The Student Room Group

Tips to enhance medicine applications/Entry 2017

I'm currently studying for my AS levels in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History and am aspiring to go to university to do medicine.
Obviously grades are not enough to get in so I was wondering what sorts of things I could do during summer/spare-time to make me a suitable applicant for medicine.
I've arranged work experience in a hospital and applied for some summer schools (which I doubt I'll get in to), but I'm not sure what else would make me stand out.
Also anyone know any good books I should read to expand my knowledge around medicine?
Thank you!!! :smile:
Long term volunteering in a healthcare setting looks impressive.
Reply 2
Original post by ginadomenica
I'm currently studying for my AS levels in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History and am aspiring to go to university to do medicine.
Obviously grades are not enough to get in so I was wondering what sorts of things I could do during summer/spare-time to make me a suitable applicant for medicine.
I've arranged work experience in a hospital and applied for some summer schools (which I doubt I'll get in to), but I'm not sure what else would make me stand out.
Also anyone know any good books I should read to expand my knowledge around medicine?
Thank you!!! :smile:

I applied for med entry this year and I didn't get into any summer schools either but I don't think it matters so don't worry too much about that. Voluntary work in a hospital, work experience and a teamwork volunteering (like fundraising) or sport should be enough :smile:
Books: bad science, trust me i'm a junior doctor (there's 3 books in the series), do no harm and you should probs keep up to date with bbc health when you start applying
Original post by Azula
I applied for med entry this year and I didn't get into any summer schools either but I don't think it matters so don't worry too much about that. Voluntary work in a hospital, work experience and a teamwork volunteering (like fundraising) or sport should be enough :smile:
Books: bad science, trust me i'm a junior doctor (there's 3 books in the series), do no harm and you should probs keep up to date with bbc health when you start applying

Ahh thank you!! I'll definitely have to read those books and love the tip about keeping up to date with BBC health!
With volunteering in a hospital, would it be best to ring/email or go in and ask directly?
Reply 4
I looked for instances where they were offering placements and you had to do a CV and the you would apply for the placement in regards to work experience. In terms of books Oliver Sacks and Atul Gwande are both good authors to read. Also watch the Reith lectures as they are quite interesting
Original post by Jehaan
I looked for instances where they were offering placements and you had to do a CV and the you would apply for the placement in regards to work experience. In terms of books Oliver Sacks and Atul Gwande are both good authors to read. Also watch the Reith lectures as they are quite interesting

Thank you! It's quite difficult as I live in a small town not near to many major cities so it's hard to know if i'll get a look in!
Thank you! It's quite difficult as I live in a small town not near to many major cities so it's hard to know if i'll get a look in!

Try and get involved in a research project, even if it's at school.
Like a long term research project about anything, doesn't have to medical related but has to be science related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ahh thank you!! I'll definitely have to read those books and love the tip about keeping up to date with BBC health!
With volunteering in a hospital, would it be best to ring/email or go in and ask directly?

I never actually got to finish any of those book HAHA
I went directly because I had to fill in an application form, then I had an interview, and then I went to get an ID card and t-shirt
Hm! Care home (3 days)*
'So do you want to be a doctor event' (1 day)
I did volunteering for my local MP (once a week for a month)
Tutored children from my school to improve their literacy skills ( once a week for 3 weeks)
- took part in something called the Brilliant club (one month)
And yeah like you said grades aren't everything- I managed to get the offer and that's pretty much all I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

I know the feeling! I managed to get work experience in my local hospital and one in Oxford that isn't too far away from me as I just took the bus which yes meant that I spent an hour on the bus but also meant that I could get more work experience
Original post by spiritless98
Hm! Care home (3 days)*
'So do you want to be a doctor event' (1 day)
I did volunteering for my local MP (once a week for a month)
Tutored children from my school to improve their literacy skills ( once a week for 3 weeks)
- took part in something called the Brilliant club (one month)
And yeah like you said grades aren't everything- I managed to get the offer and that's pretty much all I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! The 'So do you want to be a doctor event' sounds really interesting so I'll look into that! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest