The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by help1208
guys if i got 44 in paper one and like 26 in paper 2 what grade is that?

Around a D
Original post by oni176
No it said draw at least one product. I checked that couple of times.

I remember reading
Draw both products
Mechanism for one
Why one is formed more than the other
Original post by Jitesh
Around a D

reckon i can take i to a B next year as we are all re-doing
For the question on the oxidation equation for the secondary alcohol i wrote a Word equation. Would i still get the marks? I was unsure of the formula of the ketone.
Original post by Jitesh
What m/z peak comes for 2-methylpropanoic acid but not butanoic acid?

None sadly.. All peaks work for both
Original post by Ajan123
For the question on the oxidation equation for the secondary alcohol i wrote a Word equation. Would i still get the marks? I was unsure of the formula of the ketone.

It didn't specify what to use so you should be fine
Original post by asinghj
It didn't specify what to use so you should be fine

Yh it said write an Equation so I used the molecular formula for each one CxHxO+ [O]----> CxHxO +H2O

I don't know if I should draw a structural formula or what. Do you think I could still get the marks
Original post by asinghj
None sadly.. All peaks work for both

I wrote 2-methylpropanoic acid but spent ages trying to work out what peak would be unique to it lol

What did it exactly mean by it forms a secondary carbocation? That confused me as I could see it was a carboxylic acid...
Original post by UK_Britain
Yh it said write an Equation so I used the molecular formula for each one CxHxO+ [O]----> CxHxO +H2O

I don't know if I should draw a structural formula or what. Do you think I could still get the marks

As long as you used numbers instead of x, as in C4H10O and C4H8O then you should be fine
Original post by Jitesh
I wrote 2-methylpropanoic acid but spent ages trying to work out what peak would be unique to it lol

What did it exactly mean by it forms a secondary carbocation? That confused me as I could see it was a carboxylic acid...

I wrote that peak at 43 only works with 2-methylpropanoic acid lol.

I think by secondary carbonation it means that the charge is on a carbon attached to 2 alkyl groups. If you draw the structure then replace the COOH with a + you will understand what I mean. I can't post pictures on mobile, don't know why.
Original post by asinghj
I wrote that peak at 43 only works with 2-methylpropanoic acid lol.

I think by secondary carbonation it means that the charge is on a carbon attached to 2 alkyl groups. If you draw the structure then replace the COOH with a + you will understand what I mean. I can't post pictures on mobile, don't know why.

But it wasn't charged overall?? It would form a more stable structure being like that but I it didn't have an overall charge/wasn't an intermediate?
Original post by Jitesh
But it wasn't charged overall?? It would form a more stable structure being like that but I it didn't have an overall charge/wasn't an intermediate?

I think that it gets charged by removing an electron, so the CH3CHCH3 + fragment ion would also be charged. If you draw the full structure the charge will be on the carbon with 1 bond broken.
Might be completely wrong but idk
Original post by asinghj
I think that it gets charged by removing an electron, so the CH3CHCH3 + fragment ion would also be charged. If you draw the full structure the charge will be on the carbon with 1 bond broken.
Might be completely wrong but idk

Odd, never seen a statement like what it said in the exam before...

Hopefully the examiner is dopey and just sees the answer and gives me a solid 6
Original post by Jitesh
Odd, never seen a statement like what it said in the exam before...

Hopefully the examiner is dopey and just sees the answer and gives me a solid 6

I hope for the same. Hopefully they ignore the statement about the peak at 43

You are redoing an AS paper which doesn't count towards your final grade? :O
Original post by NotGambit
You are redoing an AS paper which doesn't count towards your final grade? :O

u do realise we are doing A2 with AS next yr again right for exams

Well yeah, or an A
How did you count the number of marks you had?
Original post by asinghj
I hope for the same. Hopefully they ignore the statement about the peak at 43

yeah there must have been a peak that we missed, surely
Original post by Jitesh
Well yeah, or an A
How did you count the number of marks you had?

i estimated bro but i need to work extra hard for A2 ill prob get a C for AS what do u reckon u would get?
Reply 1199
u do realise we are doing A2 with AS next yr again right for exams

Yes. But we don't do breadth and depth ever again. We do three papers next year.
One paper will be on module 1, 2, 3 and 5.
One paper will be on module 1, 2, 4 and 6
The last paper will be on everything.

So you don't retake AS. This AS doesn't count toward your A2 grade. Even if you get 0 marks in this, you can still get 100% in A2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending