korea is the biggest threat to world peace by far for many years to come

ReputationRep:
    While Israel behaves appallingly at times and routinely breaks international law, anyone who thinks they're as bad as an army of child rapists who behead, crucify and enslave people along with throwing gays off buildings needs a serious reality check.

The Palestinians aren't blameless either, what do they expect to happen when they fire rockets indiscriminately at their heavily armed neighbor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    Why are we all seemingly only worried about what's going on in the Middle East, North Korea is the biggest threat to world peace by far for many years to come
    North Korea do not kill citizens in the West.

(Original post by JamesN88)
    The Palestinians aren't blameless either, what do they expect to happen when they fire rockets indiscriminately at their heavily armed neighbor?
    What would you do if you were under a brutal occupation, as your family had been, and subject to a complete lack of privacy, opportunity, autonomy, and devastating aerial raids every two years, periodically resulting in the death/arrest of several family members?

ReputationRep:
    North Korea do not kill citizens in the West
    They attempted to bomb the USA a few years back and are launching missiles a lot more often now, all it takes is one bomb to land in another country

ReputationRep:
    few million Israelis have more power than a billion muslims. Which is pretty amazing.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea do not kill citizens in the West.

What would you do if you were under a brutal occupation, as your family had been, and subject to a complete lack of privacy, opportunity, autonomy, and devastating aerial raids every two years, periodically resulting in the death/arrest of several family members?
    I wouldn't start a conventional war that I had no hope of winning, which Hamas did to garner international sympathy. Neither side are going anywhere and the situation won't be resolved while extremists are running both camps.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Erm, why can't you answer my question?

How do you define a "zionist"? Once you clarify this I will be happy to answer.
    Don't act like you are stupid, you damn well know what a zionist is and what Israel does. I won't waste much time on people like you, but I just have to say this. I admit that Hamas is a terrorist organisation and has to be stopped before peace between Palestine and Israel is possible. But the main reason they exist is that they took Palestinean land (THE UN SAID SO) and are killing innocent civillians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    They attempted to bomb the USA a few years back
    Source?

USA ≠ Europe, regardless.

and are launching missiles a lot more often now
    Most countries in the world conduct missile tests. So?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I wouldn't
    I didn't ask what you wouldn't do. Please try again.

Obviously neither of us can fathom the extreme desperation that the brutal decades-long occupation of Palestinian land can have on those raised in such lands. The desperation that can only be exacerbated by the humiliating realities of living under occupation, and seeing your friends and family around you killed by Israeli bombs raining down from the sky every two-years, with your plight ignored by the world.

Don't act like you are stupid, you damn well know what a zionist is and what Israel does.
    Asking what you mean by "zionist" is a legitimate question.

You could mean anyone that supports the existence of Israel is a "zionist". Or, you could use it as a vague slur without being able to define it - like I suspect you have.

You still haven't answered my question (are you a Muslim), but I think I can infer that from your posts at this point.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I didn't ask what you wouldn't do. Please try again.

Obviously neither of us can fathom the extreme desperation that the brutal decades-long occupation of Palestinian land can have on those raised in such lands. The desperation that can only be exacerbated by the humiliating realities of living under occupation, and seeing your friends and family around you killed by Israeli bombs raining down from the sky every two-years, with your plight ignored by the world.

Asking what you mean by "zionist" is a legitimate question.

You could mean anyone that supports the existence of Israel is a "zionist". Or, you could use it as a vague slur without being able to define it - like I suspect you have.

You still haven't answered my question (are you a Muslim), but I think I can infer that from your posts at this point.
    Sorry, I can sometimes become a little emotional about this subject. The answer to you question is yes. Just for the record, I do recognise Israel as a state. I am just one of the few people that is for a 2 state solution.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.