Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj2152)
    Go on the Physics Maths Tutor site and you'll be able to find it under the OCR A Chem Papers from 2015.

Posted from TSR Mobile I
    I meant practice paper couldn't find it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noname122344728)
    I meant practice paper couldn't find it anywhere
    someone defo put it on this thread or one of the chemistry related ones cos I remember seeing it But I don't have a copy cos I did it as a mock at school

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Can a hydrocarbon be aliphatic and alicyclic? An example please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noname122344728)
    Hey guys anyone got specimen paper 1 second set haven't tried it yet would be great if I try it b4 exam even though it's bredth and I should've done it b4 xd
    Go back a few pages, you'll find the depth practice paper if that's of any use to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the grade boundaries for chemistry are likely to be higher than biology, cos the breadth paper was quite easy. I am guessing 105/140 for an A for chem and 98-100/140 for bio.
    good luck guys, hope the exam goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxsciencemathsxX)
    Hi!

any alicyclic hydrocarbon is also alyphatic, unless there's a benzene ring, in which case it's neither, it's aromatic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxsciencemathsxX)
    Hi!

Yes. The definition of alicyclic is an aliphatic compound arranged in non-aromatic rings with or without side chains.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Help please.png
Views: 201
Size:  59.9 KB Hi guys. I would really appreciate a bit of help with this question. PART b (iii) ! It's on Hess's law. Here's what the markscheme says:
    (+)2801 (1 mark)

+ (−)394 × 6 + (−)286 × 6 OR (–)4080 (1 mark)

−1279 (1 mark)

I got -4080 + Hf = -2801 so therefore Hf = +1279 but the markscheme got a negative number. Where did I go wrong? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Aliphatic is everything but the benzene rings
    alicyclic is the rings only but the benzene rings
    aromatic is just the benzene rings
    if that makes sense cos that is how i remember it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    someone defo put it on this thread or one of the chemistry related ones cos I remember seeing it But I don't have a copy cos I did it as a mock at school
    K thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zachy24)
Size:  59.9 KB Hi guys. I would really appreciate a bit of help with this question. PART b (iii) ! It's on Hess's law. Here's what the markscheme says:
    (+)2801 (1 mark)

−1279 (1 mark)

I got -4080 + Hf = -2801 so therefore Hf = +1279 but the markscheme got a negative number. Where did I go wrong? Thank you!
    When you have enthalpy change of combustion, it is reactants-products to get enthalpy change of formation. That's why it is negative.

(Original post by Zachy24)
    (+)2801 (1 mark)

−1279 (1 mark)

Because the values are in combustion, you should do:

Reactants - products

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    Too big for TSR https://encodable.com/uploaddemo/

Cheat and I'll find you
    Heya, is it possible if you could post the mark scheme

Predictions:

Maths= Ideal gas equation, atom economy+ percentage yield, more acid base titration questions or mole questions, Hess law or bond enthalpy (or both!)

Content: Definitely reaction mechanisms (possibly 2/3 will be tested purely because none of them appeared on Breadth), Boltzmann distribution, Ozone depletion, first ionisation energy, group 2 elements + halogens, Alkanes and alkenes (including the bond between them and general description), Quickfuit apparatus for reflux process (practical), titration (practical), combustion of alcohols or oxidation of alcohols, more balanced equations, isomers and stereoisomers...

Possible 6 markers;
    -Reaction mechanisms or hydration+dehydration
    - oxidation of alcohols
    - Titration or Quickfit apparatus
    -Mass spectrum
    - Different types of bonding and explaining their melting and boiling points, electrical conductivity (metallic, ionic, covalent)

ReputationRep:
    My predictions for the exam:

6 Markers:
    • Organic compound identification (via IR & Mass Spec graphs).
    • Planning a titration (including preparing a standard solution: maybe a 4 marker on a standard solution if not).
    • BONDING (If you haven't revised Bonding, panic because it will come up, maybe not a 6 marker but it WILL come up)

Possible 4 Markers:
    • Anomalous properties of water
    • Making a standard solution

& Titration Calculations! (yay!)

ReputationRep:
    I do not think there would be a 6 marker on dynamic equilibrium cos it came up on the breadth

ReputationRep:
    Anomalous properties of water
    - Ice is less dense than liquid water. The molecules of H2O are held together in a lattice by hydrogen bonds.

ReputationRep:
    you also need to know a couple of definitions. they are usually worth 2 marks. but the mark scheme is specific with these definitions, so it is best to learn them off by heart. the spec has got details about which definitions are required.
    standard enthalpy change is needed ........................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bahcaci)
    My predictions for the exam:

6 Markers:
    • Organic compound identification (via IR & Mass Spec graphs).
    • Planning a titration (including preparing a standard solution: maybe a 4 marker on a standard solution if not).
    • BONDING (If you haven't revised Bonding, panic because it will come up, maybe not a 6 marker but it WILL come up)

Possible 4 Markers:
    • Anomalous properties of water
    • Making a standard solution

& Titration Calculations! (yay!)
    Don't forget about periodicity and ionisation energy trends. I don't remember those coming up in the breadth as well, weirdly enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OCR are defo gonna be quite heavy on organic chemistry, so my advice is you spend more time on it, and it is the harder part of chemistry I reckon

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.