Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesandgreens)
    The CGP biology revision guide for the new specification is absolutely incredible. It is exactly according to the specification- I can safely say CGP has never released a more spot on revision guide. Seriously the best revision guide. Just go to a shop and check it out- you will not be disappointed!
    I have the CGP textbook not the purple text book most classes use and my textbook is so much simpler! My teacher was angry that I got a different one so Im working for an A/B to lol at her

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the CGP book is good but i wouldn't say it was amazing.

What sort of evidence would we need to know for evolution?

I'm guessing fossil record and similarities in DNA and Cytochrome C? But would convergent evolution like the marsupial and placental moles be evidence also? What about the different types of adaptations, could they be evidence as well?

ReputationRep:
    Is there anywhere I can read (or order) an online version of the CGP revision guide? I forgot to order one at the start of the year and have been regretting it ever since

ReputationRep:
    Please may you send me them?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they just split the topics instead of mixing.....

(Original post by Gogregg)
    Yeah, the CGP book is good but i wouldn't say it was amazing.

What sort of evidence would we need to know for evolution?

I'm guessing fossil record and similarities in DNA and Cytochrome C? But would convergent evolution like the marsupial and placental moles be evidence also? What about the different types of adaptations, could they be evidence as well?
    I do not believe that different types of adaptations can be linked to evolution. If this question comes up as a 6 marker, I would definitely mention fossil record, cytochrome C, DNA and the Domain System. I'm not 100% certain about the domain system though.

ReputationRep:
    Guys do we need to know about cell-mediated and Humoral immunity? I can't find it on the specification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardeep98)
    Guys do we need to know about cell-mediated and Humoral immunity? I can't find it on the specification
    Humoral response is B lymphocytes (the antibodies produced)
    Cell-mediated response is T lymphocytes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrooveBomb)
    Is there anywhere I can read (or order) an online version of the CGP revision guide? I forgot to order one at the start of the year and have been regretting it ever since
    Whsmith has it im sure amazon has it as well

ReputationRep:
    No we don't thats just the blooming textbook going into too much detail! But you do need to know the immune response as one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesandgreens)
    No we don't thats just the blooming textbook going into too much detail! But you do need to know the immune response as one
    Yeah i thought so...thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know which practicals we need to know for our first exam. Good luck to all who are taking the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeed.)
    Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know which practicals we need to know for our first exam. Good luck to all who are taking the exam!
    It's mixed so any of the practicals could come up.

Good luck to you too 😄

Does anyone have the practice exam papers that OCR has released? My teacher hasn't gave it to us yet. They already gave it out for chemistry and biology.

ReputationRep:
    The humoral response was a part of the old spec, basically the b lymphocytes directly in body fluids make contact with the antigens, but for the new spec just know about APC cells (i.e. cell medaited immunity)

(Original post by Gogregg)
    Humoral response is B lymphocytes (the antibodies produced)
    Cell-mediated response is T lymphocytes
    I don't think so. When non-specific secondary response questions come up, all you need to state is that the monocytes are drained into the lymphocytes to form a macrophage by the process of phagocytosis, then mentioned ''antigen-presenting cells'' and the cell responses such as the specific shape of T and B lymphocytes along with T-helper cells, T-killer cells, T-memory cells and T-regulator cells etc. That will be a very good 6 marker in my opinion as there is a lot to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aintsohappy)
    Does anyone know what topics are specific to each paper? I.e if there are certain module 2 things that will only be in breadth or depth? Thanks!
    Sadly the papers arnt divided into certain topics. On breadth you can expect to be tested on largely the whole course in not much detail and in depth there will be questions in detail on select topics.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the practice paper and specimen paper for breadth? and what did they get.

ReputationRep:
    For the classification and evolution topic, which calculations do we need to know? and do we get given the formulas in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I realised theres a lot of questions based upon graph, the book i have studied did not go through calculations from graphs or the sort of calculations that came up in practice breadth paper, can someone send me a link to all calculations we need to know please.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.