Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACockyDreamer)
    Haven't learnt anything... What can i revise last minute... Its an afternoon exam ithinnk got enough tine
    Glad to know I'm not the only one

ReputationRep:
    If 42ish/70 is a C I'm definitely in for that big D!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone able to help me out...i'm doing the breadth in biology paper that is on the OCR website and I cannot work out the answer to some of the calculation questions.
    The first one is 24b(ii) i've got 226 and 29 but i can't get the answer which is 3.1 %

The second one is 25(ii), the answer is 5.25

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose.n)
    Is anyone able to help me out...i'm doing the breadth in biology paper that is on the OCR website and I cannot work out the answer to some of the calculation questions.
    The first one is 24b(ii) i've got 226 and 29 but i can't get the answer which is 3.1 %

The second one is 25(ii), the answer is 5.25

Thanks
    for 24b(ii):

You have the difference between the populations, and the number of years the change is over.
    You first need to convert the difference into a percentage increase.

percentage change is ((final value - initial value)/initial value) * 100
    So in this case you do (480 - 254)/254 * 100. This gives you the % increase in the gorilla population over the 29 years.

The question asks for the annual increase, so divide your % change by 29, as it's over 29 years.

For 25(ii):

This is asking for the minimum rate, so we'll be looking at the lowest line on the graph, in this case the one with 5 leaves covered.

On a time graph, the rate at a given point is the same as the gradient of the line there. As this is a straight line, the gradient will be the same all along it so it doesn't matter which points we use, as long as the line passes through them.

Gradient is the change in y divided by the change in x, so let's get some values from the line. Try to find numbers that are whole and not decimals.

The line passes through (3,16) and (0,0), so the gradient is given by (16-0)/(3-0) = 16/3 = 5.33mm min^-1

This was marked right on my mock, so I assume it's within the given range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddFuturez)
    42/70 on the specimen paper is around B/C, in biology, it usually >70% raw is an A, if it was 62/70, very few people would achieve an A

ReputationRep:
    I've revised and i literally know nothing. Im stressed so bad about this exam. If the course is linear, why am i having to do this exam now? also I'm probably going to have to re sit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Adaeze)
    The problem with OCR is that their questions are too vague but their mark schemes too strict- I'm not getting the marks on the specimen paper even though my answers are completely valid. Why have they not given us a range of possible responses we can have to score marks like in the past papers??
    Please tell me in the actual thing tomorrow there'll be a range of answers we can give!!!
    Yeah they will, don't worry. The specimen materials were rushed to get it out in time...everyone is in the same position so don't fret just read each question carefully because they're not going to be complex, just short worded answers.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to everyone taking the exam tomorrow My playlist is in the original post if you want to watch it as it contains all the topics for tomorrows exam in nice small chunks (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...k8KrkVuHHtjNWM). If you have any questions for last minute revision please feel free to ask on the videos or via email Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    we are doing brand new spec. We are first year there are no past papers! We're the hamsters

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Can anyone help me with question 21
    Part b.

part b only Name:  image.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  388.2 KBplease. I have no idea how start 😊😊😊😊😊

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxross)
    we are doing brand new spec. We are first year there are no past papers! We're the hamsters
    We sure are! haha but it could work within our favor hopefully!
    It's gonna be hard but just think through each question, you've got a lot of time.
    And if you don't do as well on this paper, you've always got the Depth paper in which i'd say is gonna be a lot less stressful hahha

ReputationRep:
    Don't even do A level maths and some of the mathsy stuff in the papers looks a tad bit difficult imo....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariamjaan)
    Hey

Can anyone help me with question 21
    Part b.

part b only Name:  image.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  388.2 KBplease. I have no idea how start 😊😊😊😊😊

Thanks
    You need to calculate the area of both the lumen of the artery and the vein, so using (pi)r^2 and then find the ratio between

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brodingoson)
    You need to calculate the area of both the lumen of the artery and the vein, so using (pi)r^2 and then find the ratio between
    Remember the vein is square so pi(r^2) is only usable for the artery

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me if serial dilution is on the spec ? My teacher taught it to us in class but I can't find it in the text book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mia66)
    Can someone tell me if serial dilution is on the spec ? My teacher taught it to us in class but I can't find it in the text book
    yep pretty sure it is. I hate it

ReputationRep:
    Page 92

(Original post by Hmb28)
    Normally the grades go 80% A ,70% B , 60% C ,50% D and so on. Roughly need 42/70 on this paper to get a c grade
    You can even get a lower mark for a C grade. It really depends on the difficulty of the paper.

They could lower the grade boundaries because we're taking the new specification and we may score poorly in an examination as we are not used to the marking criteria. However, if the exam is a bit straightforward with no hard questions involved, then 80% for an A, 70% for a B, 60% for a C theory might work. It really depends on how people find the exam tomorrow afternoon.

(Original post by OddFuturez)
    You'll never know. It could be lowered even further. It depends on how we find the exam tomorrow afternoon so don't stress about it.

Bare in mind this is a new specification. I think examiners will take this factor into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brodingoson)
    Yeah they will, don't worry. The specimen materials were rushed to get it out in time...everyone is in the same position so don't fret just read each question carefully because they're not going to be complex, just short worded answers.
    Oh thank sweet merciful Jesus Christ Jehovah Allah Science Karma The Universe YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Are you 100% sure?! *Cries from happiness*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.