Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    you know what you can't change your answers anymore, so why ask for an unofficial mark scheme. I take back my words before on asking for an unofficial markscheme. I am confident that I did well. reckon I only lost a few marks. hopefully an A
    Wish you the best of luck mate 😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UK_Britain)
    Look forward to comparing answers for maths. And good luck on your other, btw what are they?
    Further maths
    How did you find C1 and C2?
    I thought they went really well. Hopefully S1 goes just as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    R u actually a teacher?? cos the username could be anything. and this is a student room not a teacher room.
    Also, for my GCSEs I did edexcel IGCSE for biology, chemistry and physics and I got A*s in all of them because they were quite easy. The questions are straight forward because only stuff on the spec, text books, revision guides comes up.
    No, he's a joke. Should be fired if he is. What teacher spends their time on here arguing with students about an exam they didn't even do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    Further maths
    How did you find C1 and C2?
    I thought they went really well. Hopefully S1 goes just as well.
    I hope that too
    C2 was a nice paper, but C1 had too many funny looking numbers, calculation mistakes are inevitable. Do you find normal maths much easier, as you do further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    you know what you can't change your answers anymore, so why ask for an unofficial mark scheme. I take back my words before on asking for an unofficial markscheme. I am confident that I did well. reckon I only lost a few marks. hopefully an A
    We are doing the content again for next year's exam, and it's always best to learn from our mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UK_Britain)
    I hope that too
    C2 was a nice paper, but C1 had too many funny looking numbers, calculation mistakes are inevitable. Do you find normal maths much easier, as you do further?
    I found C1 and C2 quite easy so perhaps yes, but I don't like S1 very much. Although maths has always been my strongest subject so that's why I tend to find it quite easy to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    what do u reckon you got in that depth paper? It was easy apart from the very last question where I put it was butanoic acid when it was actually 2methylpropanoic acid. I guess I would only lose a mark. I reckon 63/70
    My teacher went through the test today she said that the last one in her opinion is butanoic acid and that it's not branched, why do you think it's branched?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1george34)
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme for depth? Can't find one!
    Me neither!

(Original post by ronnydandam)
    that's great - what did you put for the two alcohols you had to draw... I think I put pent-2-ol and pent-3-ol? probs 4 marks lost but wanna check
    Yeah I drew pentanol and pent-2-ol but wasn't sure if it was correct. Is it right anyway? I would assume so as an alcohol is turned into an alkene by hydration in which that question wanted you to apply that knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    Yeah I drew pentanol and pent-2-ol but wasn't sure if it was correct. Is it right anyway? I would assume so as an alcohol is turned into an alkene by hydration in which that question wanted you to apply that knowledge?
    The alkene shown was branched...

(Original post by Jitesh)
    The alkene shown was branched...
    Oh, okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    My teacher went through the test today she said that the last one in her opinion is butanoic acid and that it's not branched, why do you think it's branched?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Print off an IR spectroscopy graph of butanoic acid and 2-methylpropanoic acid and you should see the fingerprint region is more like 2-methylpropanoic acid

And more telling is the mass spectrum, as I remember the m/z relative intensities being more similar to 2-methylpropanoic acid.. but it would be nice to see if you can compare this with the actual paper.

Any grade boundary predictions fo this new AS Chemistry specfication in combination of both papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Print off an IR spectroscopy graph of butanoic acid and 2-methylpropanoic acid and you should see the fingerprint region is more like 2-methylpropanoic acid

And more telling is the mass spectrum, as I remember the m/z relative intensities being more similar to 2-methylpropanoic acid.. but it would be nice to see if you can compare this with the actual paper.
    I don't know about that but all the chem teachers at my school and one of my friend's teacher at different school also thought that it would most likely be butanoic acid looking at all the data provided so don't know really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    I doubt it, as the alkene was like methyl something

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=medicapplicant;65735107]My teacher went through the test today she said that the last one in her opinion is butanoic acid and that it's not branched, why do you think it's branched?

people were saying that on the student room. and I thought about the secondary carbocation caused by the carboxyl group. well if butanoic acid is right then that is great for me

ReputationRep:
    do u reckon the grade boundaries would be 75% for an A. the papers were quite easy but just cos it is a new spec and we had to learn all the content for both papers might slightly lower the grade boundaries. Before, A has been 80-82% but them papers were easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    I don't know about that but all the chem teachers at my school and one of my friend's teacher at different school also thought that it would most likely be butanoic acid looking at all the data provided so don't know really
    it said at the bottom of the page that 43 was a secondary cation

ReputationRep:
    I just had a look at the test today it didn't say anything about cation being secondary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magneticbreach)
    it said at the bottom of the page that 43 was a secondary cation
    I just had a look at the test today it didn't say anything about cation being secondary

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.