Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been round surrey today and I really enjoyed it. However I am concerned by the fact it is not a Russell group uni. I really want somewhere with good research and have good connections to large financial firms. Exeter seems to have the research quality but surrey has work placement with financial firms in London.

Do larger firms come to Exeter because it is Russell group and are the lecturers better at Exeter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, higher quality research does not equal connections to private sector. Surrey turned down RG status, and many other great unis like Bath and St Andrews are not in it either. There are quite a few sub par RG unis, who fall outside top 20 a lot. Don't let that define your decision. Both are good universities, I go to Surrey; a lot of us are going off to IBs, the big 4, magic circle law firms etc.

Exeter being a semi-target though, means some IBs will visit campus if that's the avenue you want to go down. This doesn't happen for Surrey, but I went to a lot of networking events, being so close to London, it didn't really matter too much. I think it helped make me stand out. For Big 4 and law firms though, both are target unis.

Lecturers are subjective. Not many have attended both Exeter and Surrey, and it's also down to preference. For the Economics department, we have some lecturers who are visiting fellows of LSE/UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Whether firms visit your campus or not shouldn't affect your choice - i think you just need to be proactive when the time comes

ReputationRep:
    I would pick Exeter on reputation alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathrg26)
    Firstly, higher quality research does not equal connections to private sector. Surrey turned down RG status, and many other great unis like Bath and St Andrews are not in it either. There are quite a few sub par RG unis, who fall outside top 20 a lot. Don't let that define your decision. Both are good universities, I go to Surrey; a lot of us are going off to IBs, the big 4, magic circle law firms etc.

Exeter being a semi-target though, means some IBs will visit campus if that's the avenue you want to go down. This doesn't happen for Surrey, but I went to a lot of networking events, being so close to London, it didn't really matter too much. I think it helped make me stand out. For Big 4 and law firms though, both are target unis.

Lecturers are subjective. Not many have attended both Exeter and Surrey, and it's also down to preference. For the Economics department, we have some lecturers who are visiting fellows of LSE/UCL.
    Blatant lie. Do you have a source for this claim? Makes no sense for Surrey to get an invitation when better unis for research haven't been.

Surrey has terrible research, poor GPA score of only 2.98 and not in the top 35 for research power (which is what RG membership is mostly based on).

And considering the Big 4 literally visit pretty much every uni, it really doesnt mean much for Surrey to be 'targeted' in that aspect. And I really doubt that magic-circle firms would target Surrey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I would pick Exeter on reputation alone
    Yeah that was my gut feeling as well. Firmed Exeter.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.