Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    You knows the grade boundaries for the ho32/01 specimen papers ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scareface901210)
    You knows the grade boundaries for the ho32/01 specimen papers ??
    They don't have grade boundaries as grade boundaries are reliant on the candidates who sat the exam (eg how well people did) and therefore as no one has done them it's difficult to set boundaries. But if you wanted a rough estimate which I like to set high it :
    80% - A
    70% - B
    60% - C

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What sort of questions do you think they'll ask about the practicals? For instance do you think they'll be a 6 marker on explaining the method or just small 2 markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skittles17)
    What sort of questions do you think they'll ask about the practicals? For instance do you think they'll be a 6 marker on explaining the method or just small 2 markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm actually getting confused about the breadth and depth practical questions so, this might be wrong but, I dunno, they might ask something about the apparatus and ask you to explain the limitations in a scenario.

I don't think that they'll ask for the whole method in the breadth exam, although they might do that in the depth. It might just be 2-3 markers asking the reasons or what you could do to measure something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    I'm actually getting confused about the breadth and depth practical questions so, this might be wrong but, I dunno, they might ask something about the apparatus and ask you to explain the limitations in a scenario.

I don't think that they'll ask for the whole method in the breadth exam, although they might do that in the depth. It might just be 2-3 markers asking the reasons or what you could do to measure something.
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    With our first exam right around the corner I will be Tring to help as much as possible so just ask any question and I'll get back to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When you do q=mcΔT

For ΔT do you do the highest temperature- initial temperature
    or do you do final temperature- initial temperature?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the new practice papers that OCR have released????

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a summary of each of the practicals that we could be tested on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patmccarthy)
    Does anyone have a summary of each of the practicals that we could be tested on?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463842218.703751.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463842145.253459.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  144.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463842158.073852.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  136.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463842170.793266.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  133.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463842183.116522.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  117.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!)
    For those who haven't had access to the second set of practice papers:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...U0&usp=sharing

Enjoy!
    Thank you so so much!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!)
    For those who haven't had access to the second set of practice papers:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...U0&usp=sharing

Enjoy!
    That's great as lots of people have been asking for these. Just wondering if anyone wants me to do some model answers for both papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    That's great as lots of people have been asking for these. Just wondering if anyone wants me to do some model answers for both papers?
    That would be really helpful thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentet)
    That would be really helpful thank you!
    Okay, I'll get them done over the next two days. Will post the first one tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I got 56 in the breadth paper (the public specimen one). Is that a good score? Because I have no clue I failed at the multi choice though getting 12/20 right!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any really hard practice maths questions for chemistry? They're upping the ante on maths this year apparently, so I was wondering if anyone has any practice stuff that I could attempt. (Answers too, if possible.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    Does anyone have any really hard practice maths questions for chemistry? They're upping the ante on maths this year apparently, so I was wondering if anyone has any practice stuff that I could attempt. (Answers too, if possible.)
    Do you have the OCR chemistry textbook? There are a few challenging maths questions in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    I got 56 in the breadth paper (the public specimen one). Is that a good score? Because I have no clue I failed at the multi choice though getting 12/20 right!
    56!? Woah, well, I'm not sure if that's good to others but, IMO, that's pretty good for your first exam on the new spec papers. In some schools, I've been hearing that the average is about 30-40 so, y'know your score is pretty good.

Just revise the new spec and try the other breadth paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    That would be 80% so an A (depending on grade boundaries obviously). Well done!

(Original post by Firenze26)
    56!? Woah, well, I'm not sure if that's good to others but, IMO, that's pretty good for your first exam on the new spec papers. In some schools, I've been hearing that the average is about 30-40 so, y'know your score is pretty good.

Just revise the new spec and try the other breadth paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been getting around 30-40

ReputationRep:
    In the new practice depth paper (the one on the google drive link) question 5c where it asks you to identify the molecular formula of alkane X, I identified that the alkane has 7 carbon atoms in it so assumed its formula was C7H16 due to this being the general formula of alkanes. Yet the answer was C7H14, why is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentet)
    In the new practice depth paper (the one on the google drive link) question 5c where it asks you to identify the molecular formula of alkane X, I identified that the alkane has 7 carbon atoms in it so assumed its formula was C7H16 due to this being the general formula of alkanes. Yet the answer was C7H14, why is this?
    They might be asking for a cycloalkane. If that was the case then it would have been C7H14.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.