Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    You just had to draw it out for one of them. I don't think you had to name the mechanism but I may have although can't remember. You should be fine.
    Yeah it's weird question to figure out how to get all 6 marks. Yeah , I drew out the mechanism for one. And gave the structural formula for the other two. And explained the rule. Hopefully that will be enough. I did expect there to be a lot more ISA questions though on the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    So there would never be any more MCQ? I quite liked the breadth and depth paper layout for chem.
    There still are MCQs but I think in only 1 of the 3 papers. Have a look on the OCR website there are three specimen papers which show what each will be like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    So there would never be any more MCQ? I quite liked the breadth and depth paper layout for chem.
    Papers 1 and 2 next year have 15 MCQ each

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, does it say its for the new spec?
    I guess you can, but I'm not sure if it will contain everything that's in the new spec but will contain most of the information required.
    Oh ok thanksss☺️Do you know of any good textbooks/revision guides & workbooks that are good for both as & a2?

ReputationRep:
    ................................ ....oh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    Yeah it's weird question to figure out how to get all 6 marks. Yeah , I drew out the mechanism for one. And gave the structural formula for the other two. And explained the rule. Hopefully that will be enough. I did expect there to be a lot more ISA questions though on the paper.
    I'm glad there wasn't many of those because I don't like them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    Papers 1 and 2 next year have 15 MCQ each

There still are MCQs but I think in only 1 of the 3 papers. Have a look on the OCR website there are three specimen papers which show what each will be like.
    Thank you guys! Will check it out now. I didn't think the spec released paper 3. Also I read that AS would only count 40% towards the final grade so don't know how that works exactly.

It did say to draw both products but mechanism for one only
    I remember them asking us to write/draw the structural formula. But had no idea whether structural was writing it out or drawing the actual compound. Any ways it's done.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad there wasn't many of those because I don't like them
    I couldn't do that 3 marker they asked on that rate question at all and left it blank. Had no clue what experiment it was on about. Let alone manage a 6 marker on them :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    Thank you guys! Will check it out now. I didn't think the spec released paper 3. Also I read that AS would only count 40% towards the final grade so don't know how that works exactly.

I remember them asking us to write/draw the structural formula. But had no idea whether structural was writing it out or drawing the actual compound. Any ways it's done.
    Your exam results for the AS papers you had mean nothing for A Levels. They are just 'practise'.
    I think it said draw the structure of the 2 possible products.. in which case, and type of formula is fine. I drew displayed formulae, oh well!

ReputationRep:
    Your exam results for the AS papers you had mean nothing for A Levels. They are just 'practise'.
    I think it said draw the structure of the 2 possible products.. in which case, and type of formula is fine. I drew displayed formulae, oh well!
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides...es/tariff-2017
    Read the section on 'Has anything been lowered'

This is why I'm still a bit confused. As I know that AS does not count. Yet our AS papers are being mixed with A2 content?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    If you continue next whatever you did this year doesn't count towards your final grade. So it counts as 0%.

Also there are 3 papers for next year which are different to this year. They're not breadth and depth so in total there are 5 specimen papers, 2 were the ones you did this year and 3 of them cover things that you did this year and what you'll do next year. And they were released a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    The question said draw the mechanism for the formation of one of the products. then it said explain which one is most likely to form. There was nothing that said draw the other. I'm pretty certain because originally I was going to draw both but after reading it like 5 times there was nothing that said draw both so I didn't.
    You had to draw both, because how are you suppost to answer the next question, about major and minor products if you don't even know what the other product may be? you can't guess that one is a secondary and the other is tertiary, you have to draw them out to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UK_Britain)
    You had to draw both, because how are you suppost to answer the next question, about major and minor products if you don't even know what the other product may be? you can't guess that one is a secondary and the other is tertiary, you have to draw them out to see it.
    No because it said explain it. So you had to write how the major one and minor is formed which clearly shows you understand what is being asked and so you are explaining what the other product is. I read it so many times.

ReputationRep:
    No because it said explain it. So you had to write how the major one and minor is formed which clearly shows you understand what is being asked and so you are explaining what the other product is. I read it so many times.
    I can guarantee no one will lose a mark for putting 2 products as long as they're both right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UK_Britain)
    I can guarantee no one will lose a mark for putting 2 products as long as they're both right
    Yh and you won't lose marks for not putting both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides...es/tariff-2017
    Read the section on 'Has anything been lowered'

This is why I'm still a bit confused. As I know that AS does not count. Yet our AS papers are being mixed with A2 content?
    If you drop a subject and keep its AS grade then that is worth 40% of UCAS tarrif rather than 50%.
    But if you carry onto doing the full A level then your As grade doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    Considering many private schools are doing internal exams this year and many of these schools often achieve a considerable percentage (clearly not all) of the A grades in AS subjects each year, (with the added aspect of the more difficult new specification) does anyone think this could impact grade boundaries causing them to be lower??

ReputationRep:
    yh and you won't lose marks for not putting both.
    the question said to draw both products!!

ReputationRep:
    the question said to draw both products!!
    Prove it. Some people are saying both others are saying not both. We can't be sure unless someone actually shows the question. Then we can all agree on one thing. But till then I'm gonna say no it didn't and we can agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, I believe that for the first 6 marker, there were 2 marks for drawing 2 products, 3 marks for mechanism (correct dipoles, correct curly arrows, correct intermediate and product) and then 1 mark for saying why one is made in higher amounts than the other!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.