The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 11234
For the zoo question did anyone put use artifical insemination or invitro fertilisation

Yeah i did and my friend.
Original post by 11234
Really why?

Same! I written about IVF, did you find out if its right/wrong? thanks
Reply 862
Original post by 11234
For the zoo question did anyone put use artifical insemination or invitro fertilisation

Lol i got home and asked my mum that question and she said i should have put that. I put some random crap about in situ and stuff😂
Reply 863
Original post by Normy18
Same! I written about IVF, did you find out if its right/wrong? thanks

I see why not unless it was part of the captive breeding programme which I'm unsure of
Reply 864
Original post by iamDev
Lol i got home and asked my mum that question and she said i should have put that. I put some random crap about in situ and stuff😂

Is she a teacher?
Does anyone have a draft markscheme?
I said IVF as well:smile:
I put something along those lines also - thought I was the only one.
Reply 868
Original post by 11234
Is she a teacher?

Nope shes a vet but that was her view i guess
Reply 869
Hi,
Sat the exam today after very little revision, but I thought that the questions were very vague and required very specific answers.
Found the whole question on translocation utterly ridiculous as the points in the table were so vague and the questions were worded so badly.
I HATE the multiple choice as I like to explain all my answers, I've made so many silly mistakes on those questions just because I cannot explain or evaluate my points.
All in all, far to much content as a course (and as a stand alone AS!!) with an exam that tests unrealistic and specific knowledge with poor questions.

Such a shame.
Reply 870
I would say the exam had some easy questions. But I thought that was expected as this is the breadth paper. However there were some weird questions there as well.
Looks like i'm dropping biology, :s-smilie: goshhhhhhhh :frown:
Original post by SGHD26716
I would say the exam had some easy questions. But I thought that was expected as this is the breadth paper. However there were some weird questions there as well.

There were some very weird questions! Some just required common sense, weird exam..
Original post by abxo
i put that collagen is thick and insoluble therefore the O2 would not be able to diffuse out of it, but that the capillary wall is perforated allowing small molecules such as O2 to move out under high hydrostatic pressures - is that wrong?

i dont think so seems good
Original post by ludo4
Hi,
Sat the exam today after very little revision, but I thought that the questions were very vague and required very specific answers.
Found the whole question on translocation utterly ridiculous as the points in the table were so vague and the questions were worded so badly.
I HATE the multiple choice as I like to explain all my answers, I've made so many silly mistakes on those questions just because I cannot explain or evaluate my points.
All in all, far to much content as a course (and as a stand alone AS!!) with an exam that tests unrealistic and specific knowledge with poor questions.

Such a shame.

The questions for this one were fine, I think, only the specimens and practice papers were bad. Obviously, there's no official mark scheme, but these questions were pretty nice and specifc, with clear answers required and they jogged your mind well.

Spoiler

Original post by Hmb28
I had neither the revision guide or the Pearson textbook so I relied on the spec

What did your school give you?
Did they print the spec off for you at least? :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by h3rmit
The questions for this one were fine, I think, only the specimens and practice papers were bad. Obviously, there's no official mark scheme, but these questions were pretty nice and specifc, with clear answers required and they jogged your mind well.

Spoiler

I have to agree the questions weren't worded as well as they could have been but that's expected if they've got newer examiners for the new spec if the other ones are doing the resit papers still
Original post by Jitesh
I have to agree the questions weren't worded as well as they could have been but that's expected if they've got newer examiners for the new spec if the other ones are doing the resit papers still

According to the uncompleted unofficial mark scheme, from all the people on here conferring answers and being quite harsh on my marking, I've dropped around 11 marks
So 59/70, do reckon that'll be an A?
Original post by brodingoson
According to the uncompleted unofficial mark scheme, from all the people on here conferring answers and being quite harsh on my marking, I've dropped around 11 marks
So 59/70, do reckon that'll be an A?

yeah, haven't heard of a biology AS paper asking for more than 80% for an A regardless of exam board/spec
But it's hard to be certain as I felt with most of the MCQ you could get them with educated guesses and eliminating ones it couldn't be without much thought
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 879
Original post by h3rmit

Spoiler

Sorry I should have made myself clearer, I did revise but not as extensively as I should have done (due to having so many other exams that were more important).
I agree, some questions were clear, for example the root hair question clearly indicated an answer with reference to water potential was required, but others were vague (e.g the last question).
It may just be that the last question has clouded my memory.
But in my opinion the old system was far better as revision could be more structured and in depth because of the topics being split.

Quick Reply

Latest