Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    It'll only matter if you end up really close to a grade boundary next year. If you're aiming for an A* and got a B on a paper it's literally pointless though.
    Not for this year, since as soon as you start year two all grades are wiped so there is no point of remarking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magneticbreach)
    Not for this year, since as soon as you start year two all grades are wiped so there is no point of remarking.
    So your first year exams aren't counted? That doesn't sound right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    So your first year exams aren't counted? That doesn't sound right.
    No he is right. They changed it. Its now a linear subject just like biology and physics. AS no longer counts towards overall A level. If you drop it after AS you keep your AS grade but if you continue then you have to do both AS as well as A2 together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magneticbreach)
    The only point in remarking is so that you can state that your grade on your ucas application as well as maybe get predicted a higher grade (assuming your remark gets you a higher grade).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    No he is right. They changed it. Its now a linear subject just like biology and physics. AS no longer counts towards overall A level. If you drop it after AS you keep your AS grade but if you continue then you have to do both AS as well as A2 together.
    Ah okay. That's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Ah okay. That's stupid.
    Yep. Its kinda annoying too because AS and A2 will be mixed within papers so theres too much to remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    Yep. Its kinda annoying too because AS and A2 will be mixed within papers so theres too much to remember
    There isn't that much content in an A level so people who work hard should be fine, however I can see it leading to a lot more people failing due to being unprepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    There isn't that much content in an A level so people who work hard should be fine, however I can see it leading to a lot more people failing due to being unprepared.
    There isn't that much but 6 whole modules and your hard work for AS doesn't count. OCR you are a stupid idiot and you better watch out otherwise you are gonna get ...

IT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    This new system will not be very rewarding for people who cram, especially if they do biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    How's NatSci at Cam compared to Sixth form??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    There isn't that much but 6 whole modules and your hard work for AS doesn't count. OCR you are a stupid idiot and you better watch out otherwise you are gonna get ...

IT
    AS is at least some practice sitting A Level exams, which is better than nothing. If it scares people into working harder for the next year then that's good.

(Original post by SGHD26716)
    This new system will not be very rewarding for people who cram, especially if they do biology.
    Agreed. It'll be very rewarding to people who work hard though, which is good.

(Original post by Jitesh)
    How's NatSci at Cam compared to Sixth form??
    Incomparable. Workload every week is so much higher, along with the increased difficulty and supervisions being very draining at times. It's worth every second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    AS is at least some practice sitting A Level exams, which is better than nothing. If it scares people into working harder for the next year then that's good.
    It doesn't necessarily scare people into working harder but instead puts people (at least me) off as they put hard work into the AS only for them to not count for anything smh

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm going to do A-level chemistry next year in OCR eventhough I took my AS exam in AQA and got an A. I'm moving school which explains the change in exam board. I'm wondering if you guys know any YouTube channels that focus on this spec. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcobruni98)
    Hello, I'm going to do A-level chemistry next year in OCR eventhough I took my AS exam in AQA and got an A. I'm moving school which explains the change in exam board. I'm wondering if you guys know any YouTube channels that focus on this spec. Thanks in advance
    MaChemGuy is who I used, really good videos!

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please give me the main questions from the actual depth paper from 2016 It would be really appreciated, thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anemoneblanda)
    Could anyone please give me the main questions from the actual depth paper from 2016 It would be really appreciated, thankyou!
    Mocks this early on in the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Poison)
    Mocks this early on in the year?
    Haha, you got me, were having them super early, mostly due to people wanting to get better predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you got me, were having them super early, mostly due to people wanting to get better predicted grades.
    Work hard, there's no point in cheating.

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could help you but I've forgotten everything on the paper Have a read through the thread, I'm sure people have discussed most of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Work hard, there's no point in cheating.
    I have, but ive got that night-before panic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.