The Student Room Group

I got into uni at 17! AMA

Scroll to see replies

I will be going to uni at 17 because we finish school a year early in Scotland. :h:
Do you feel like you missed out on things because of your age? Did it put you at a disadvantage socially because everyone else could drink etc and you could not legally?
Reply 21
Original post by quasa
go for it!!!, you have nothing to lose. In my case ,I was fortunate as due to admin I was put up a year by accident but kept with it. I turned 18 around freshers week in first year so evwen though I started freshers as a 17, I spent most of the year as a 18 year old. when I graduated, I was like 3 months from turning 22.

I just might. Wow that's really lucky! I guess it was meant to be. That was really handy so you didn't really miss out on anything. I didn't turn 18 til April so I basically missed out on everything in my first year! Not too bad...I'll be graduating when I'm 20 so I might as well do my masters
Reply 22
Original post by punkroses
I will be going to uni at 17 because we finish school a year early in Scotland. :h:
Do you feel like you missed out on things because of your age? Did it put you at a disadvantage socially because everyone else could drink etc and you could not legally?

Aw you're in the same boat that I was in. Yeah it was HORRIBLE! I was in my room all the time cos my housemates would go out every night and drink and I couldn't. I couldn't even go to some uni events, it really was torture and I was depressed all the time. But when I did turn 18 and could go out, uni was over. But not to make you sad or anything, your experience might be different:biggrin:
Original post by MissOvoxo
I'm 18 :smile:

Cool.:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Airmed
Did you find it difficult going to uni and being younger than everyone else? I know the feeling myself: I've skipped first year so I'm the youngest in my year.

It was horrible! I honestly had the worst first year experience and wouldn't advise anyone under 18 to go to uni unless you turn 18 in the ember months or early spring. I just felt babied and I couldn't do anything or go anywhere. Guys kept calling me jailbait as well ugh! I don't want to relive it tbh. How did you manage that? You must be really smart!
Aw you're in the same boat that I was in. Yeah it was HORRIBLE! I was in my room all the time cos my housemates would go out every night and drink and I couldn't. I couldn't even go to some uni events, it really was torture and I was depressed all the time. But when I did turn 18 and could go out, uni was over. But not to make you sad or anything, your experience might be different:biggrin:

Hahaha I thought that might be the case! I think I'd get bored in a gap year though so I probably will just go to university when I'm 17, I GUESS I will have to deal with it haha. Thanks for the reply. :h:
Reply 26
It was horrible! I honestly had the worst first year experience and wouldn't advise anyone under 18 to go to uni unless you turn 18 in the ember months or early spring. I just felt babied and I couldn't do anything or go anywhere. Guys kept calling me jailbait as well ugh! I don't want to relive it tbh. How did you manage that? You must be really smart!

Sounds horrible. I don't know anyone in my year since they've all been friends for a year and I don't drink due to personal reasons so I've not had the typical uni experience.
I go to uni in Scotland and in some course you can go straight into second year. I had good A levels so I thought why not?
Reply 27
Original post by punkroses
Hahaha I thought that might be the case! I think I'd get bored in a gap year though so I probably will just go to university when I'm 17, I GUESS I will have to deal with it haha. Thanks for the reply. :h:

I wouldn't recommend a gap year either lol! You'll be fine and I'm sure you''l have a great time! Wish you the best. No worries :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Airmed
Sounds horrible. I don't know anyone in my year since they've all been friends for a year and I don't drink due to personal reasons so I've not had the typical uni experience.
I go to uni in Scotland and in some course you can go straight into second year. I had good A levels so I thought why not?

Yeah I get what you mean I transferred into second year last year and everyone is grouped up. You're not alone, trust me! Oh I never knew that, that's really good then. Yay to being thrown into the world of work a few years earlier:h:
Ask me anything!

I know youuuuuuu
Ask me anything!

how?
Reply 31
Original post by Black Cat
I know youuuuuuu

I know youuuuu too! I'll send you a message now!:biggrin:
Reply 32
Great well done but why MMU?