Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Didn't the question ask about polynucleotides?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brodingoson)
    Didn't the question ask about polynucleotides?
    It did. Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleic acids to form poly nucleotides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    It did. Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleic acids to form poly nucleotides.
    I can't remember whether it said the bonding of 2 polynucleotides or 2 nucleotide molecules

ReputationRep:
    Don't you guys think the biology questions are vague? They're not really clear

ReputationRep:
    What's the best way to revise for the depth paper on Tuesday ? I've been over everything and I just feel it's useless to keep going over notes as its not actually getting me anywhere. Feel like every time I get to a question my mind goes blank so I'm trying to do all past papers. Does anyone have like any resources where you can apply your knowledge instead of just reciting facts ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Issy2906)
    What's the best way to revise for the depth paper on Tuesday ? I've been over everything and I just feel it's useless to keep going over notes as its not actually getting me anywhere. Feel like every time I get to a question my mind goes blank so I'm trying to do all past papers. Does anyone have like any resources where you can apply your knowledge instead of just reciting facts ?
    Have you tried the legacy papers?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried the legacy papers?
    Could you tell me where can you find legacy papers please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayP454)
    Could you tell me where can you find legacy papers please?
    Just simple type in OCR biology legacy papers in google

(Original post by SolomonP)
    I think that was just water after the condensation reaction
    But the question said ''What is the chemical produced when two nucleotides bond together?''. I thought water could be the answer but when I read it again I put RNA/Nucleic acid. The part where it said ''two nucleotides bond together'' confused me a bit.

(Original post by OddFuturez)
    Don't you guys think the biology questions are vague? They're not really clear
    Yeah, that's the first thing I said after doing that exam paper. The questions are asked in a way that students can come up with many logical answers. Hopefully they won't be very strict when marking the papers.

(Original post by SGHD26716)
    Does anyone have the locked specimen papers for depth in biology?

Also, for evolution, how much of a focus should be put on Wallace?
    You just need to know the evidence of evolution and Darwin's observations as well as calculating standard deviation, t-test etc.
    Also, a good idea of natural selection needs to be known (e.g. intraspecific variation causes species to overcome selective pressure etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    But the question said ''What is the chemical produced when two nucleotides bond together?''. I thought water could be the answer but when I read it again I put RNA/Nucleic acid. The part where it said ''two nucleotides bond together'' confused me a bit.
    Yeah that confused me as well, i thought the question asked
    'What is the chemical produced when two Polynucleotides bond together?'', so i was like whatttt haha

Yeah that confused me as well, i thought the question asked
    'What is the chemical produced when two Polynucleotides bond together?'', so i was like whatttt haha
    Yeah, literally spent 2 minutes thinking ''What is this?'' and literally gave up putting RNA/nucleic acid. I thought they were looking at the monomer of nucleotides, as joining smaller molecules make a polymer? Maybe it's wrong ;(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    Yeah, literally spent 2 minutes thinking ''What is this?'' and literally gave up putting RNA/nucleic acid. I thought they were looking at the monomer of nucleotides, as joining smaller molecules make a polymer? Maybe it's wrong ;(
    It asked what type of reaction occurs - condensation
    Then it asked what molecule is released or something - water molecule
    If you draw the structure, you can see the water molecule is being released when the phosphodiester bond forms.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember whether it said the bonding of 2 polynucleotides or 2 nucleotide molecules
    You're getting confused with ADP and ATP I think, looking at your other posts, as they are phosphorylated nucleotides.

The question was asking about nucleotides joining together to form polynucleotides

I don't think CGP or the Pearson textbook tell you clearly that forming a phosphodiester bond is via a condensation reaction which releases a water molecule

(Original post by Jitesh)
    It asked what type of reaction occurs - condensation
    Then it asked what molecule is released or something - water molecule
    If you draw the structure, you can see the water molecule is being released when the phosphodiester bond forms.
    So Ribonucleic acid is wrong? Could they accept the answer or just mark it as wrong

ReputationRep:
    In evidence for evolution, my textbook includes comparative anatomy and homologous structures, although the spec doesn't mention this. Do we need to know this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    You're getting confused with ADP and ATP I think, looking at your other posts, as they are phosphorylated nucleotides.

The question was asking about nucleotides joining together to form polynucleotides

I don't think CGP or the Pearson textbook tell you clearly that forming a phosphodiester bond is via a condensation reaction which releases a water molecule
    yeah I would've put water if i read the question properly haha, thanks tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    In evidence for evolution, my textbook includes comparative anatomy and homologous structures, although the spec doesn't mention this. Do we need to know this?
    No, I don't think so. My book says that the only evidence we need to know is the similar biological molecules, cytocrhome C, RNA, fossil evdience, characteristcs and behavioural....that's all i can think of, if that Q came up

Don't take my word for it tho haha

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so. My book says that the only evidence we need to know is the similar biological molecules, cytocrhome C, RNA, fossil evdience, characteristcs and behavioural....that's all i can think of, if that Q came up

Don't take my word for it tho haha
    How much does your book talk about cyctochrome c and ribosomal RNA. Mine just mentions that cyctochrome c is an example of protein and RNA for DNA evidence

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.