Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...does your reference have to be an academic one? I graduated 2 years ago so my old dissertation supervisor can barely remember who I am, and she has completely ignored an email I sent to her asking if she can write a reference for me. However, my boss at my waitressing job has happily volunteered to write a reference for me. Is it appropriate to give that kind of reference, or should I just let the uni contact my dissertation supervisor instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Sheep)
    ...does your reference have to be an academic one? I graduated 2 years ago so my old dissertation supervisor can barely remember who I am, and she has completely ignored an email I sent to her asking if she can write a reference for me. However, my boss at my waitressing job has happily volunteered to write a reference for me. Is it appropriate to give that kind of reference, or should I just let the uni contact my dissertation supervisor instead?
    Some unis will allow 1 academic and 1 from work.

Best ask admissions directly they won't judge you for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Sheep)
    Only your target uni can tell you, so you need to ask.

However it would be unlikely that you could get into a Masters using a reference from a waitressing job. Your undergrad uni should be able to write a generic one from your student record - try emailing your department's Admin person, or phone their general enquiries line and ask who to contact about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.